First line of this article is mind blowing...

whodeawhodat

4 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Here is a depressing statistic for all of you Jets fans that underscores how miserable this team’s quarterback history has been: Ryan Fitzpatrick moved past Geno Smith into eighth place in team history with 6,157 passing yards as a Jet.

Just for reference, Fitzpatrick would be 6th in New England, 6th in Miami and he is 4th in Buffalo, purely based on passing yards according to pro-football-reference.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

No I disagree that it is a lot easier to play QB, it's easier to put up #s but it's harder to play the position.

Joe couldn't survive when lineman were the size of QBs today, what do you think he'd do against much bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players today?

joe would've done better.  people forget that joe was actucally pretty big for a qb in his day.  he's about average size now.  and don't forget about all of the rules designed to protect qb's and receivers that have come down in the past 20 years.  true enough about the size and speed of some of today's players but don't forget that what's assumed is joe would also benefit from the same training.  imo the only qb in recent history who comes close to him in talent and they way they approach the game is marino.  and he wasn't wasn't half bad.

23 minutes ago, rangerous said:

joe would've done better.  people forget that joe was actucally pretty big for a qb in his day.  he's about average size now.  and don't forget about all of the rules designed to protect qb's and receivers that have come down in the past 20 years.  true enough about the size and speed of some of today's players but don't forget that what's assumed is joe would also benefit from the same training.  imo the only qb in recent history who comes close to him in talent and they way they approach the game is marino.  and he wasn't wasn't half bad.

rules are there to protect QBs from dying or being permanently injured, they get hit harder today than ever before playing against bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic defenders.

he played in his era and was damaged goods from the start, I wish the an was healthy but he wasn't and b/c of that had an overrated, mediocre career.

32 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Just for reference, Fitzpatrick would be 6th in New England, 6th in Miami and he is 4th in Buffalo, purely based on passing yards according to pro-football-reference.

26 minutes ago, rangerous said:

right, it's a pretty meaningless stat.

For those teams as they have had cornerstone franchise QBs in place for long periods of time.  we have churned through a ton of sh*t at qb.  that was my point, all the sh*t qbs we have and 2 of our top ten of all time were on our roster at the same time this year.  

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

rules are there to protect QBs from dying or being permanently injured, they get hit harder today than ever before playing against bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic defenders.

he played in his era and was damaged goods from the start, I wish the an was healthy but he wasn't and b/c of that had an overrated, mediocre career.

I think the new rules to protect the Qb have been put in place because of the hard hits and beatings they took. Owners want to better protect their multi million dollar investments.

Eddie LaBaron and Quincy Carter are 8 and 9 for the Cowboys...followed by Steve Peuller and Craig Morton.

The Patriots? Matt Cassell and Mike Taliaferro.

49'ers?  They've had good QB's.  Steve DeBerg and Frankie Albert (Spurrier is 10th).

The Packers? David Whitehurst and Arnie Herber.

Pretty sure every franchise has terrible QB's rounding off their top 10 all times passers.

Stupid stat. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Eddie LaBaron and Quincy Carter are 8 and 9 for the Cowboys...followed by Steve Peuller and Craig Morton.

The Patriots? Matt Cassell and Mike Taliaferro.

49'ers?  They've had good QB's.  Steve DeBerg and Frankie Albert (Spurrier is 10th).

The Packers? David Whitehurst and Arnie Herber.

Pretty sure every franchise has terrible QB's rounding off their top 10 all times passers.

Stupid stat. 

Craig Morton was the starting QB for two franchises that reached SBs.  

23 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

why are the jets the only team that drafts qbs but can't play them so they keep bringing in bridge qbs?  how is a bridge qb any better than petty or hack anyway?  they suck by definition.  

Exactly. The Jets are losing with Fitz. Couldn't they do the same with Petty and at least eliminate him as a candidate for the QB job? I know it is Bowles job to win games, but he is beating a dead horse with Fitzpatrick and the team is no closer to knowing who Petty is - or maybe isn't. I say the team, but the team sees him in practice every day, so he must be stinking it up monumentally to not be a better option than Fitz.

Archived