Jets missing the boat on CFL players...

Beerfish

11 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Rather the resources go into talent identification within the NFL and college than mining for gold in Canada. And that's no knock against the CFL, just how it is.

Only takes one scout to look at players who have played pro for a few years and developed as oppose to playing for west tuskeggee state.  Hey no on is saying the CFL should be heavily mined but the 'under any rock' philosophy should apply there as well.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am old, I played and coached with a bunch of guys.  One of my coaches was Canadian and a bunch of guys would go from league to league - US, Italy, Canada, France, Switzerland.  I also have the internet.  I look stuff up!  Mitchell is in the CFL HOF and I knew he was from Edmonton.  I checked their roster and remembered Bowman and Hazelton.  They are both probably too old to consider and I didn't know the Walker guy that Beerfish was touting, so I looked up his draft profile.  The internet makes refreshing your recollection super easy.  I used to have to wait to visit my uncle upstate and comb through his Buschbaum and Kiper draft guides. 

2015:  12 games, 89 receptions, 1110 yards, 6 tds, longest 62 yards  (rookie of the year)

2016: 18 games, 109 receptions, 1589 yards, 10 tds, longest 104 yards.  (All CFL team)

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They still wouldn't win a championship 

Good point. Plus when we convert 9 Canadian wins back to US wins it would only be 6.80.

Let's scrap this idea just isn't going to work out.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Only takes one scout to look at players who have played pro for a few years and developed as oppose to playing for west tuskeggee state.  Hey no on is saying the CFL should be heavily mined but the 'under any rock' philosophy should apply there as well.

Yep agree and I assume Freddie Bishop getting a chance is part of us doing that. 

"west tuskeggee state ..." :lol:

On January 4, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Beerfish said:

I was not on the bishop bandwagon when we signed him, he did hang around though and I thought he'd just get cut so maybe there is something there.

I though he actually looked decent the past two games. Held up agains the run at times; does not really have that burst around the edge we need but certainly is depth quality 

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Beltre is fodder, maybe shouldn't say that but he is like bishop more or less, didn't stand out in the league to any big degree.

Certainly an end of the roster type of player - looks like a good ST guy. Nothing to get too excited about 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Beltre is fodder, maybe shouldn't say that but he is like bishop more or less, didn't stand out in the league to any big degree.

But could have a role whether STs or some type of D package.  We all know Jets need ST players. 

Archived