Get a weapon, build the OL, evaluate Petty + Hack

nico002

Mike Williams can't run and while I like Davis, it takes college receivers their 1st year to fully understand the pro game .  Who in this draft can compete with Odell for superstar status in this town and not be a QB . The Jets need a star, and this kid is clean, well spoken, comes from a nice family and is a supremely talented football player .  He can set this town on it's ear on special team and catching passes out of the backfield .

There's one other thing that's important that some will not touch. He's a white kid playing a position that not many white kids play in the NFL today and he plays the position well . That kid would be a marketing gold mine for the Jets .  If possible, my 1st 2 picks in this draft barring a QB would be McCaffrey and Evan Engram . 

I really want Trubisky thou .

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

He's not going to be a running back on this team in 2017 .  The Jets are stuck with Powell and Forte' in 2017, so McCaffrey will primary be a returner and slot receiver. There's no Brandon Marshall this year, so like it or not, Eric Decker is the lead receiver  .  His days in the slot are done and after this year, probably so will he . .

**** that. Don't use a top 10 pick on a returner and slot receiver. Slot receivers aren't unicorns. They can be found way later in the draft.

You basically want a gimmick player in the top 10. No thanks. If you just draft him and give him 18-22 touches per game from the RB position, then fine. A rookie isn't going to come in and automagically be a multi-position stud. There are players that can be had later that fit the Gio Bernard role in an offense. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

You can throw sanchez into that equation. 

Sanchez was drafted and the Jets had the #1 defense in the league. This dude in a 2 season span ties Namath for the most playoff wins by a Jets QB. 

Same guy cant get a starting job in the league today. You have a point. However, Tom Brady developed into an actual QB. Sanchez didnt. Look at a guy like Drew Brees. Could you imagine if the Saints had a top 15 defense, not even top 5? Brees would have atleast 2 or 3 more championships. Having the worst defense in the league means you dont even make the playoffs. With that said though, Drew Brees is still Drew Brees. 

Similar situation with Rivers. People call Rivers a stats-padder. I see it more as him being a victim of bad situational coaching and a leaky defense. Rivers is still a good QB though. So, the #2 team could draft Tom Brady and not be successful, but that doesnt mean that Tom Brady ultimately sucked. It's a team sport. As a team, the #2 team isnt balanced. Atleast the #1 team could keep teams from scoring. 

You can have the #1 team and win with Brock Osweiler, or you can have the #2 team and lose with Drew Brees. 

There is a reason defense helps young QB aside from the obvious

1.  With good defense and young QB they inevitable makes mistakes (int, fumble, or just incomplete).  A good defense helps them out by getting the ball back quicker and hopefully without other team adding to score

2.  With good defense and Young Buck QB you do not have to ask him to do too much like pass a lot because you are so behind in the score (pass a lot make a lot of INT)

3.  With Good defense and Young Buckaroo at helm. If you defense is really good and createing a lot of 3 and outs for opposing Offense which thereby keeps opposing defense on the field making them more tired that also helps your young QB and rest of the defense.

4.  All QB are ultimately judge by W and L even if you have adequate QB but you continue to lose fans and teams lose patience looking for a do-over at QB

but the best reason it helps a young QB is he gets more attempts in the game.  If opposing offenses are going up and down the field using up all the time in the game that just takes away from your young QB reps and chances to prove himself which nobody has the patiences for.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Seems pretty simple to me. Outside of the DL, there's not a position group on this team that isn't in need of help. BAP, weighted by positional value, is the way I'd hope they go. So rather than the RB or Safety, I'd reach a little for the best pass rusher or the WR that helped make the QB I have serious reservations about look so good (Williams). 

Lots of depth in the secondary of this draft, so take a couple. It's a weak OL draft, so the higher rated guys will almost all be overdrafted due to their scarcity. Same with the QBs. I'd prefer they double up on pass rushers than reach for a weaker position group. 

TE just doesn't have the positional value making it worthy of a #6 overall. Unless you think he's Gronkowski, but healthier. 

Bingo. 

I just posted similar thread in draft forum. I agree except with going D next year. 

McCaffrey

Ross

Howard

eqch one is a dynamic versatile threat that elevates the offense as a whole and takes pressure off the defense. Mcaffrey and Ross a valuable ST and Howard, a three down TE helpful in the running game.

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

There is a reason defense helps young QB aside from the obvious

1.  With good defense and young QB they inevitable makes mistakes (int, fumble, or just incomplete).  A good defense helps them out by getting the ball back quicker and hopefully without other team adding to score

2.  With good defense and Young Buck QB you do not have to ask him to do too much like pass a lot because you are so behind in the score (pass a lot make a lot of INT)

3.  With Good defense and Young Buckaroo at helm. If you defense is really good and createing a lot of 3 and outs for opposing Offense which thereby keeps opposing defense on the field making them more tired that also helps your young QB and rest of the defense.

4.  All QB are ultimately judge by W and L even if you have adequate QB but you continue to lose fans and teams lose patience looking for a do-over at QB

but the best reason it helps a young QB is he gets more attempts in the game.  If opposing offenses are going up and down the field using up all the time in the game that just takes away from your young QB reps and chances to prove himself which nobody has the patiences for.

This is all very true, but I feel like you have a point behind this. What's your point? Are you trying to say that we should be going defense in the 1st round? I am by no means disagreeing with your position. Im just wondering why you're bringing it to my attention. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

This is all very true, but I feel like you have a point behind this. What's your point? Are you trying to say that we should be going defense in the 1st round? I am by no means disagreeing with your position. Im just wondering why you're bringing it to my attention. 

no I have no preference in 1st round as I think it should be BPA whoever they pick as Jets have a lot of holes.  So I am ok with Offense or Defense.  I just dont agree with the assumption that says ignore BPA and heavily draft offense to help young QB.

The only thing I am opposed to is drafting one of the QB

Do not draft a defensive lineman over a safety or CB.  This passing league is a lso a quick passing league.  The Jets so called strength is the D line and teams just learned to throw the ball quicker, especially when our DB's cannot play press coverage.  I think we need to work backwards. An Improved secondary can help the D line more.   

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

That's a successful 2017 regardless of record.

Put the pieces you need to really evaluate a QB and play the young guys.

If they show nothing go all in on a QB in 2018 and they'll have a great offensive foundation to join.

then go all defense in 2019

Not bad thinking

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Do not draft a defensive lineman over a safety or CB.  This passing league is a lso a quick passing league.  The Jets so called strength is the D line and teams just learned to throw the ball quicker, especially when our DB's cannot play press coverage.  I think we need to work backwards. An Improved secondary can help the D line more.   

I think the way offenses work today, it is not difficult to exploit a defense based on what the defense presents. 

The best way to help a Dline IMO is by improving the offense

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

no I have no preference in 1st round as I think it should be BPA whoever they pick as Jets have a lot of holes.  So I am ok with Offense or Defense.  I just dont agree with the assumption that says ignore BPA and heavily draft offense to help young QB.

The only thing I am opposed to is drafting one of the QB

Okay, understand. I think when we deal with BPA it should be in reference of need. It doesnt have to be so black and white in that regard. We have a defensive-minded head coach. Generally speaking, we should be able to hit on defensive players, especially in the later rounds given that this area of football he's considered "skilled" at. Bowles should be able to evaluate and notice talent in the later rounds on defense. 

Also, we have 1 playmaker on this team, and its on the defense. That's Leonard Williams. We have another if he's able to bounce back, his name is Mo Wilkerson, we also have solid players such as Sheldon if we dont trade him. We have no playmakers whatsoever on offense. Sure, we have solid players such as Bilal Powell or Quincy Enunwa as well as some talent that we feel could develop into something, but no current playmakers. 

As much as I agree with your position, I also feel like the wealth needs to be spread around. This offense needs some offensive power. Getting a playmaker can do that. The best opportunity to guarantee such a player is to get him with our first pick in the draft. 

Also, we hear that this is a defensive heavy draft, and I agree with that, I also hear its pretty solid in regards to TE's, which I also agree with. I believe that a defensive minded coach should be able to get playmaker/solid talent in the 2nd round or later in a defensive heavy draft, and I also believe that we could do better for our offense by picking another position in the top 6 that isnt a tight end in a draft that is loaded with quality TE's. 

So though I understand that BPA position, it shouldnt totally disregard need. We need a CB and a FS. I have no problem getting guys like Kevin King or Obi Melifonwu in later rounds while passing on guys like Malik Hooker or Marshone Lattimore in order to get a an offensive playmaker when I believe that both Kind and Meli could be day 1 starters. 

If I believe that then it supports the theory of this being a defensive heavy draft while at the same time securing playmaker talent for the Offense. We need to also make sure that we provide such a player for our new OC. This is a guy who was a WR coach, which is partly why I also picked a WR late that had some qualities that could be developed. At the end of the day the OC is only as good as the talent on the field, and though Defense is mightily important, we need to also provide some cushion for this defense to work with. Not all of our problems will be fixed in one offseason. But outside of already having a playmaker on defense, we also addressed the secondary in free agency. Sure, we also addressed the Oline in free agency, but its with a guy who came back from injury and didnt have a good season. Im not trusting that. 

Bowles is defensive minded and Macc's most successful draft pick has been defense. We need to provide opportunity for our OC to put something together, especially if we're talking about evaluating quarterbacks. We can do that in a season that isnt overall successful in respects to wins and losses. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Okay, understand. I think when we deal with BPA it should be in reference of need. It doesnt have to be so black and white in that regard. We have a defensive-minded head coach. Generally speaking, we should be able to hit on defensive players, especially in the later rounds given that this area of football he's considered "skilled" at. Bowles should be able to evaluate and notice talent in the later rounds on defense. 

Also, we have 1 playmaker on this team, and its on the defense. That's Leonard Williams. We have another if he's able to bounce back, his name is Mo Wilkerson, we also have solid players such as Sheldon if we dont trade him. We have no playmakers whatsoever on offense. Sure, we have solid players such as Bilal Powell or Quincy Enunwa as well as some talent that we feel could develop into something, but no current playmakers. 

As much as I agree with your position, I also feel like the wealth needs to be spread around. This offense needs some offensive power. Getting a playmaker can do that. The best opportunity to guarantee such a player is to get him with our first pick in the draft. 

Also, we hear that this is a defensive heavy draft, and I agree with that, I also hear its pretty solid in regards to TE's, which I also agree with. I believe that a defensive minded coach should be able to get playmaker/solid talent in the 2nd round or later in a defensive heavy draft, and I also believe that we could do better for our offense by picking another position in the top 6 that isnt a tight end in a draft that is loaded with quality TE's. 

So though I understand that BPA position, it shouldnt totally disregard need. We need a CB and a FS. I have no problem getting guys like Kevin King or Obi Melifonwu in later rounds while passing on guys like Malik Hooker or Marshone Lattimore in order to get a an offensive playmaker when I believe that both Kind and Meli could be day 1 starters. 

If I believe that then it supports the theory of this being a defensive heavy draft while at the same time securing playmaker talent for the Offense. We need to also make sure that we provide such a player for our new OC. This is a guy who was a WR coach, which is partly why I also picked a WR late that had some qualities that could be developed. At the end of the day the OC is only as good as the talent on the field, and though Defense is mightily important, we need to also provide some cushion for this defense to work with. Not all of our problems will be fixed in one offseason. But outside of already having a playmaker on defense, we also addressed the secondary in free agency. Sure, we also addressed the Oline in free agency, but its with a guy who came back from injury and didnt have a good season. Im not trusting that. 

Bowles is defensive minded and Macc's most successful draft pick has been defense. We need to provide opportunity for our OC to put something together, especially if we're talking about evaluating quarterbacks. We can do that in a season that isnt overall successful in respects to wins and losses. 

I dont disagree I just hope we come away with starters or part time starters at FS, NB, TE, and RB..  I would love to see a TJ Watt and a Cunningham too if Macc could pull a miracle,  then maybe C and swing tackle, and a WR if the value is there.  I would not be opposed to Williams in 1st either.

I just wish we get it over with and stop the guessing.  I think Macc and his scouts will do a good job.

Archived