Christian Hackenberg shows progress: Three practices, no picks

Gas2No99

Christian Hackenberg shows progress: Three practices, no picks

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0731%2Fr238406_1

Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg appear to have separated themselves from Bryce Petty in the early going at Jets camp. AP Photo/Seth Wenig

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets' quarterback competition is on.

After three days, Christian Hackenberg has proven he's not the same tentative, scatter-armed rookie who stunk up the field in training camp last summer. It's too early to say he has closed the gap on Josh McCown -- Monday was the first practice in pads -- but he has narrowed it.

A look at the competition, which also includes Bryce Petty.

JOSH McCOWN

McCown worked with the starters for the third straight day, which shows he's in the pole position. He was animated throughout practice, showing energy and trying to inspire his teammates. His overall performance was so-so -- 11-for-16 in 22 reps.

Wow moment: There weren't any real "wow" moments, as McCown relied heavily on check-down passes. He didn't take many shots downfield. Later, coach Todd Bowles explained, saying McCown stayed underneath because the defense played a lot of zone.

Whoa moment: In a 7-on-7 period, McCown double pumped, but the ball came out of his hand and went directly to the ground. It cost him an easy completion and he was clearly mad at himself.

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG

Once again, he was the second-man up in the rotation, which hasn't varied. Hackenberg got just as many reps as McCown (22), but none came with the starters. He held the ball too long on a few plays, but he also demonstrated the best arm strength of the three. This was a solid day for Hackenberg (9-for-15, two drops), who has yet to throw an interception in three practices.

Wow moment: He hit Lucky Whitehead on an intermediate crossing route for big yards. It was a touch/timing throw, the kind of pass he'll need to master if he wants to succeed in their West Coast offense.

Whoa moment: Hackenberg was pulled out of a 7-on-7 period, apparently because he messed up a play or a formation at the line of scrimmage. A couple of minutes later, he zipped a long completion to Deshon Foxx on a skinny post. Such is life with a young quarterback -- some good, some bad.

BRYCE PETTY

Petty's rep count dropped off considerably (only nine). One-day aberration or the start of a trend? Bowles has refused to give any details about his overall plan, but there appears to be separation between McCown/Hackenberg and Petty.

Wow moment: Sorry, nothing on Monday.

Whoa moment: He ended practice with three straight incompletions.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Good news and interesting how Morton/staff could be working on his confidence, ease into reps with the starters, make him earn it first

let's hope this continues - would love to see this kid develop (and prove me wrong)

I like how Morton pulled him for a rep b/c he didn't get out of the huddle in time.  Morton is such a hardass I love it.  But the important part is it didn't affect Hack.  He came back in after that rep and put a dime to Foxx and then another nice completion right after it.  I've always liked his adversity and I guess it was on display today after getting called out and sidelined.

Keep up the good work Hack!

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I like how Morton pulled him for a rep b/c he didn't get out of the huddle in time.  Morton is such a hardass I love it.  But the important part is it didn't affect Hack.  He came back in after that rep and put a dime to Foxx and then another nice completion right after it.  I've always liked his adversity and I guess it was on display today after getting called out and sidelined.

Keep up the good work Hack!

Yup, and hopefully one day soon Hack is seen throwing a player out of the huddle for not knowing what's going on in there, or not paying attention in practice establishing Alpha Dog status, and nothing but excellence will be tolerated under his watch, that's when you will know we're set at QB.  Hope it happens.

This is how I look at this Hackenberg situation. If Brock Osweiller, Tyrod Taylor, RG3, Ryan Tannyhill, Blake Bortles & Trevor Siemian were all starting QBs last year, give Hack the damn ball & lets see what the kids got. He sat one year, let him grow up through adversity & see who earns his trust on offense and that's how you build chemistry.

Just seeing a guy that can just flick the ball downfield after watching Fitz heaving the damn thing winding up will be a pleasure.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Way to Jinx him, Gas.

Everyone wants to know about Marcus Maye? Beautiful coverage to intercept a Hackenberg pass in 1-on-1. Ran Marshall's route for him #Je

:D

I'm sure Hack threw him a bone so Maye could get some press and Hack gets it out of his system early. Besides, it wasn't TEAM drills.

Archived