Bowles Talks Enunwa, QB Battle

JetNation

bowles_kay.png

New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles sits down with Michael Kay to discuss Qunicy Enunwa’s injury, the QB competition and a young defense. Bowles said that Enunwa, “He has a bulging disk in his neck. Barring a second opinion, he’s probably going to have to get surgery. He’ll be out about six to nine months.”  He added that he doesn’t believe the injury is career threatening.

You can watch the full video below.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
d17zQnpSiMU

Click here to read the full story...

58 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Someone please transcribe.

This is his press conference with the media today at the Jets facility, not the video above.

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 8.7

On Quincy Enunwa’s injury…

He has a bulging disk in his neck. Barring a second opinion, he’s probably going to have to get surgery. He’ll be out about six to nine months.

On if the injury is career threatening…

They said it wasn’t. Going forward we’ll see. They said he should come out okay.

On how significant Enunwa’s injury is for the offense…

He was a big part of it so our young guys are just going to have to grow up fast.

On if they’ll look to add another body…

We’ll look into it. We’ll see how our young guys develop. But, we’ll have our eyes open and see what’s out there.

On how much they knew about the injury in the spring…

He underwent tests. He had treatment. He was doing better, he was doing fine. When he fell the other night it flared up again.

On how he initially suffered the injury in the spring…

I do not. It’s something that comes and goes. It was just a tingling feeling and he didn’t feel well. So we rested him in the spring and he came back. (He) fell down and I guess it reoccurred.

On how soon he’ll have the surgery…

Not sure yet.

On if he had the bulging disk in the spring…

I don’t think he had one in the spring. It was treatable in the spring. What he got Saturday resulted from falling the wrong way.

On if he was still undergoing rehab…

He was healthy.

On his confidence level in the current wide receiver group…

It hasn’t changed. Obviously, they have to get some experience and some reps, but they’re talented. They just have to learn and get caught up to speed.

On why Bilal Powell did not practice…

He had a sore neck so we held him out.

On Lorenzo Mauldin’s injury…

Sore back.

On if they would look to add a veteran receiver to this group…

We don’t know yet. We have a lot of young guys that we’re trying to develop. So, if there’s something out there that catches our eye, we’ll sign him. If not, we’ll stick with the guys we have. All options are open.

On what receiver has stood out to him the most this camp…

I’m not going to say anybody yet, we’ve only been practicing for a week. Again, we have four preseason games coming and that will take care of itself. We’ll see who comes out when the lights come on. They’ve all been working hard and they’re getting better every day. They just have to get smarter.

On if the inexperience in the receiver room makes it harder to evaluate the quarterback position…

No, not at all. The quarterback position is the quarterback position. We’re still evaluating them the same way, they still get judged the same way. It has nothing to do with the receivers.

On if Christian Hackenberg will get more reps with the first team this week…

It’s possible. It’s the second week of camp. Like I said, we’ll rotate them and evaluate them as we see fit. Going forward, we may or may not. We’ll switch guys around here and there at every position. It’s still an evaluation period. We’ll see probably everybody with every group.

On what Hackenberg has to do to impress him…

We’ll, he has to play. He’s no different than Josh (McCown), no different than Bryce (Petty). They have to play. After a week of training camp, I’m not going to be too impressed. If you get smart and do the right things and you take the right reads. But until we play preseason games and the process goes on, we’re going to be in evaluation mode.

On what the quarterback rotation will be for the first preseason game…

We haven’t discussed that yet.

On if McCown will be the starter…

We haven’t discussed that yet.

On if the defense flying around during practice is unfair to the young players on offense…

No, I mean the defense is further along in their installation. They have more things in than the offense right now. So, as they pick it up the offense will catch up to them. They’ve been having a good couple days as well. I thought the offense ran the ball pretty good today. But, they’ll catch up on the blitz stuff, that doesn’t bother me.

On if the tight end position now will take a bigger role in the offense…

Our offense is going to be our offense. We want to throw to the tight end anyway. But the receivers have to step up and make plays.

On how deflating Enunwa’s injury is to the team…

It’s not deflating, injuries are a part of the (game). You take body blows in this league. Whether he broke a leg or sprained an ankle, if you lose a player like that, guys still have to step up. There’s going to be body blows and injuries throughout this league when the season starts. Guys have to step up and we have to coach them.

So now they will rotate them as they see fit.  They 'may or may not' rotate them at all.  The party line is starting to shift more towards the obvious reality.  He was probably honest when he said they haven't discussed who will start next weekend because why discuss a settled issue. 

Truth is, it really doesn't matter because anyway because we don't even have a first unit for WRs anymore.  They're all 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Ironic...

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

So now they will rotate them as they see fit.  They 'may or may not' rotate them at all.  The party line is starting to shift more towards the obvious reality.  He was probably honest when he said they haven't discussed who will start next weekend because why discuss a settled issue. 

Truth is, it really doesn't matter because anyway because we don't even have a first unit for WRs anymore.  They're all 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Ironic...

Hack did see more reps with the first team yesterday than any other practice according to a few reports, so while I was ready to get on the "he's full of crap" bandwagon, I'm willing to wait and see if/how things change over the next few weeks.

12 hours ago, nycdan said:

No, some days or weeks they'll shift, sometimes they wont.  

Its what hes said all along.

Archived