Draft Gurus....HELP!

CanadaSteve

Okay....I want to learn about QB's here.

All I see, week in and week out this whole season, is Mayfield lighting it up.  I was told to watch Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma St. tonight for the 'fireworks.'  Mayfield throws 5 TD's and runs in another (granted, he threw 2 INT's), but he has been doing this all season long.

Now, GURU'S, tell me....Why should I ignore what he has done all season because he is too small, comes from the wrong offense, doesn't face the right defenses, etc, etc,....and tell me why Sam Darnold is SOOOO much better, is ranked 30+ positions lower, is throwing a TD/INT ration of 2:1, and is overall just not looking that good.  BUT....Sam Darnold is going to go #1, and if he DOESN'T. the franchise NOT picking him is idiotic, yet, Baker Mayfield will be lucky to go high in the second round....,  Someone more educated than me PLEASE explain what is so great about this guy that I am NOT, repeat, NOT, seeing.

There is no disernible difference between the offense Mayfield runs and the one that Darnold runs, which has its abundance of bubble screens.

I don't see Mayfield's height and size as issue enough, not to draft him. There is one issue that isn't reserved solely for Mayfield, and thats his conference. 

He comes from a coference that historically doesn't play defense. WR's are wide open a lot, but to be fair same can be said about most college prospects. 

The other knock on Mayfield has been his NFL oline that he plays behind. Will he be able to make the same throws in the NFL with less time to diagnose defenses (something he'll have to learn).

Again I'm not knocking him because a lot of his concerns can be attributed to about 95% of college players. But, these are the things people will look at.

One thing in particular for me, is his lack of "stepping up in the pocket." Saw it again last night, even with a clean pocket, and a moment to step up and throw, he'll either stand still and throw or run sideline and throw (which is fine when the rush is flushing you out that way, but not when you have a clean pocket to step up in).

I think this is somewhat minor, and can be fixed by any decent NFL QB coach. But it is a bad habit, that will cause a lot of sack fumbles, ints, and off target intermediate throws in the NFL.

Baker Mayfield would be to our offense what Jamal Adams has been to our defense . The kid has this swagger about him that grows when you tell him he can't  . That being said, the jets need to continue building a team, so my Pick would be the LT from Notre dame  and hope Josh Allen falls to the 2nd round  .  

I don't think Mayfield will get out of the 1st round, but if he does, I would target him over Allen . 

17 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Okay....I want to learn about QB's here.

All I see, week in and week out this whole season, is Mayfield lighting it up.  I was told to watch Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma St. tonight for the 'fireworks.'  Mayfield throws 5 TD's and runs in another (granted, he threw 2 INT's), but he has been doing this all season long.

Now, GURU'S, tell me....Why should I ignore what he has done all season because he is too small, comes from the wrong offense, doesn't face the right defenses, etc, etc,....and tell me why Sam Darnold is SOOOO much better, is ranked 30+ positions lower, is throwing a TD/INT ration of 2:1, and is overall just not looking that good.  BUT....Sam Darnold is going to go #1, and if he DOESN'T. the franchise NOT picking him is idiotic, yet, Baker Mayfield will be lucky to go high in the second round....,  Someone more educated than me PLEASE explain what is so great about this guy that I am NOT, repeat, NOT, seeing.

Here's what I believe happened with all the "Darnold Love" that has been floating
around in the media and the board.  Everyone remembers the USC / Penn State
bowl game and the video game stats he put up.  They took his last game and
projected that he would do exactly the same thing for all of 2017.  But what
people forget is everyone on USC's schedule went to work on his tendencies and
was more prepared for him.  Therefore Darnold's weaknesses were exposed (turnover
prone) and he's not producing at the Penn State bowl game level.  He's a nice prospect
but he's not the next Luck / Manning can't miss franchise QB.  As far as Mayfield is
concerned if he was 1-2 inches taller there would be more "love" for him.  Don't
look at his stats the reason he's an intriguing prospect is:

- Strong frame even though he's short
- Excellent arm strength
- Accurate particularly on deep throws
- Mobility in and out of the pocket
- Even though he's in a gimmick offense he goes through progressions to find
receivers.  And in yesterday's OK State game he was also manipulating safeties
by looking one way and throwing the other
- He has an "it" factor that lifts his team because his defense is awful

People may say he's like Manziel but that's only because he's white.  Mayfield to me
is like Russell Wilson and a bold organization won't care about 1-2 inches

On 11/5/2017 at 4:52 PM, KRL said:

Here's what I believe happened with all the "Darnold Love" that has been floating
around in the media and the board.  Everyone remembers the USC / Penn State
bowl game and the video game stats he put up.  They took his last game and
projected that he would do exactly the same thing for all of 2017.  But what
people forget is everyone on USC's schedule went to work on his tendencies and
was more prepared for him.  Therefore Darnold's weaknesses were exposed (turnover
prone) and he's not producing at the Penn State bowl game level.  He's a nice prospect
but he's not the next Luck / Manning can't miss franchise QB.  As far as Mayfield is
concerned if he was 1-2 inches taller there would be more "love" for him.  Don't
look at his stats the reason he's an intriguing prospect is:

- Strong frame even though he's short
- Excellent arm strength
- Accurate particularly on deep throws
- Mobility in and out of the pocket
- Even though he's in a gimmick offense he goes through progressions to find
receivers.  And in yesterday's OK State game he was also manipulating safeties
by looking one way and throwing the other
- He has an "it" factor that lifts his team because his defense is awful

People may say he's like Manziel but that's only because he's white.  Mayfield to me
is like Russell Wilson and a bold organization won't care about 1-2 inches

Sam Darnold is slowly solidifying his status as the #1 pick, he has gotten better every week, and will probably finish very strong again with a PAC 12 championship, and another Rose Bowl appearance.  Sam Darnold compares more to Russell Wilson then any other QB in college including Mayfield IMO.

Archived