ESPN 30 For 30 - The Two Bills

TuscanyTile2

It's the offseason for us (plus both these guys have passed through this organization) so I figured it would be of interest to people on here

57:18:

Bill Belichick: Essentially the problem I had with the whole arrangement eventually was that, when all of this transpired, there was no owner.  Mr. Hess passed away before the '99 season.  There were 2 potential owners - and that was Johnson and Dolan.  I hadn't spoken with either one but I had issues with both.  And it wasn't Mr. Hess anymore, which is the original agreement - or the original context that we talked about.  That whole ownership configuration at that point-in-time was a major factor in my decision, you know, much more than a personal relationship.  Bill said "look, you know, I think things are going to work out.  We'll be able to do this and do that and all".  And that might have been true.  I don't know.  I guess I had more of a sense of "well I'm not really sure about this" so I just walked away from it. 

59:12:

Charlie Weis: Leave it to the Jets to create a - you know - a little bit of a circus atmosphere both on the way in, and on the way out.

1:04:59:

Robert Kraft: We were playing with fire there cause (inaudible) was out getting ready to sign people and do things.  And I was impressed with Dom Capers and was going to hire him.  

TV Announcer: Dom Capers was supposed to be in this afternoon for an interview but a snowstorm has delayed that process.  

Robert Kraft: Sometimes you've just gotta cool it and keep your fingers crossed.  One night around 6PM my assistant comes to me and says there's someone on the phone saying they're Darth Vader calling you.  And I knew it was Bill Parcells.

1:06:02:

Robert Kraft:  I was relieved because I was within a day of finalizing another situation - with coach Capers.

32 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

What were his issues with Johnson at the time considering he hadn't spoken with him? Dolan you can understand. 

I don't think it was covered in the documentary.  I haven't heard anything about it outside the documentary either, actually.

1 hour ago, MTJ06 said:

What were his issues with Johnson at the time considering he hadn't spoken with him? Dolan you can understand. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think it was covered in the documentary.  I haven't heard anything about it outside the documentary either, actually.

I’m quite certain that word got around that Johnson was a non business man trust fund baby and a total crap shoot of unknowns.  Kraft is a businessman and a known entity.  BB was spot on to walk away from Woody.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m quite certain that word got around that Johnson was a non business man trust fund baby and a total crap shoot of unknowns.  Kraft is a businessman and a known entity.  BB was spot on to walk away from Woody.  

So Leon Hess ( a business giant and WWII hero, the guy behind Patton with the gasoline trucks to keep him going) dies 5 years too soon and a snowstorm that keeps Dom Capers out of Boston for a day conspire to eff this franchise. 

32 minutes ago, Bugg said:

So Leon Hess ( a business giant and WWII hero, the guy behind Patton with the gasoline trucks to keep him going) dies 5 years too soon and a snowstorm that keeps Dom Capers out of Boston for a day conspire to eff this franchise. 

Yep that's basically what they said.  Only the Jets.

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've been thinking about this a lot myself. My suspicion is that Belichick wasn't interested in working for guys who inherited their way into owning a franchise, because people like that are the least-equipped to do it well. Plenty of self-made men aren't great owners, but few are as terrible as the people who fell into their money (Jim Irsay, Woody Johnson, Jed York).

That's the only thing Jimmy Dolan and Woody really have in common. I'm guessing Belichick didn't want to answer to silver-spooned morons who know nothing about business or football.

But that's just a guess.

Archived