After QB, Jets Have to Give Defense an Edge

JetNation

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure it is.  All that matters is having a QB.

No, you dont.  And you shouldnt.  

If the DT prospect is 10x better than the OL prospect, you take him the DT.  You dont pick a sh*tty OL prospect just because he plays OL and you need OL. 

Yes.  You do.  100% you do and here is a real life, completely ridiculous scenario you've just presented; you would have passed on Yannick Nagkoue for Kenyan Drake because he plays offense and that would be the dumbest sh*t ever, no offense.

This is just ridiculous babble.   Pass rushers arent important?  

dude...

Haha the Jets passed on both soooooo EAD.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Haha the Jets passed on both soooooo EAD.

Why would I EAD because the Jets passed on certain players?  That seems like an unreasonable thing for me to do because the Jets are stupid.  Are you a Jets fan?  Should you EAD too?  Just a weird suggestion to make when I'm not even hungry.

And, we're talking specifically about the 3rd round.  Both players were gone before the Jets picked Jenkins. Thank you for this incredibly well thoughtout post though. 

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Giants won their last two Super Bowls for one reason...the pass rush. 

This last Super Bowl, was won a strip sack.  Denver, won the SB on D.  The Jags are now Super Bowl contenders because of their D which includes the best pass rush in the league. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why would I EAD because the Jets passed on certain players?  That seems like an unreasonable thing for me to do because the Jets are stupid.  Are you a Jets fan?  Should you EAD too?  Just a weird suggestion to make when I'm not even hungry.

And, we're talking specifically about the 3rd round.  Both players were gone before the Jets picked Jenkins. Thank you for this incredibly well thoughtout post though. 

It wasn’t well thought out. But I wasn’t pretending it was.  I accept that we’re all buffoons getting a bit stir crazy from all of this hoopla. I also very much respect your opinions.

EAD

Just now, JiF said:

This last Super Bowl, was won a strip sack.  Denver, won the SB on D.  The Jags are now Super Bowl contenders because of their D which includes the best pass rush in the league. 

and this is why the giants are taking chubb, all the while talking up barkley hoping darnold falls to them.  

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure it is.  All that matters is having a QB.

A QB is vital.  Alone even a great QB will fail horribly.

No, you dont.  And you shouldnt.  

If the DT prospect is 10x better than the OL prospect, you take him the DT.  You dont pick a sh*tty OL prospect just because he plays OL and you need OL. 

Except there is no "10x better DL prospect than OL prospect" in the third round.  This "10x better" BS is only an issue, maybe, at the top of the first round or in exceedingly weak drafts for a specific position.

There will never be NO Offensive player worth that draft spot.

Yes.  You do.  100% you do and here is a real life, completely ridiculous scenario you've just presented; you would have passed on Yannick Nagkoue for Kenyan Drake because he plays offense and that would be the dumbest sh*t ever, no offense.

And you (and Bowles) would have passed on Dan Marino to draft Gill Byrd.  Or say Adams over Watson...

Or you've have gone along with traditional Jets management to draft all of those DT's that did us piss all worth of good the past 20 years in your endless quest for "Pash rush".

Sorry, this is an Offense-driven league.  If a weapon on O is sitting there, you pick the weapon, not a fourth string one-role Safety because he might be a fraction "better" a prospect.

This is just ridiculous babble.   Pass rushers arent important?  

dude...

Guess you've not been paying much attention these past 20 years.

We've spent boatloads of draft capital on "Pass Rush".  Where are they all now?  Gone is where, with disappointing under-performing Williams soon to join them if I had to bet.  We skipping on materially better players on Offense time and time and time again to draft......D tackles.

Hows that working out?  Doesn't look so good to me.

You can draft a hundred more Gholstons and Drobs if you like.  Best of luck.  Me, I'm skipping this "BAP" bullsh*t, and drafting players I need, and favoring the offense when I do so.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A QB is vital.  Alone even a great QB will fail horribly.

He's obviously not alone, Fish.  And the cool thing about the league, is there are more offseasons too.  Next year, you could spend a 1st rounder on the best WR or RB.  

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Except there is no "10x better DL prospect than OL prospect" in the third round.  This "10x better" BS is only an issue, maybe, at the top of the first round or in exceedingly weak drafts for a specific position.

There will never be NO Offensive player worth that draft spot

The 10x better was exaggeration to prove a point, that I clearly didnt prove. lol.  However, I just provided an example where very good talent falls to the 3rd round.  In your case, you would have taken Kenyan Drake, who sucks because he plays offense and I'd have one of the best young pass rushers in the league on a rookie contract. 

I dont know what your last comment means.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And you (and Bowles) would have passed on Dan Marino to draft Gill Byrd.  Or say Adams over Watson...

Or you've have gone along with traditional Jets management to draft all of those DT's that did us piss all worth of good the past 20 years in your endless quest for "Pash rush".

Sorry, this is an Offense-driven league.  If a weapon on O is sitting there, you pick the weapon, not a fourth string one-role Safety because he might be a fraction "better" a prospect.

Whoa - do you not know that I love Deshaun Watson like he's the child I've never had?

Nobody is arguing the need for offense.  What we're discussing is taking offense just because when they're is a better prospect on the board who plays D.  And what you're pushing, is ridiculous.  You dont take a lesser prospect just because he plays on one side of the ball.  That's ridiculous.  Seriously.  Again, I gave you an example of how ridiculous it is. 

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Guess you've not been paying much attention these past 20 years.

We've spent boatloads of draft capital on "Pass Rush".  Where are they all now?  Gone is where, with disappointing under-performing Williams soon to join them if I had to bet.  We skipping on materially better players on Offense time and time and time again to draft......D tackles.

Hows that working out?  Doesn't look so good to me.

You can draft a hundred more Gholstons and Drobs if you like.  Best of luck.  Me, I'm skipping this "BAP" bullsh*t, and drafting players I need, and favoring the offense when I do so.

I have been paying very close attention and the pass rusher is right up there with a QB.

Should we not draft a QB because we havent been successful drafting QB's? 

Fish - this is ridiculous take my man. I love you but this is crazy talk. 

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's obviously not alone, Fish.  And the cool thing about the league, is there are more offseasons too.  Next year, you could spend a 1st rounder on the best WR or RB.  

Remind me, when was the last time we did that?

The 10x better was exaggeration to prove a point, that I clearly didnt prove. lol.  However, I just provided an example where very good talent falls to the 3rd round.  In your case, you would have taken Kenyan Drake, who sucks because he plays offense and I'd have one of the best young pass rushers in the league on a rookie contract. 

I'll say it again, there will NEVER not be an Offensive Player in the third round equally good or better than a Defensive Player available int he third round.  By that point in the draft, it's all about positional priorities, not potential/talent.

Whoa - do you not know that I love Deshaun Watson like he's the child I've never had?

Then why keep defending the status quo of "Draft Defense early and often"?

Nobody is arguing the need for offense.  What we're discussing is taking offense just because when they're is a better prospect on the board who plays D.  And what you're pushing, is ridiculous.  You dont take a lesser prospect just because he plays on one side of the ball.  That's ridiculous.  Seriously.  Again, I gave you an example of how ridiculous it is. 

And I'm telling your your premise is a fantasy.  Sure thing top-10 rated future HOF Defenders do not "fall" into your lap in the third round.  

At best, by that point, you're looking at tiny incremental "better" between any possible BAP Offensive vs. BAP Defensive players.  

As I said, it's all about priorities at that point.

I have been paying very close attention and the pass rusher is right up there with a QB.

Should we not draft a QB because we havent been successful drafting QB's? 

Conversely, maybe we should draft QB as often as we draft Pass Rush, since as you said, it's all about the QB right?

In the past 20 years, how many first round QB's have we picked?

How many "Pass Rushers" have we picked.

Exactly.  This franchise simply does not prioritize having a top 10 Offense.  It's all about the D, always has been, seemingly always will be.

There are reasons some have been making jokes about us picking Chubb or Fitzpatrick at 3 ffs.  If anyone would, it'd be us.

Fish - this is ridiculous take my man. I love you but this is crazy talk. 

Want crazy?  Lok at our Offensive rank the past 20 years, and let me know how sane YOU feel!

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Remind me, when was the last time we did that?

I wish I could but we havent taken a QB high in a minute and we're about to so who knows. The point is, it's possible. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'll say it again, there will NEVER not be an Offensive Player in the third round equally good or better than a Defensive Player available int he third round.  By that point in the draft, it's all about positional priorities, not potential/talent.

This is 100% false.  Like legit, completely wrong.  Change offense and defense and it's still incorrect.  It happens, every single year and it will happen again this year. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Then why keep defending the status quo of "Draft Defense early and often"?

We're talking about the 3rd round, so I wouldnt call that early and often.  Again, last year they did what you're screaming for now.  And this isnt really apples to apples considering they've already given up 3 2nd round picks to take the most important position in all of sports who happens to play offense. 

And I'm telling your your premise is a fantasy.  Sure thing top-10 rated future HOF Defenders do not "fall" into your lap in the third round.  

At best, by that point, you're looking at tiny incremental "better" between any possible BAP Offensive vs. BAP Defensive players.  

As I said, it's all about priorities at that point.

Who said anything about sure thing top-10 rated future HOF Defenders?  We're talking about reaching/BAP, whatever you want to call it.

I disagree that in the 3rd round you start reaching for priorities, especially with limited picks on a talent deprived team.  Your odds decrease the further down you go and you can still get talent in the 3rd as some of the 2nd round fringe talent players fall.

Conversely, maybe we should draft QB as often as we draft Pass Rush, since as you said, it's all about the QB right?

In the past 20 years, how many first round QB's have we picked?

How many "Pass Rushers" have we picked.

Exactly.  This franchise simply does not prioritize having a top 10 Offense.  It's all about the D, always has been, seemingly always will be.

There are reasons some have been making jokes about us picking Chubb or Fitzpatrick at 3 ffs.  If anyone would, it'd be us

I'd say if you dont have a QB or a pass rusher, taking a swing in the draft every year till you find one is a pretty good idea.

I dont know what the past 20 years or 1st round picks have to do with taking a pass rusher in the 3rd round.  And I dont see how taking a skills position in the 3rd round is prioritizing offense.  And if that is prioritizing offense in your eyes, than they did that last year, and the year before (Hack) and the year before (Smith) who were actually 2nd round picks. 

At this point, I dont think you're making any sense.  All I was simply saying is; if you have a pass rusher on your board ranked higher than any offensive position other than QB, you take the pass rusher.  Especially in the Jets situation.  They're harder to find than RB/WR/OL.  And in general, I think a talent deprived team should target BAP in the 3rd round rather than reach for need.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

At this point, I dont think you're making any sense.

At least we agree, cause I have no idea how one can be as wrong as I think you are on this topic. 

Of course, I also think I'm being trolled (again), the deja vu here with you is rather hardcore.

End of the day, I'm comfortable with wanting more offense drafted, given we're among the worst offenses for going on 20 years, iduring the most prolific offensive explosion in NFL history.

End of the day, I'm comfortable being critical of drafting yet another DT or safety given how many we've drafted and how many have failed over this same period.

The Status Quo of how this franchise is built simply isn't good enough.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

At least we agree, cause I have no idea how one can be as wrong as I think you are on this topic. 

Of course, I also think I'm being trolled (again), the deja vu here with you is rather hardcore.

End of the day, I'm comfortable with wanting more offense drafted, given we're among the worst offenses for going on 20 years, iduring the most prolific offensive explosion in NFL history.

End of the day, I'm comfortable being critical of drafting yet another DT or safety given how many we've drafted and how many have failed over this same period.

The Status Quo of how this franchise is built simply isn't good enough.

No trolling my man! Just shooting the breeze with my brother who disagrees.  

Archived