For those who want a RB with #1 pick

LionelRichie

League MVP Shaun Alexander: 6 carries 9 yards.

Final Score: Sea 20 Was 10.

you need a team to win in the nfl, not just a 'stud' RB. whoever the jets drafted @ 4 - bush, maroney, williams, etc... will not equal the impact of using the $20M worth of signing bonus to build the OL and get a real NFL QB.

Not to mention there are quality RB's that can be had for a whole lot less money. We may even have 1 or 2 of them. Nobody's running for squat on this team without a line or a QB that isn't snickered at in the opposing D's huddle.

you need a team to win in the nfl, not just a 'stud' RB. whoever the jets drafted @ 4 - bush, maroney, williams, etc... will not equal the impact of using the $20M worth of signing bonus to build the OL and get a real NFL QB.

On the flip side, it can be said that Clinton Portis' 41 yards were a major reason the Redskins lost.

I'm not in favor of drafting a running back with a top five pick because it's a dime a dozen position, but I don't think this is the best example.

I'm with you Block. Alexander's great & had a great season, but he's been great with no ring (and couple of one-and-done seasons) for his whole career. I don't think it sheds a negative light on him, but clearly one RB cannot carry our team by himself. Not when our team needs more than one OLman, a QB, and a NT, and could probably use upgrades at CB, SOLB, and S.

How can a team be built with so much cap $ tied up in bonuses being paid to so few playmakers over the past couple of years?

Chad $18M ($21M if he's not cut)

Ellis $15M

Martin $14M

D-Rob $10M+

McCariens $7M

Chrebet $6M

Barrett $4.5M

Cowart $6M

Now if we keep that #4 pick we'll have yet another player with $20M in bonuses. This isn't baseball. Jesus - we just NOW are getting Vinny off the books.

I'd much rather have a lower first round OT with a ~$4M SB and pick up a 2nd-rounder that comes with a $1-1.5M SB.

Take our medicine now & cut Chad (won't happen, I know), Martin, Fabini, Law, & Kendall. All before June 1st (Chad/Law before March 1st). Then they're off the books forever with no dead cap space.

I'd leave Mawae alone. Do NOT restructure him (& give him even more bonus money) & mortgage more of our future. He'll be cuttable next year if we draft a 2nd-3rd round center & let him learn from the master his rookie year. If he's still productive, keep him one more year.

Abe...this one's more difficult. One does not simply let a talent like this walk into free-agency without compensation. I think I'm actually in agreement with Bit on this one. Franchise him again & if the right deal comes along (first or a 2nd), take it. He's too 1-dimensional & injury-prone to give a $20M bonus to.

Barrett I'd even hold off on. With the above cuts he's too much to cut as well (particularly with no replacment). He's not totally untalented & I'd venture to say he's more talented than Ben Gay & Troy Brown, who Mangini coached to competent levels in a superbowl year. If he can coach them to non-liability levels, then he should do fine with Barrett.

2007 will likely be a cap year & we'd have a sh*tLOAD of money on the cap. Only players left with who count a significant % of the cap would be DRob, Ellis, and Mawae (who is cuttable if we deem it prudent then). Our line would be shored up for the most part with Jones, Moore, Mawae (maybe), Morley (maybe) and at least 2 picks from the '06 draft.

Enough of the half-measures. Decide in the offseason if you're a superbowl contender THIS YEAR or if you're rebuilding. Pick one & go with it. If you're not a SB contender this year, then you're rebuilding. Period. If we're rebuilding, then actually rebuild for the future. Don't d*ck around trying to make a 4-6-win team into a 7-9-win team & sentence us to the same in '07.

Enough of the half-measures. Decide in the offseason if you're a Super Bowl contender THIS YEAR or if you're rebuilding. Pick one & go with it. If you're not a SB contender this year, then you're rebuilding. Period. If we're rebuilding, then actually rebuild for the future. Don't d*ck around trying to make a 4-6-win team into a 7-9-win team & sentence us to the same in '07.

i couldn't agree more with this, unfortunately it will never happen. TB is trying to save his job, and any coach not named parcells or bellichik wouldn't have the luxury of 2-14 w/a total rebuilding effort.

as far as the draft, i totally agree. trade down, get an extra pick and start plugging holes with reasonably priced players. how can you sign a college palyer to a bigger contract than TBrady has? that is just bad business and function of the the way the nfl handles the draft.

i would love to see the jets trade abe for Schaub, if they can't do that then maybe abe for a #2 and trade a #2 for Schaub. they still need a QB of the future and abe is not worth the $$$.

WRONG!!!

Without Alexander Seattle loses the Wildcard game and only gets in because their division is weak.

A great back can make a good team great and great team can make a good back look great. You have to run the ball. If you can't run the ball consistently then you better have a really good passing game and top notch defense.

If Houston goes Bush then I make a deal for Domenick Davis(any team that needs a RB for that matter). He's good and not the reason Houston stinks!

WRONG!!!

Without Alexander Seattle loses the Wildcard game and only gets in because their division is weak.

A great back can make a good team great and great team can make a good back look great. You have to run the ball. If you can't run the ball consistently then you better have a really good passing game and top notch defense.

you mean like denver and pittsburgh, who have all of their $$$ tied up in big name RB's? how about NE, Car, or Chi? Chi actually does have a huge $$ investment in RB and Benson doesn't sniff the field. you don't need to draft a RB in the top 10 to be effective.

That makes no sense?

All the team you just mentioned are tops in the league and better than the Jets.

You need to run the ball consistently whether your RB is drafted in the first round 3rd round or undrafted. It doesn't matter where you draft him as long as he's good and and you can control the game with his running.

All the team you just mentioned are tops in the league and better than the Jets.

Ah, but your suggestion is that a lot of the reason they're better is b/c they have an elite RB they acquired in FA or drafted.

-Dillon is not an elite RB anymore. They won with Antowain Smith & Kevin Faulk as well.

-Bettis is not an elite RB anymore.

-Willie Parker, even if your opinion is that he's elite, was undrafted.

-Who was the elite RB for Tampa when they won the SB?

-All those great Denver RB's. Isn't Tatum Bell the first one they drafted in the first round like ever? Even Portis was drafted in late round 2 (same as Jordan).

Look - all other things being equal, getting a guy like that sure won't hurt your team. But all other things are not equal. The NFL isn't going to award us with any extra first-round draft picks b/c we felt we had to burn one on a RB but still want to get an elite OT/OG as well.

What good was Corey Dillon during his first 5 years with the Bengals with no QB & WR's & no OL & couldn't stop the run? It was worthless except for SportsCenter highlights a few times every season.

That makes no sense?

You need to run the ball consistently whether your RB is drafted in the first round 3rd round or undrafted. It doesn't matter where you draft him as long as he's good and and you can control the game with his running.

that was sarcasm, the teams i listed do not spend big $$ on RB's yet they are in the playoffs and most have strong running games.

It's unlikely, even if we trade down, that we'll trade all the way out of the top-15. The compensation from one team would be too great (the #15 team, for example, would have to surrender almost all of their other picks).

Here's a list of all 16 of the 1000-yard (or just about 1000 yds) RB's this season:

1 - Shaun Alexander - SEA - 1880

2 - Tiki Barber - NYG - 1860

3 - Larry Johnson - KC - 1750

4 - Clinton Portis - WAS - 1516

5 - Edgerrin James - IND - 1506

6 - LaDainian Tomlinson - SD - 1462

7 - Rudi Johnson - CIN - 1458

8 - Warrick Dunn - ATL - 1416

9 - Thomas Jones - CHI - 1335

10 - Willis McGahee - BUF - 1247

11 - Reuben Droughns - CLE - 1232

12 - Willie Parker - PIT - 1202

13 - Cadillac Williams - TB - 1178

14 - Steven Jackson - STL - 1046

15 - LaMont Jordan - OAK - 1025

16 - Mike Anderson - DEN - 1014

17 - Julius Jones - DAL - 993

18 - Domanick Davis - HOU - 976

None were drafted #1 overall.

Three were drafted in the top-5 (#5,6,13 above)

Four were drafted in the top-10 (5,6,9,13)

Five were drafted in the top-15

13 of the top 18 rushers were not taken with top-15 picks. One of those top-10 picks (Jones) was actually cut from the team that drafted him & didn't really blossom until his third team.

But the most telling is that only three RB's drafted in the top-15 are in the playoffs. And one of them was acquired as a mid-priced FA (not even drafted by his current team).

We have so many holes to fill on the lines (particularly since Abe is 50/50 to return), that burning a top-15 pick on a RB is a luxury we don't have.

Archived