Offensive Line, Gase

Offensive line: pardon if already covered - but it seems clear Maccagnan & Co. believe the Jets are set at offensive line. Because as much 'post June 1/late August cuts' chatter we annually hear about upgrading the roster - that rarely happens. A trade on the other hand, that can happen any time but still relatively rare.

So this be the Jets o-line and apparently they feel good about it. I sure as sh-t don't. But keeping fingers crossed.

Gase: we'll know if he's for real pretty fast IMO. When you have a legit HC the team performs in a certain way - smart, disciplined, inventive, in short competently - from the first whistle of the regular season. Jets go 1-15 in 1996 under Kotite, first game in '97 at Seattle they wax the Seahawks 41-3 (which I attended in a vociferous manner, annoying a few Seattle fans once or twice, only to find out after the game my tix connection scored the tix from the Seattle owner at the time. Lol classic!). So we'll know within the first game or two if Gase learned from his Miami experience and is proficient. If not, expect overly patient Christopher Johnson to allow Gase to flounder for a few years while hopefully firing Maccagnan. But if Gase is competent, then the Jets will be in a good place with two critical building blocks: legit HC and young franchise QB.

LT Kelvin Beachum (30 in June):  # 48 OT per PFF last year, contract expires after 2019

LG Kelechi Osemele (30 in June):  # 61 G per PFF last year (though he'll be far better this year), contract expires after 2020

C Jonatthan Harrison (28 in August) / Jon Toth (25):  28 combined career starts at C

RG Brian Winters (28 in July):  # 34 G in NFL per PFF last year, contract expires after 2020

RT Chuma Edoga:  Only OL under contract in 2021

Backups/Pipeline:  G Tom Compton (# 44 G per PFF), G Jordan Morgan (Titans PS last season), RT Brent Qvale (blah), OT Tyler Jones (UDFA), G Toa Lobendahn (UDFA), OT Eric Smith (Patriots PS)

05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The short version of what sold me on Gase early in the coaching search is this;

Looking at what he did with elite QB play; setting records with Peyton Manning.

Seeing what he did with mediocre QB play, Tannehill and Cutler.

Seeing what he did with below average; Matt Moore.

Seeing what he did with crap; Osweiler and Tebow.

He got the best possible out of mediocre to pure crap at QB... not an easy task.

Recalling how he manufactured wins with Miami by creating big plays in the passing game, trick plays, special teams gimmicks, extra first downs through clever formations, etc.

Adam Gase is the smartest coach the Jets have had since at least Mangini, for sure  since Parcells.  He might be smarter than all of them.   Whether or not he learned from his mistakes in Miami remains to be seen, but at least they took a chance on a coach with enormous potential.   I, for one, am very encouraged.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

He kept his teams competitive with mediocre to pure crap at QB... not an easy task.

Recalling how he manufactured wins with Miami by creating big plays in the passing game, trick plays, special teams gimmicks, extra first downs through clever formations, etc.

Adam Gase is the smartest coach the Jets have had since at least Mangini, for sure  since Parcells.  He might be smarter than all of them.   Whether or not he learned from his mistakes in Miami remains to be seen, but at least they took a chance on a coach with enormous potential.   I, for one, am very encouraged.

In his three years as HC his teams performed about as bad offensively as any team in the league. 

I honestly have no idea why or how he got this job and how any Jet fan is happy about him.

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The only success stories for Gase were the Peyton Manning record-setting year and his 1 year with Cutler in Chicago.

The rest of his resume is mixed results at best.  Not sure where you're getting good vibes about how he did with Tannehill.  Tannehill's best year was 2014 with Phibin/Bill Lazor.   

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In his three years as HC his teams performed about as bad offensively as any team in the league. 

I honestly have no idea why or how he got this job and how any Jet fan is happy about him.

Your objection is duly noted.

Although I dont recall who you supported. Who would you rather have had? 

McCarthy?  Rhule?  Kingsbury?  Other? 

The Harbaugh bros were never in play...

Just now, RoadFan said:

Your objection is duly noted.

Although I dont recall who you supported. Who would you rather have had? 

McCarthy?  Rhule?  Kingsbury?  Other? 

The Harbaugh bros were never in play...

Anyone of those listed over Gase - but I was a McCarthy guy.  

I wanted stability for Darnold.  Someone that has raised a franchise QB.  My view is everything this team does should start with - "Is this best for Sam"

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only success stories for Gase were the Peyton Manning record-setting year and his 1 year with Cutler in Chicago.

The rest of his resume is mixed results at best.  Not sure where you're getting good vibes about how he did with Tannehill.  Tannehill's best year was 2014 with Phibin/Bill Lazor.   

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article222632535.html

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Anyone of those listed over Gase - but I was a McCarthy guy.  

I wanted stability for Darnold.  Someone that has raised a franchise QB.  My view is everything this team does should start with - "Is this best for Sam"

How it ended in Green Bay probably steered the Jets away from this hire. I wouldn't have minded McCarthy, I just think for play calling purposes, Gase maybe a better option. 

Not sure if Greg Williams is on board if we go the McCarthy route either. I think that is why I am on board with Gase/Williams, both will act head coach like on opposite sides of the ball. 

Poor offensive line play / QB killed Gase's offense in Miami. Which is almost laughable with the lack of improvement on the line this offseason. However, Darnold is a huge jump over Tannehill and his back ups. 

But if you look back at his time in Denver and even with Chicago (16th ranked line, 5th in run blocking), with a good offensive line and strong QB, most of Gase's play calling is very smart.

Herndon should benefit maybe the most from the scheme change. Gase ran a ton of double TE sets to get Julius Thomas open, 3 wide outs on one side of the field and one TE on the opposite side to find man coverage. Thomas had back to back 12 touch down campaigns with over 75 catches in each year. Bennett/Miller campaign was lethal with the Bears as well in 2015.