Glen Foley

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Foley was a capable qb.  Basically a more mobile Neil O’Donnel

The 1999 season was a very dark time for jets fans.  If Parcells had kept Foley we at least make the playoffs 

Glenn Foley sucked.  He couldn't carry Neil O'Donnell's jock.  Parcells had a "personality conflict" with O'Donnell, but O'Donnell was the perfect QB for a good team. 

Glenn Foley's career record was 2-7  54% 12:16 TD:INT 

Neil O'Donnell 55-45 (including the 0-6 under Kotite) 58% 120:68.  

Foley has way the **** more in common with Rick Mirer than Neil O'Donnell who was a quality NFL QB. 

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

True.  We used young essentially as trade bait to get cap room but then we signed Sam Garnes with said cap room who was brutal

Close.  Garnes cost peanuts.  I think he got the vet min and was a Jets fan growing up. He took Victor Green's place at a discount.  The safety you are thinking of was more brutal.  Damien Robinson.  The guy that brought a machine gun to games and had his helmet tossed by Kyle Turley.  They signed Robinson the year before, but his deal was close to the vet min for his first year, but he had a $7M bonus due.  For that the Jets dangled Ryan Young for the Texans provided they took our two excellent cover corners to save money.  Herm didn't need that.  Plenty of older dudes (Donnie Abraham, Aaron Beasley) can play reliable CB in the cover who.

• Upvote 2

Parcells is a genius, but genius’s usually don’t go into opening weekend with a punter as your backup QB.
Also the Genius hated O’Donnell
so much he trusted a rookie QB who never threw a pass in the NFL to throw the ball into the end zone with a playoff spot on the line.
Hey he is a HOF coach who put his dislike of his QB ahead of his team. Big Bad Billy couldn’t stand to have O’Donnell throw the game winning TD.
And this was s man that liked saying “you gotta dance with the girl who bring you”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Glenn Foley sucked.  He couldn't carry Neil O'Donnell's jock.  Parcells had a "personality conflict" with O'Donnell, but O'Donnell was the perfect QB for a good team. 

Glenn Foley's career record was 2-7  54% 12:16 TD:INT 

Neil O'Donnell 55-45 (including the 0-6 under Kotite) 58% 120:68.  

Foley has way the **** more in common with Rick Mirer than Neil O'Donnell who was a quality NFL QB. 

O’Donnel was a statue that’s why Parcells hated him.  Wow, O’Donnel completed 4% more passes playing in the Steelers system in which he threw to the RB or TE two yards away congratulations 

2 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Parcells is a genius, but genius’s usually don’t go into opening weekend with a punter as your backup QB.
Also the Genius hated O’Donnell
so much he trusted a rookie QB who never threw a pass in the NFL to throw the ball into the end zone with a playoff spot on the line.
Hey he is a HOF coach who put his dislike of his QB ahead of his team. Big Bad Billy couldn’t stand to have O’Donnell throw the game winning TD.
And this was s man that liked saying “you gotta dance with the girl who bring you”

Amazing how people are still defending Parcells having Tom freakin Tupa and legendary bust Rick Mirer as his contingency plan in case Vinny went down when he already had a backup capable qb 

Yeah I’m still pissed about it that was as depressing a year as a jets fan as ever

Just now, Philc1 said:

O’Donnel was a statue that’s why Parcells hated him.  Wow, O’Donnel completed 4% more passes playing in the Steelers system in which he threw to the RB or TE two yards away congratulations 

Yes, I am sure that mobility is what drew him to Vinny Testaverde.  It was all a contract deal. That fat **** didn't like anybody that was overpaid, unless it was him doing the overpaying.  It is more likely that fat **** didn't like the lack of an upper lip.  You'd think he'd have learned how overrated mobility was after ******* us out of the playoffs calling for INTs by Lucas and Leon Johnson in the last game of 1997.

I repeat.  Glenn Foley was a sh*tty QB.  Worse than Kellen Clemens.  He was never in the same stratosphere as O'Donnell.  Of those stats, you choose the completion percentage to harp on?  Strange, but okay.  O'Donnell was 57.1 with the Steelers, 56.9 with the Jets, 58.6 with the Titans and 61.2 with the Bengals.  He threw for more yards with each than Foley did in his career except for the Bengals- in his season there he fell 200 yards of Foley's career totals. Yep, it was all the system!  Foley never hit 54% in a year where he had 100 attempts.  Sure he went 57.7 in 1997 on 97 attempts. Whoop di damn doo. He never threw for 800 yards in a season despite being handed the job a couple of times.  Most guys do that in 3 good games. 

11 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Should have read rookie RB

You can just edit it.  The way I am going to edit the post below this one which was an accidental cut and paste of a motorcycle ad. 

FWIW, I'm not sure how much Parcells hated O'Donnell.  He was trying to save money.  He would have had O'Donnell back if he'd taken a pay cut.  Part of his dicking around with O'Donnell in '97 might have just been Parcells Pete Kendall'ing O'Donnell.