Glen Foley

I recently caught the jets/niners opening day 1998 on nfl network.  Foley threw for 500 yards and a few tds.  He looked legit.

I know he got hurt a week or 2 later andvinny came in and played so well it was his job moving foreard.

Why was foley not on this team as the backup qb in 1999?  Not having a legit backup ruined that whole season.  Maybe we coukd have still competed if foley replaces vinny.

Does anyone know y foley wasnt here in 99?

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I recently caught the jets/niners opening day 1998 on nfl network.  Foley threw for 500 yards and a few tds.  He looked legit.

I know he got hurt a week or 2 later andvinny came in and played so well it was his job moving foreard.

Why was foley not on this team as the backup qb in 1999?  Not having a legit backup ruined that whole season.  Maybe we coukd have still competed if foley replaces vinny.

This is me guessing from old memory, but I think Foley was Butt hurt about not getting the starting job back, or something when he was healthy, or simple as his contract ran out, and he wanted to get a chance to start and get some money?  Not sure if either is correct 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Foley pissed off Parcells in 1998 after he was benched for poor play against the Rams, he implied that non football considerations were involved in his benching. Testeverde relieved him and played great the rest of the season. Testeverde also was very durable and never missed a game do to injury, so Parcells shipped out Foley after the season.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Had Foley remained with the team after Testaverde got hurt, it wouldn't have mattered.

At one point it seemed like Foley could compete for the starting role, but over the course of time he proved (at least to me) that he was a quality back-up and not a legit starter.  As a backup, I don't believe he would have made a difference for the Jets to compete at the highest level.

I thought he was a steal coming out of BC with that late pick.  His game against #1 Notre Dame his senior year was special.  

Things may have been different if he didn't get hurt anytime someone breathed on him, but alas...

• Upvote 2

Hate Foley or love Foley but he said the ballsyiest thing ever in college. 

Before a game against Rutgers a reporter asked him about Rutgers bowl chances.

He said, and I quote , “The only bowl they're going to is the one I just got off of." 

So great. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Glenn played like a ******* champ that game against the 9ers in 98. The defense collapsed in Jetsian fashion to lose the game in OT. Pathetic. 

He was a 7th rounder who, on one day, outplayed a HOFer. 

He wasn't the answer or the future, but he got robbed of his moment.

Hope hes doing well. 

I was in a bar/restaurant, 2 young kids, family , Myrtle beach.  When we lost in OT, I SMH and said same ole Jets.  Who knew the magical season that was about to become 1998.  

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Hate Foley or love Foley but he said the ballsyiest thing ever in college. 

Before a game against Rutgers a reporter asked him about Rutgers bowl chances.

He said, and I quote , “The only bowl they're going to is the one I just got off of." 

So great. 

That WAS a good one PF. :rl:

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He had an arm.  He was slinging it all over the yard that day in SF.

His overall arm strength was weak and he turned out to be a one game wonder. I had the chance to speak with him after a practice one time and he was an extremely nice guy. He was also tiny compared to what he was listed at. 

I'm guessing about 6' and 200lbs.

12 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

This is me guessing from old memory, but I think Foley was Butt hurt about not getting the starting job back, or something when he was healthy, or simple as his contract ran out, and he wanted to get a chance to start and get some money?  Not sure if either is correct 

Thats what i remember as well. 

Foley sucked tho..... He had that one good game 

Still wear his jersey sometimes lol

Foley was a good backup just not a good starter.  I think Parcells just didn't like him and put that over the team which cost us in 1999.

In 1997 he came off the bench at least twice to lead us to wins but he never started and finished a win.

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Parcells gave away Foley due to dumb capology nonsense and signed Rick Mirer who was awful

Horrible move.  Jets at the very least make the playoffs that season with Foley after Vinny got hurt

28 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Parcels traded him to Seattle for a 7th round pick, which became Ryan Young. Young was probably Bill’s best draft pick, and became a pretty good tackle for us until we let Houston steal him in the expansion draft.

That 1999 roster would have made a run in the playoffs we just needed a semi competent qb which Foley was

Having Ryan Young for all of 3 seasons is not much of a consolation prize

The reason Foley never could keep the starting Job was he couldn't stay on the field. In 1997 Odonnell got bench Foley came in played great then during the Lions game got hurt the guy wasnt durable had Foley finished the season instead of Odonell the Jets might have made the playoffs. Same thing happen when went to Seattle got knocked out of the game. Do believe could have been a very good starting QB in the NFL even could have been the Jets answer at QB but his body couldn't handle getting hit in the NFL. Cant be a starting QB when you spend most the season on the DL.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

That 1999 roster would have made a run in the playoffs we just needed a semi competent qb which Foley was

Having Ryan Young for all of 3 seasons is not much of a consolation prize

But Ryan Young (along with Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman) allowed us to get out of have cap issues because of Parcells and that led to the 2002 division title.

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Parcels traded him to Seattle for a 7th round pick, which became Ryan Young. Young was probably Bill’s best draft pick, and became a pretty good tackle for us until we let Houston steal him in the expansion draft.

yep.  ryan young became a much better player at his position than foley did at qb.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:19 PM, y2k8 said:

I thought he was a steal coming out of BC with that late pick.  His game against #1 Notre Dame his senior year was special.  

Things may have been different if he didn't get hurt anytime someone breathed on him, but alas...

Pretty sure that was the week after ND had a big win (I forget against who) to get the #1 spot.  Then BC upset them the next week.  

On 6/24/2019 at 10:27 AM, Philc1 said:

Parcells gave away Foley due to dumb capology nonsense and signed Rick Mirer who was awful

Horrible move.  Jets at the very least make the playoffs that season with Foley after Vinny got hurt

The problem with Foley was he often was injured and played inconsistently. This thread is based on the best game of his career against the 49ers. There was more than one game when he was benched for playing poorly. Plus he had no right questioning why Parcells benched him because he was playing terribly against a bad Rams team.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:15 PM, nyjunc said:

But Ryan Young (along with Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman) allowed us to get out of have cap issues because of Parcells and that led to the 2002 division title.

True.  We used young essentially as trade bait to get cap room but then we signed Sam Garnes with said cap room who was brutal

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The problem with Foley was he often was injured and played inconsistently. This thread is based on the best game of his career against the 49ers. There was more than one game when he was benched for playing poorly. Plus he had no right questioning why Parcells benched him because he was playing terribly against a bad Rams team.

Foley was a capable qb.  Basically a more mobile Neil O’Donnel

The 1999 season was a very dark time for jets fans.  If Parcells had kept Foley we at least make the playoffs