A Realistic Plan

BettyBoop

On 2/17/2020 at 2:55 PM, bitonti said:

I don't think the Jets are going to give Thuney or Glascow 50+ guaranteed either 

they are going to want the 2021 3rd comp for letting Robby walk 

prediction: the Jets are going to bargain hunt 

While Douglas won't sign big name guys he won't avoid adding second tier guys for the sake of a third round pick in 2021.  Douglas knows he needs to cover some serious holes on the OL, WR and CB (and edge) and they won't all come from the draft.  That means guys like Glasgow for decent money.  Conklins no, Glasgows yes.

On 2/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, PepPep said:

I think you may need to get even more realistic with the FA signings. Thuney, Beachum, Jenkins, Poole, Glasgow Dupree and B.Jones is around 70mil right there, probably more. If the Jets extend Jamal, throw on another 8mil (depending on how its structured). Then there are the lower level free agents and backups Burgess, Hewitt, Maulet, Lewis etc. and of course you have to set aside some money for rookie signings and some extra cap room going into the season just in case. 

I don't think they re-sign Poole AND go after a top CB FA.

I don't think they re-sign Jenkins AND go after a top Edge FA. 

I don't think they get 2 top O-line FAs AND bring back Beachum. 

Guess it depends on JD's priority after Oline. Is WR more important than Edge/CB?. Is Edge higher priority than CB?. If from what JD said you build from the lines out, the Edge is more important than CB since it will make any CBs back there cover for less time. We probably should just re-sign Poole and use Bless, Maulet, and then draft another CB no later than the 3rd round. Maybe pick up a mid-tier FA CB. I know that is risky, but we cannot afford another large starting CB FA signing mistake like T Johnson. Those are team killers that just cannot happen again. Heck, that was even much worse than the last Revis contract.  

On 2/18/2020 at 3:18 PM, BettyBoop said:

That means guys like Glasgow for decent money.  Conklins no, Glasgows yes.

Glasgow will get Robby money or a little less. 11 mil per maybe? due to age, pedigree (top 100 draft pick) and positional versatility 

while I hope they make that move, I don't hold out much hope for it.