Why Are Jets Picking 16th In Second Round?

The Jets are clumped together with six teams that finished 7-9. They are on top of the list at #11 in the first round because they had the easiest schedule. But they are last in the group in the second round at #48, while the rest of the teams in the 7-9 maintain their order in the second round. It would seem to me that the entire list of 7-9 teams should go in reverse order in the second round if the idea is to make it fairer. Anyone know what the rules are with this?

18 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The Jets are clumped together with six teams that finished 7-9. They are on top of the list at #11 in the first round because they had the easiest schedule. But they are last in the group in the second round at #48, while the rest of the teams in the 7-9 maintain their order in the second round. It would seem to me that the entire list of 7-9 teams should go in reverse order in the second round if the idea is to make it fairer. Anyone know what the rules are with this?

The other teams do not maintain their order.  Each team moves up one slot except the team at the top (in this case it is us at 11), we drop to the bottom of the list in the next round,  From 11 to 16, while 16  (Atl) moves up to 15 in round 2.  15 (Den) moves up to 14 and so on.

• Upvote 1

The added benefit of utterly meaningless wins after going 1-7.

People like to focus on the 1st round for this type of thing but it can be just as important in the 2nd and beyond.

(No I'm not saying the Jets should have tanked or lost on purpose but the fact is many seasons the jets seem to win one or two late in a lost season that kills us on draft day.)

• Upvote 1