Darnold is being Tannehill'd

Paradis

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Tanny had a much better team around him to boot!

Oh, boy. Now you've done it. I suggest you consider adopting the "good players play good" analytical model. Anything else leads to a rabbit hole of holding onto losing lottery tickets long after it's clear they aren't gonna pay out.

On one hand it absolutely seems non-trivial that Darnold rallies under another coach. The escape and throw to Berrios was nice. Gase does not coach to Darnold’s strengths and it’s clear he needs more opportunities to get out of the pocket and more talent around him.

That said, his feet adversely impact his accuracy and have for a long time. He worked a ton on that this offseason and still didn’t get there 

Also, the Sanchez comparison is way off. Sanchez had terrible turnovers, a lot of them led to points the other way. Darnold isn’t playing well but isn’t turning the ball over either. It’s a different bad - largely because he’s not pushing the ball down the field - but at least a portion of that is playcalling and another factor is the skill guys on the team. I’d love to see him in a more open offense. You’d get some dumb throws and some misfires but I think more good than bad.

All of that said, unless the second contract is well below QB market the Jets have a better chance to be competitive with a quarterback on a rookie deal.

Given the desire to have a team somewhat set up for the quarterback, though - might that make more sense in 2022? Make next year about weapons, if he falls flat on his face again you’ve got an infrastructure in place for the new QB.

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

I sh*t all over Darnold’s performancd last week. He was terrible. 

Today he wasn’t even given a chancs. One of the worst coached games I have ever seen.

Agreed.  Last week he was a big part of the problem. 

This week was just a sh*tstorm around him.  No WRs.  A 37 year old starting RB.  Didn't make much use of TEs.  Or RBs out of the backfield.  Everything was thrown underneath -- SF only had to defend 10 yards of LOS.  The game plan never put any pressure on 49er back up CBs.  Not going to say he was great, but he was much better than last week.