First JN mention of Culter came

R44

It's been almost a year. Just felt I would bump/re-link this thread.....There are some bad projections, but some real good ones too....

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797&highlight=Jay+cutler+leinart

Looking back, I should've had Culter #1, according to a lot of scouts -- BTY, no current juniors on the list.

Great input from a poster known as "anonymous" :Typotux:

Good early call again R44-you are great with your research on players.

Article yesterday in local paper on Miles Austin WR from Monmouth U- this combine is his big chance to show to all the scouts and teams that have never heard or seen him

Thanks faba, I linked that Austin article at DD.com yesterday....wr Marques Colston of Hofstra is also in Indy.

I posted the Cutler thing, in large part, to show it's not like he came out of nowhere, as some fans/his detractors think....He was squarely on the NFL's radar as a junior, but stayed in school and improved his stock.

Somehow, all these draft sites missed this and focused on 5' 11" running QB's from glamour teams as top prospects. Luckily I research for the blog and knew exactly how the NFL felt about him, as far back as 2004.

Same thing with Matt Jones, way before he was first round pick at WR, I projected him as a top 10 WR in his class (even though he played QB)...

Legend is Arkansas coaches begged him to play WR since he got there, feeling he was a Jeremy Shockey type.....He resisted claiming he was on the B-ball team and would jump to the NBA if couldn't play QB :box:

When it became appearant to Jones he wouldn't get close to the NBA as a dunking machine with no shooting skills, he yielded and moved to WR in the NFL.

It's been almost a year. Just felt I would bump/re-link this thread.....There are some bad projections, but some real good ones too....

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797&highlight=Jay+cutler+leinart

Looking back, I should've had Culter #1, according to a lot of scouts -- BTY, no current juniors on the list.

Great input from a poster known as "anonymous" :Typotux:

Riggs,

Cutler is still a huge gamble with the #4 overall pick.

QB's are extremely tough to evaluate going from the transition of college ball to the NFL.

The reason it is so difficult to evaluate QB's is because of the speed of the NFL game. QB's need to make .5 second quicker decisions, need to release the football .5 seconds sooner and they have to have just a little bit more velocity on their delivery.

May sound like "little things", but that's what separates great college QB's from busts in the NFL.

Very tough call on QB's.

Tex, as much as I love Cutler's game and have been pumping him up, I agree that he's more of a "9th pick type player".

Thing is, as you know, QB's with momentum just skyrocket in drafts -- Rivers, ect.

I tell you, I wouldn't want to be the NFL team president that hands one of these QB's a $50 million deal....:baby:

Heck, I might go the Al Davis route and grab someone's 30 year old QB every so often....

I guess the one problem with the Davis scenario is when you do get it right (Gannon), the window of success is short...

Hit on a young QB and your set for a long time.

Tex, as much as I love Cutler's game and have been pumping him up, I agree that he's more of a "9th pick type player".

Thing is, as you know, QB's with momentum just skyrocket in drafts -- Rivers, ect.

I tell you, I wouldn't want to be the NFL team president that hands one of these QB's a $50 million deal....:baby:

Heck, I might go the Al Davis route and grab someone's 30 year old QB every so often....

I guess the one problem with the Davis scenario is when you do get it right (Gannon), the window of success is short...

Riggs,

Nice to see you finally figured out how to turn on your smilely's.;)

So, with everything said, in your opinion, what do Mangini and Tannenbaum do with the #4 pick?

I've said all along, go with D'Brick.

Riggs,

Nice to see you finally figured out how to turn on your smilely's.;)

So, with everything said, in your opinion, what do Mangini and Tannenbaum do with the #4 pick?

I've said all along, go with D'Brick.

That is the pick. They are going to be bad next year. They need so much more than one skill position can give them. Build it with the OLine. As bad as that position was last year you have some youth there with Moore and Jones.

That is the pick. They are going to be bad next year. They need so much more than one skill position can give them. Build it with the OLine. As bad as that position was last year you have some youth there with Moore and Jones.

I'm still hoping they have a shot at drafting Vince Young. Yeah, yeah, i know most people here don't like him, but i do and thats important. :box:

Oh, for the love of mercy.

The mighty webloard is agreeing with me.:eek:

If he did that back in 2002, it would be me, Savage and Max on the same page.;)

Tex, I'm not sure what I would do. Jets fans and all football fans need to realize Jets may not even be able to draft Cutler if he continues to workout well at the Combine. No one is releasing his numbers, but he supposedly put on "a show" on the bench press today, while Leinart and Young are walking around in street clothes :box:

N.O has to go with a QB...It will either be Cutler or Leinart....

Then Tennessee is next....Leinart won't make it by his mentor Norm Chow and it's not likely Tennessee will let Cutler get away (Vandy is in Nashville)....

Where does that leave the Jets?

To answer your question, I might take the risk on this QB, or attempt to trade back a bit......Teams 5-7 aren't in the market for a QB, likely, so you might be able to do something.

BTY, Pioli has it made, getting Brady in round 6....that has to be the ultimate "present" for an NFL exec -- a superstar QB in round 6 that is an established star by age 27....

Most other teams have to throw money at unkowns and hope you don't get fired when they fail (a lot do).

Smilies, at your prodding Tex, I found. In retrospect, I couldn't believe how easy they were to turn on :Typotux:

Paul, check today's and yesterdays DD.com blog.....some heavy hitters (scouts, QB gurus and GM) are speaking out big time against Young.

Here is a question people will need to ask, in all honesty: If Young does drop quite a bit (and he might not), what role does a Mel Kiper have in this, spouting off that he's a sure fire top 3 :lock:

Young loved Texas and would've never left if wasn't considered a top pick. Did a Mel Kiper and his "ilk" draw him out early?

Don't forget, in 2005, Aaron Rodgers was led to believe he was a top 2 pick and he fell all the way to like 24 :Nuts:

BTY, Pioli has it made, getting Brady in round 6....that has to be the ultimate "present" for an NFL exec -- a superstar QB in round 6 that is an established star by age 27....

Riggs,

Great reply, I agree with alot what you said.

Come on, Brady in the 6th round? :eek:

That was pure luck, and no one can convince me otherwise.

That's why I get banned on Pats message boards.;)

Tex, I'm not sure what I would do. Jets fans and all football fans need to realize Jets may not even be able to draft Cutler if he continues to workout well at the Combine. No one is releasing his numbers, but he supposedly put on "a show" on the bench press today, while Leinart and Young are walking around in street clothes :box:

Cutler did 23 reps of 225 today at the combine. And he was also referred to as "Cut-Dog" by John Lott.

Riggs,

Great reply, I agree with alot what you said.

Come on, Brady in the 6th round? :eek:

That was pure luck, and no one can convince me otherwise.

That's why I get banned on Pats message boards.;)

Dude, i get harrassed by some Steelers fans for saying we lucked into Ben Roethlisberger at pick 11 of the first round. Let's face it, picking a stud QB in the NFL draft is a crapshoot. There's more evidence to suggest ya gotta get lucky than there is evidence to suggest it takes "Great" scouting IMO.

HOLY SHNIKES

ya mean you don't have to pay 50 dollars for the privledge to search? :yahoo:

I've seen wideouts throw better passes in short spaces than Young does. To me, he's not even a QB prospect. He has mechanical flaws that are almost so far from being fixable that he might be better off playing in Canada for a few years.

god---n that anonymous

hilarity - we should put that on the blog and say it's a direct quote from the janitor who changes the urinal cakes in the RCA dome. :character42:

R44 great thread - there was so few people on the site but it was still great draft talk - it's like looking into a time capsule.

note i show no interest in teh QB discussion instead wanting to talk about inside linebackers :box:

Tex, a pay site draftguru who goes by the moniker GMJunior claims he sniffed out both Brady and Bulger in the 2000 draft, before everyone else and could do it every draft...

The only sniff he got as a scout, I think was the XFL....

Players like Brady are hard to come by, which is why teams have to "overdraft' these players..

Troll, thanks for the info on Cutler...that's actually a good bench press for a linebacker...He's a pyhsical speciman, for sure.

Matt, I like ranking QB's ahead of time....Where I think I differ from others that do these draft sites, is I don't really care how fast QB's run....40 times by QB's don't impress me.

I see running as a bad thing for QB's, unless they can stay away from the "run-first" impluse...No fast QB can do that, so they usually struggle.

Hey, a QB maybe able to run for 5 pretty first downs a game...but I'll take a Troy Aikman anyday that can dice up defense for 400 yards a game :spongebob:

Riggs,

What is your take on Reggie McNeal from A&M?

Two years ago I thought he was the best college QB in Texas (better then Young) but then he had a horrible 2005 season.

It didn't help that A&M switched to an option offense versus the Pro set they used in 2004.

I think McNeal has very sound mechanics with a great throwing motion. He was put in a bad situation when they went to the option offense. Not to mention 3 out of his 4 WR's had season-ending injuries last year.

He performed great in the East-West game going 9/11, 211 yards and 2 TD's.

Curious to hear your take on this guy.

Tex, the 3 games I watched McNeal in 2005 he was dreadful -- Baylor, Oklahoma and someone else?

It was so bad, most Aggie fans welcomed that running freshman as there only chance against Oklahoma.....

Now, McNeal made a huge statement at the East-West game....:box:

Honestly, I think he's got a good shot to be drafted....Most say 4th-5th round (NFL Networks Corey Chavous says he's 1st round caliber).....I think his height will have a lot to do with where he gets drafted. If he measures in below 6' 2", that hurts him bigtime -- NFL teams don't like smaller QB's...just a fact.

When I first began watching football, it was about the time the USFL came around. McNeal reminds me so much of a QB named Reggie Collier, who was a USFL star in the mid 1980's...

At that time, NFL teams wanted nothing to do running backs (not even Flutie), but there is more intrest now, so he should do better than Collier, who only got a few NFL starts for Dallas.

I think McNeal is a good quarterback and HE SHOULD THROW in Indy, because his arm is a huge asset....

I've already seen some mid-round chumps join young and Leinart by not throwing...Bad move. Never be scared to show off the goods.

Archived