SVSU RB Nate McCrary

Paradis

I try every year to find at least one late round small school back. Last year of course it was James Robinson, but going back a few more I was pretty fond of North Texas’ Jeff Wilson (SF now)... who I’m reminded of with Nate McCrary.

Turns out they’re the same size too. Stylistically they play the game the same way; with vision, and a balance of physicality and finesse. Jeff stood out for his size with the way he slashed through traffic with a head full of steam and relied on his vision to do the rest. He ran with confidence in other words. I see a lot of that in McCrary... James too to an extent. 

Who can say how he’ll look going from Div-II to NFL, but I think he warrants a late pick or priority UDFA contract to find out 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

nice find, theres a bunch of UDFA That are worth looking at this year, possibly even 7th rounders that can certainly develop.  This kid looks good in what I'm looking at here, definitely going to dive in more. 

Add his name to the list with Zach Davidson my small school TE crush from Central Missouri! 

That's right.... i gotta get on Zach. 

There's something about that combination of running with conviction and vision - that makes my knees buckle.  These guys i championed the last few years (Wilson, Robinson. Jones, Edmonds etc) were all good  at ^^  - and were able to couple that with contact balance/shedding tacklers, or the ability to make those decisive cuts with short area quickness. Herbert for example, and more so Hubbard - really miss in this department

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

That's right.... i gotta get on Zach. 

There's something about that combination of running with conviction and vision - that makes my knees buckle.  These guys i championed the last few years (Wilson, Robinson. Jones, Edmonds etc) were all good  at ^^  - and were able to couple that with contact balance/shedding tacklers, or the ability to make those decisive cuts with short area quickness. Herbert for example, and more so Hubbard - really miss in this department

I agree, RB is the one position I relally think when evaluating you can just see the guys that got it and the guys that dont.  Doesnt matter the level either, if youre a natural runner, it comes through on film. 

• Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t love him. He’s fun but the lack of speed at that level is a bit disconcerting.

Shanny system:  Vision >>> Speed 

within reason of course. He doesn’t look slow to me. Think Jeff Wilson ran 4.5s... at 6’+ 220 running with that agility - you could do much worse in rnds 6-7

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Shanny system:  Vision >>> Speed 

within reason of course. He doesn’t look slow to me. Think Jeff Wilson ran 4.5s... at 6’+ 220 running with that agility - you could do much worse in rnds 6-7

Getting caught and not making distance at SVSU gives me pause. If this guy runs anything sub 4.6 then yeah its all good but just based on the film, I have apprehension. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Getting caught and not making distance at SVSU gives me pause. If this guy runs anything sub 4.6 then yeah its all good but just based on the film, I have apprehension. 

You combine someone like him with Gainwell and reshape your running back room. Guys like Wilson and Robinson weren’t selected because they outran DBs. James Robinson had few if any end zone dashes if memory serves. 

• 1 month later...