Waiting to see if my dog needs surgery.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Hope you're having a *good* birthday today, brother. I know that its pretty difficult right now, but I'm hoping you have the chance to actually enjoy this huge milestone in your life. I join the party in September. We've traveled more than 29 billion miles around our sun, thats a lot of milage man. Hope you take some time today and reflect on the journey. 

Thanks, brother, that's crazy perspective.  And to be honest, it really is just a trivial number....

Yeah, we had to get out of the house, so I grabbed the family and booked 5 days right on Cocoa Beach, going to go to KSC tomorrow, and hopefully watch the Boeing Atlas V launch from the beach Friday. Trying to distract ourselves with sun, fun, and for me and Mrs., Rum.... My 12 year old is still having a hard time, I told him its a credit to his character how much he cares for others. Hes the kindest person I know.

But on an unrelated note, I'm also keeping my eye out for any hot blondes in a pink Genie outfit....

View from the hotel room...note the Launch Towers at the Cape in the distance. Lots of Space People at the Hotel for the launch on Friday

20210727_095347.thumb.jpg.a0e496f80126ab9bbc3f9d63be613ccb.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thanks, brother, that's crazy perspective.  And to be honest, it really is just a trivial number....

Yeah, we had to get out of the house, so I grabbed the family and booked 5 days right on Cocoa Beach, going to go to KSC tomorrow, and hopefully watch the Boeing Atlas V launch from the beach Friday. Trying to distract ourselves with sun, fun, and for me and Mrs., Rum.... My 12 year old is still having a hard time, I told him its a credit to his character how much he cares for others. Hes the kindest person I know.

But on an unrelated note, I'm also keeping my eye out for any hot blondes in a pink Genie outfit....

You have a fun day. I wish that number was 'trivial'. For myself, I'm going to refuse to acknowledge it and simply refer to myself as "going golden". 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Ouch.

Curious, did she tear them at same time or did you repair one and then she tore the other?

They were both shot when we found out she needed surgery.  I'm pretty sure what happened was she injured one (in a collision with my brother's dog last summer) and would limp on and off after strenuous exercise.  And then the strain of walking around on only one good knee eventually messed the good one up.  So she had one of them fixed in March of this year, and the other one 7 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

They were both shot when we found out she needed surgery.  I'm pretty sure what happened was she injured one (in a collision with my brother's dog last summer) and would limp on and off after strenuous exercise.  And then the strain of walking around on only one good knee eventually messed the good one up.  So she had one of them fixed in March of this year, and the other one 7 weeks ago.

Got it, my biggest fear with fixing my boys is that he would just in turn, tear the other.  So far, so good.  He's limped for a day once or twice but that was only after he had a long day of play.  So I just need to monitor it.  

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Got it, my biggest fear with fixing my boys is that he would just in turn, tear the other.  So far, so good.  He's limped for a day once or twice but that was only after he had a long day of play.  So I just need to monitor it.  

Yeah, that would have definitely changed the calculus for me.  Because my dog's were both torn (and she's a 1 year old lab) I had to go ahead with it.

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Yeah, that would have definitely changed the calculus for me.  Because my dog's were both torn (and she's a 1 year old lab) I had to go ahead with it.

Mine was a little over 1.  I've got Dobermans, super high energy.  I just didnt think I'd be able to even keep him still long enough to not **** up the surgically repaired knee let alone it effecting the other knee.  And he was fine, I dont think it was a full tear.  It's not like they did an MRI, they just did this little like feel trick thingy.  He had like 4-5 days of limping and by the time I set the visit with the Ortho, he was walking/running at 100%.  Just couldnt see putting him through all that and then when we added the other puppy, not a chance in hell I'd be able to manage that with him.

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Mine was a little over 1.  I've got Dobermans, super high energy.  I just didnt think I'd be able to even keep him still long enough to not **** up the surgically repaired knee let alone it effecting the other knee.  And he was fine, I dont think it was a full tear.  It's not like they did an MRI, they just did this little like feel trick thingy.  He had like 4-5 days of limping and by the time I set the visit with the Ortho, he was walking/running at 100%.  Just couldnt see putting him through all that and then when we added the other puppy, not a chance in hell I'd be able to manage that with him.

Yep, the keeping her still thing was the hardest part of the entire ordeal.  Luckily she's a relatively lazy lab, but it's still frequently a challenge to keep her from hopping around with other dogs.  The physical recovery was the easy part - each time she was putting full weight on her leg within like 3 days after the surgery.  Dogs are crazy.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:13 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Woke up this morning and our 16 year old Cat Luke had a bloated, distended stomach. Brought him to the clinic figuring he had a constipation issue or something....Vet walks up to me and my heart sunk. First words out of his mouth were, "I'm so sorry...". Luke the Cat, my friend of 16 years, the pet my kids call "Our older Cat brother" has a large mass that has now caused organ failure. His normal checkup in March was, "Hes doing well, but feed him Hydrolyzed Protein food".... I took him home so we could all have another day with our buddy, got him all of his favorite foods, let him sit in the sun for one last afternoon, and tomorrow he moves on from this existence. I'm sick. Its one thing after another.  Dad has Cancer, father in law has cancer, and now my damn Cat has cancer. 3 days before my 50th Birthday.

We gave Luke a damn good life, safe, happy, well fed Indoor cat that was always such a talkative dude. And I have to take him to his end tomorrow.  I'm sad. 

1029171050-1.thumb.jpg.0f50c73407fc2cacaff9dc9c6d9a1903.jpg

20200101_134955.thumb.jpg.e4bbae5f2ec5653145087ecfe05dd4ce.jpg

I'm going to miss him, and it isn't real for my kids yet. Tomorrow is gonna suck. 

Free, Im glad your pup is wellisI wish Old Luke got better news today... 

sorry man. You gave him a great life tho

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:13 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Woke up this morning and our 16 year old Cat Luke had a bloated, distended stomach. Brought him to the clinic figuring he had a constipation issue or something....Vet walks up to me and my heart sunk. First words out of his mouth were, "I'm so sorry...". Luke the Cat, my friend of 16 years, the pet my kids call "Our older Cat brother" has a large mass that has now caused organ failure. His normal checkup in March was, "Hes doing well, but feed him Hydrolyzed Protein food".... I took him home so we could all have another day with our buddy, got him all of his favorite foods, let him sit in the sun for one last afternoon, and tomorrow he moves on from this existence. I'm sick. Its one thing after another.  Dad has Cancer, father in law has cancer, and now my damn Cat has cancer. 3 days before my 50th Birthday.

We gave Luke a damn good life, safe, happy, well fed Indoor cat that was always such a talkative dude. And I have to take him to his end tomorrow.  I'm sad. 

1029171050-1.thumb.jpg.0f50c73407fc2cacaff9dc9c6d9a1903.jpg

20200101_134955.thumb.jpg.e4bbae5f2ec5653145087ecfe05dd4ce.jpg

I'm going to miss him, and it isn't real for my kids yet. Tomorrow is gonna suck. 

Free, Im glad your pup is wellisI wish Old Luke got better news today... 

Damn bro I'm sorry man remind your kids (and yourself too) that he's in heaven and as long as they keep him in their thoughts, heart and prayers he'll always be with them and will never be gone. I'm sorry you're going through this and explaining to your kids is going to be hard ??? you gave your little guy a kind and let loving life and that's for sure man. 

• Sympathy 1

• 4 months later...

Of course today these pop up in my "Memories" on FB. I'm honestly glad. I miss Luke. Trying to convince Mrs. Jet_Engine1 to let me get 2 kittens for Christmas (yeah, I'm unabashedly a Cat guy) but so far, she's not ready. 

The Kids are asking, too. Problem will be naming them.  

Anyway, great pics of old Luke. 

FB_IMG_1638404695871.thumb.jpg.deb25a450ee0dd9208febae2b02cb834.jpg

FB_IMG_1638404690361.thumb.jpg.63ad97528fba4f0e1c4663f3a2967f23.jpg

On 12/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Of course today these pop up in my "Memories" on FB. I'm honestly glad. I miss Luke. Trying to convince Mrs. Jet_Engine1 to let me get 2 kittens for Christmas (yeah, I'm unabashedly a Cat guy) but so far, she's not ready. 

Pro tip. Don't name your pet after a Jet QB.

My first golden was named Penny after...well, you know.

My mini-golden is named Bryce after...well...you can guess.

Great dog BTW. 

• Sympathy 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think "Munchie" is a kick ass name for one of the new kittens.  

• Upvote 1