Something no one is talking about

JohnnyLV

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yup.

Still, hard to see why fans so often think other teams trash is their treasure.

Guess we'll see.  I'd wager we don't sign a single Week 1 starter from the crop of end-of-preseason cuts.

We went 2-14 last year. So you are saying that the 54rth player on Tampa Bay's depth chart is not likely any better than the 53rd player on our depth chart? We have been severely lacking in talent from the 1's on down thanks to that genius of a GM we had. It is very possible, probably likely, that players cut by the better teams in the league are much better than the bottom of our roster.

We need depth. Other teams castoffs could be an upgrade in depth on our roster.

9 minutes ago, viffer said:

So you are saying that the 54rth player on Tampa Bay's depth chart is not likely any better than the 53rd player on our depth chart?

I'm pretty sure "what I'm saying" was made perfectly clear already.

But I'll repeat it, just for you.

Depth players and perhaps superior backups, maybe.

Upgrades vs. our starters, I highly doubt it.  Even at TE.

If this isn't clear enough, let me try again:

I'm saying I don't believe we will sign a starter from the cut pile.

I'm saying I do believe we may sign backup players and depth players from the cut pile.

I truly hope this answers your question sufficiently as to what I'm saying.

9 minutes ago, viffer said:

:-k

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm saying I do believe we may sign backup players and depth players from the cut pile.

I see what you're saying.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can you explain this again with memes and videos please? Thanks

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We are #2 on the waiver wire. 

There is no doubt there will be a lot of names as well as terrific prospects that teams will release some time next Saturday.

With the #2 waiver wire position we will be able to get almost anyone we want out of the waived players. WE can certainly upgrade TE, OG, get some developmental players that upgrade the back end ofour roster, etc... With 500 players being released it is almost like a 2nd chance draft for us.

It is a pretty powerful tool for us to add more talent to this roster. With 500 players being released there is almost certainty that there will be a good number of legitimate starters released.

Just a thought 

Like many other posters on the board, I have mentioned it with anticipation.  I fully expect the Jets to cut down to 50 players so they can be agile for the first few weeks of the season while that #2 priority lasts.  There will be a LOT of roster turnover during those weeks. 

But to give Johnny his due, I have not noticed the print media writing about it.  I suppose they do not wish to offend the guys fighting for the final spots.  Especially since they will likely see them again on the practice squad.   

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

Depth players and perhaps superior backups, maybe.

Upgrades vs. our starters, I highly doubt it.  Even at TE.

I have seen your later posts so I will not quibble with you.  Others have pointed out that a trade or salary cap casualty is actually likely to yield a starter and I add my point of view to theirs.  As you know, teams around the league are always looking at the bottom line.  Every year a rookie surprises and shows the team that they are ready to start.  When a perfectly useful veteran with a big fat salary is the starting player, these things happen fast.   It is how  we got Morgan Moses.  He got replaced when the WTF drafted Sam Cosmi in the 2d to play the RT spot.

I have long thought that this was where we were likely to trade for an established player whose price is a late round pick and is a plug and play starter.  We could really use a starting guard right now.  I would happily cough up a 5th for a solid starter we would have to pay handsomely.  Who else are we giving the money to?  We have not used ANY cap tricks and can absorb anything short of another Trumane Johnson deal (the site needs a rule that you cannot mention him anymore).  I wish I was convinced that GVR and McGovern are going to turn it around and improve on a dismal 2020.  But I am not.  Unless AVT is the second coming of Quenton Nelson we are in trouble. 

I agree with you that it is unlikely that we get a starter for free from the cut pile.  But I expect that we will upgrade the roster and some of those players will get starts for this team in 2021.   Never forget, good teams get free stuff.  It is what makes them the good teams (that and the win column).

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I also see some possible trades.  We have accumulated some lower round picks.

I'll refuse to believe we cannot upgrade TE.

Me too on the trades.  As for the tight end group, it is too late to upgrade from Herndon.  Nobody is going to beat him out as the inline starter.  However, there is an opening on the Jets for an H-back and I could see the Jets be active on that front in final cuts.  Yeboah was always unlikely to make the Jets and very likely to sign with our practice squad.  He was always a two-year tryout since he needs to gain strength and weight to compete for the inline work.  He does not have the wheels to be an H-back.  Ironically, Herndon does and is a competent blocker.  Too bad about the los manos de peidra.  The other guys are not much better than what we will get on the wire.  Except for ole reliable Brown.  Good inline blocker and great special teams player.  I expect him to be cut and brought back for week one with the guaranteed salary.

23 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Only players with less than 4 years experience go into the waiver process. 

Also, we stay at #2 for the first three weeks of the season.  

Excellent points and post.  As noted above, I expect a harsh cutdown to 50 and a claim-a-rama for the first three weeks of the season.  It is going to be tough on the end of the roster. 

23 hours ago, Facts said:

We get our pick of the players that couldn’t make other teams…

Cool.

And we are the favored destination for cap casualties and salary dumps.  Teams dump good players.  Why I remember a long-term starter switching teams at the last second . . .   What was that guy's name?  Kendall.  That's it.  Pete Kendall.  It sure did not work out well for the penny-wise team.   There is opportunity out there for teams bold enough to seize it.  Players too.

23 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

We will likely take those few players that are other teams draft picks that could not make their teams due to having good depth at certain positions. Or it could be some 2nd-3rd year players or even some UDFAs we like better than the teams that release them. Not sure we will take too many vets other than maybe someone at Edge if we don't make a trade there, someone like Vic Beasley maybe a player that is a bit of a vet we would bring in though he is already a FA. 

Agreed.  Remember, it is not just a team's castoffs.  Many of those players were guys the Jets liked too but were unable to draft.  Or people who were good fits but we spent camp with somebody else who has not worked out.  Or injuries have opened up spots on the practice squad like they have on our offensive line.  It is time to take a second bite at the apple.  We know who every single one of the rookie players are.  We scouted them intensively.  Same is true for the 2020 class who will soon be cut loose. 

22 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I get the point of not getting excited about players that did not make their original team, but we also need lots of help at offensive line

Amen.  There are real opportunities.  If I am a backup on another team, I am bugging my agent to beat the bushes to get to the Jets.  If I am Joe D, I am trying to get unused assets on the cheap before they spoil on the team that owns them (the rookie deal expires). 

2 hours ago, viffer said:

We went 2-14 last year. So you are saying that the 54rth player on Tampa Bay's depth chart is not likely any better than the 53rd player on our depth chart? We have been severely lacking in talent from the 1's on down thanks to that genius of a GM we had. It is very possible, probably likely, that players cut by the better teams in the league are much better than the bottom of our roster.

Other teams are going to be cutting late draft picks from this year and 2d and 3d rounders from the previous year.  It is not a stretch to think they can upgrade the UDFAs that made our team instead.   It's tough to make the Steelers.  And we liked those guys too. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Nobody is releasing a waiver eligible player that would start on someone else's team. It's the veteran cuts/trades that we can make over the next 2 weeks that can upgrade a couple of positions. 

Perfectly stated.  I would not be at all surprised to see Joe D cough up a draft pick for a durable starter that another team is willing to trade for salary reasons or an unexpected rookie.