Something no one is talking about

JohnnyLV

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We can certainly upgrade TE, OG, get some developmental players that upgrade the back end ofour roster, etc... With 500 players being released it is almost like a 2nd chance draft for us.

Depth players and perhaps superior backups, maybe.

Upgrades vs. our starters, I highly doubt it.  Even at TE.

If opportunity knocks, no question we should take advantage. But, I hope, and bet, we avoid higher floor, low ceiling mid-career vets, even if they might make us better this year. Build for the long haul like it is a second 2020 draft.

26 minutes ago, Jethead said:

If opportunity knocks, no question we should take advantage. But, I hope, and bet, we avoid higher floor, low ceiling mid-career vets, even if they might make us better this year. Build for the long haul like it is a second 2020 draft.

We will likely take those few players that are other teams draft picks that could not make their teams due to having good depth at certain positions. Or it could be some 2nd-3rd year players or even some UDFAs we like better than the teams that release them. Not sure we will take too many vets other than maybe someone at Edge if we don't make a trade there, someone like Vic Beasley maybe a player that is a bit of a vet we would bring in though he is already a FA. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, peebag said:

uh...have you seen some of our starters?

Yup.

Still, hard to see why fans so often think other teams trash is their treasure.

Guess we'll see.  I'd wager we don't sign a single Week 1 starter from the crop of end-of-preseason cuts.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Facts said:

We get our pick of the players that couldn’t make other teams…

Cool.

You need to improve all parts of your roster including the bottom end and developmental guys so it is a dereliction of duty to not look closely at bottom of the roster players that might turn into something.

The jets were the 2nd worst team in the league last year for a numb er of reasons.  no one is going to convince me we can;t upgrade our 2nd or 3rd TE with some other teams cast off or trade for one

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Um, those are exactly the guys you're looking for. Hate to break it to you, but the only first and second rounders early in their career getting cut are the so-so mid level or worse guys. I'd love to be wrong. However, solid mid career vets, are good glue guys for a couple years. As drafts come and go you can replace them.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup.

Still, hard to see why fans so often think other teams trash is their treasure.

Guess we'll see.  I'd wager we don't sign a single Week 1 starter from the crop of end-of-preseason cuts.

If your expectation is instead "backup OG who can play for a game or two and not get Zach Adrien Clarked", that seems much more reasonable.

I think we have 6 OL who I'm not terrified of.  Getting even one more would be *very* nice...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, thshadow said:

If your expectation is instead "backup OG who can play for a game or two and not get Zach Adrien Clarked", that seems much more reasonable.

I think we have 6 OL who I'm not terrified of.  Getting even one more would be *very* nice...

Isn't that what I said in my first reply in this thread?

21 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We are #2 on the waiver wire. 

There is no doubt there will be a lot of names as well as terrific prospects that teams will release some time next Saturday.

With the #2 waiver wire position we will be able to get almost anyone we want out of the waived players. WE can certainly upgrade TE, OG, get some developmental players that upgrade the back end ofour roster, etc... With 500 players being released it is almost like a 2nd chance draft for us.

It is a pretty powerful tool for us to add more talent to this roster. With 500 players being released there is almost certainty that there will be a good number of legitimate starters released.

Just a thought 

Ben Banogu, Jose Borregales are at the top of the list imo.