The obsession with playing rookie QBs

Viermoo

How many rookie QBs, especially those who play on terrible teams, have to have their careers nearly destroyed because teams are obsessed with playing them? Do the front office people and coaches ever learn?

Zach is obviously not mentally prepared to deal with the complexity nor speed of pro defenses. Right now, no matter how much film study he does, once he steps on the field all that study flies out the window. Not to mention, he came to an already atrocious team whose OL has barely played together, had to learn a brand new offense and has barely any proven skill athletes on the entire team. Why would any front office or coaching group think this would be a recipe for success? Patrick Mahomes sat for a year and is arguably the games best QB. If it’s good for him why not Zach whose team is abysmal?

At this point he needs to sit the rest of the year. He needs time to develop. They can call it whatever they want; being benched, development, etc… If the team don’t do it we will be looking for another QB in three years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Viermoo said:

How many rookie QBs, especially those who play on terrible teams, have to have their careers nearly destroyed because teams are obsessed with playing them? Do the front office people and coaches ever learn?

Zach is obviously not mentally prepared to deal with the complexity nor speed of pro defenses. Right now, no matter how much film study he does, once he steps on the field all that study flies out the window. Not to mention, he came to an already atrocious team whose OL has barely played together, had to learn a brand new offense and has barely any proven skill athletes on the entire team. Why would any front office or coaching group think this would be a recipe for success? Patrick Mahomes sat for a year and is arguably the games best QB. If it’s good for him why not Zach whose team is abysmal?

At this point he needs to sit the rest of the year. He needs time to develop. They can call it whatever they want; being benched, development, etc… If the team don’t do it we will be looking for another QB in three years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Zachs post game presser was hard to watch...  salehs was worse...

This thing is coming undone @ the seams

• Upvote 1

I can imagine the scene ... Jets trot out some vet like McCown / Fitz, or maybe we kept Sam and still drafted Zach to develop.

We open 0-3 anyway - I don't see how any QB could succeed in the mess we have at the moment - and before you know it there are screams to "play the kid" and "he ain't gonna learn sat on the bench" and "#2 draft pick and he can't even see the field".

There is no patience anymore. If you set out to sit the rookie, the cries of horror from the fans / media alike become a big distraction and eventually the kid gets to play ... looks as predicted ... "why didn't they sit him longer?". 

There were calls in preseason to play Fields from Game 1. I think we saw why that was not the original plan. 

Overall this team is a mess ... especially on offense. Big question is - will Zach sink or swim? Because those are pretty much the only two options I see right now.

• Upvote 1

It was unforgivable to not get competition. Our fanbase would have been calling for Tyrod Taylor or Andy Dalton to be benched but so be it. Can't fold to pressure from the fans or media and it's not like Saleh would be under pressure to lose his job. 

Nagy is getting a lot of sh*t in Chicago but yesterday showed he was dead on to hold off on Fields. These guys just aren't ready and it's sad because the talent is legit - it just needs refining as they get up to speed and get familiar with the offence. 

I've always been a proponent of sitting young QB's. You can debate the benefits but I can't think of a single example where it actively caused harm. It's clear to see that Wilson is getting spooked and it's a matter of time before he gets hurt. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

It was unforgivable to not get competition. Our fanbase would have been calling for Tyrod Taylor or Andy Dalton to be benched but so be it. Can't fold to pressure from the fans or media and it's not like Saleh would be under pressure to lose his job. 

Nagy is getting a lot of sh*t in Chicago but yesterday showed he was dead on to hold off on Fields. These guys just aren't ready and it's sad because the talent is legit - it just needs refining as they get up to speed and get familiar with the offence. 

I've always been a proponent of sitting young QB's. You can debate the benefits but I can't think of a single example where it actively caused harm. It's clear to see that Wilson is getting spooked and it's a matter of time before he gets hurt. 

Right now there are two risks - physical injury is one, the other is the damage this will do to his technique / confidence longer term. You can already see him dropping, dropping, dropping ... not feeling like he can set his feet, relying on his arm for throws rather than proper technique.

I just hope the guy has the ability to bounce back from the beating he's taking physically and mentally right now. I just can't see how he's supposed to succeed with the total dysfunction across the whole offense right now. That early bye week is probably a good thing.