How many Legitimate NFL Starters came out of 2021 Roster?

Interested in your thoughts.  Here is my list (of course we need them to stay healthy)

OFFENSE

1. WR: Corey Davis but as a #2 (expect a bounce back year; if not he’s gone).  {Replaced Perriman}
2. WR: Elijah Moore w/ big time upside.  {Replaced Mims}

3. WR: Berrios as a slot when Moore shifts to outside (estimate 50% of time).  Look for him to re-sign.  {Predict will replace *Crowder}

4. RB: Carter (top 3 RB in YAC, a very promising sign).  {Replaced Gore}

5. QB: Wilson (ended year well, still some ? marks).  {Replaced Darnold}

6. LT: Fant developed from a questionable starter into a legitimate, top 10 overall LT.  {Replaced *Becton}

7. Center:  MvGovern re-established himself after a subpar 2020.  {Returned to being average / slightly above average starter}

8. LG:  AVT looks like a future Pro Bowler.  {Replaced Lewis}

9. RG:  LDT changed the entire OL {replacing the inadequate GVR}.  Crystal ball is foggy if he returns

I consider Moses as possible insurance policy for Becton at RT.  Fant stays at LT in my scenario.

My entire list is made up of either new (draft, FA), developing (Fant, Berrios), and re-established offensive starters (McGovern, LDT) compared to 2020.  In fact, for 2020 I only have Crowder and Becton as legitimate offensive starters.  

A really nice job by JD flipping an ‘offensive’ offensive roster into an NFL capable one that can make some noise if the young guns take the next step, players actually stay healthy, Wilson proves himself to be a franchise QB and we add some nice pieces in FA and the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

DEFENSE is less clear and on paper took a big step backward as the Jets transitioned from a 3-4 to a 4-3.  It’s difficult to even do a side by side comparison.

1. DE: JFM who likely will shift inside, at least on passing downs, in 2022.  Certainly hasn’t lived up to his new contract but the defense is an unmitigated disaster so giving him a pass for now

2. DE: C Lawson but our bad luck got in the way.  Looked extremely promising, now is a bit of a question mark

3. LB: Mosley who replaces a guy I’m pretty sure is no longer starting in the league and whose name escapes me.  No longer a stud, but a nice piece with better players around him.  At the very least, proved he is still a competent starter after a 2 year layoff

4. CB: Hall has proven he is a quality starter in this league despite no pass rush and little back end support.  His upside is promising as the team looks to add some players around him

5. Nickel: Carter II started strong and kind of leveled off.  I’m confident he is a multi-year top 20 nickel back who will only get better

6. Quinnen:  Started strong but shoulder injury seemed to impact him.  For now, a quality starter with upside regardless of his draft position 

• Sympathy 1

In addition, we are starting to see some depth pieces take shape especially on Defense, again assuming they can remain healthy.

Offense is pretty bare and that is a problem:  QB Mike White, maybe Ty Johnson, rooting for Yeboah who at least showed up against Tampa

Defensive depth is promising in Echols, Guidry, Pinnock (very intriguing how he ended year at safety), A Davis, Riley, Quincy Williams, and Huff.  Didn’t see enough of the 2 rookie LBs or DT to say one way or the other.

I’m not pencilling in any of these guys as 2022 starters but they do make up quality depth, especially on the defensive side. 

• Upvote 1

I keep thinking Quincy Williams is just depth.  But every time he's on the field, I keep hearing his name in a good way.  He may not become a starter, but these days 'starter' is an overrated term and QW1 (he's older than Quinnen) is proving to be a solid piece.

• Upvote 3

Corey Davis should not be the #1 WR next year. By then Moore should be healthy and good enough for that.

Berrios will in all likelyhood be the #4 WR. He is reliable, and should stay on the team but shouldn't be consistently relied on. If we can get another WR in there as a #3 that would be optimal.

The whole OL is probably starting caliber, but LDT and Moses are questionable to return as you said. Fant is a must-keep, his only concern is injuries. Becton is questionable.

Carter is definitely a starter-level RB, he was an awesome pick from JD.

Hopefully Zach improves off of his strong finish (Yes, he finished strong. I'm not counting the Bills game because of the immense lack of starters around him).

Mosely is a good leader, but has been mediocre as of late. I don't doubt that he will be largely the same next season, and I'm on the fence about him. He can be good when he needs to.

Carter II and Hall are both good, and Echols is ok. Echols shouldn't be getting the time he has been when the team is healthy.

JFM has been ok, but started on fire and after his extension he has gone cold. Hopefully he plays better next year, but he was still a needed piece when the defense played well. Lawson probably won't be the OL destroyer he was in training camp (Achilles injuries don't ever let a player to get back to what they once were), but hopefully he will be more effective than whatever was going on this season. 

Quinnen is pretty good, but I would say eventually somebody needs to replace him as starter when the defense is much better. 

Safety position really needs to be looked at. Riley and Davis probably aren't quality starters, and hopefully the Jets will have better players at that position. 

48 minutes ago, Hex said:

Corey Davis should not be the #1 WR next year. By then Moore should be healthy and good enough for that.

Berrios will in all likelyhood be the #4 WR. He is reliable, and should stay on the team but shouldn't be consistently relied on. If we can get another WR in there as a #3 that would be optimal.

The whole OL is probably starting caliber, but LDT and Moses are questionable to return as you said. Fant is a must-keep, his only concern is injuries. Becton is questionable.

Carter is definitely a starter-level RB, he was an awesome pick from JD.

Hopefully Zach improves off of his strong finish (Yes, he finished strong. I'm not counting the Bills game because of the immense lack of starters around him).

Mosely is a good leader, but has been mediocre as of late. I don't doubt that he will be largely the same next season, and I'm on the fence about him. He can be good when he needs to.

Carter II and Hall are both good, and Echols is ok. Echols shouldn't be getting the time he has been when the team is healthy.

JFM has been ok, but started on fire and after his extension he has gone cold. Hopefully he plays better next year, but he was still a needed piece when the defense played well. Lawson probably won't be the OL destroyer he was in training camp (Achilles injuries don't ever let a player to get back to what they once were), but hopefully he will be more effective than whatever was going on this season. 

Quinnen is pretty good, but I would say eventually somebody needs to replace him as starter when the defense is much better. 

Safety position really needs to be looked at. Riley and Davis probably aren't quality starters, and hopefully the Jets will have better players at that position. 

Yep, we agree pretty much on everything although I have Quinnen as a very good player (not elite) whose production was hurt by a shoulder injury with 5 or so games left.  He has not earned an extension but not sure we should be looking for his replacement just yet.

I also have Berrios as a starting slot but agree we need another starter.  Jets are unique in that Moore is a hybrid inside / outside guy so they'll need a starting slot caliber receiver half the time when he is on the outside.  Just look at how he was being used even with Crowder in the lineup.  The extra WR will at least be protection with all these injuries and if Corey Davis doesn't rebound in a pretty big way.  He can be cut after this year for under $1M dead money if I remember correctly. 

This analysis is consistent with the results we saw on the field-the offense seems to be coming together, in terms of personnel, scheme and coaching, but the defense is a bit of a mess.   The problem is that to get the offense to a place that is competitive for the playoffs, it still needs at least half of the round 1-3 draft picks.  Having to potentially replace or cover for 2 2020 premium draft picks is not helpful either.