Down By Contact Rule Change

Maxman

Best new rule: Allowing instant replay on fumbles even if the whistle has blown. No more teams getting saved by the down by contact rule.

Gary Myers wrote that today. I was not aware of this change.

The only thing is where do they draw the line? If a guy fumbles but the whistle is blown, do the players continue playing anyway? Just not sure how that is going to work.

Gary Myers wrote that today. I was not aware of this change.

The only thing is where do they draw the line? If a guy fumbles but the whistle is blown, do the players continue playing anyway? Just not sure how that is going to work.

This will create a nightmare.

How can the play continue if the whistle is blown?

This will create a nightmare.

How can the play continue if the whistle is blown?

Yeah now that I think about it more I am even more confused.

What is the point of the review? If someone recovers it doesn't that mean they continued after the whistle was blown? Which would be a violation itself.

What is the point of the review? If someone recovers it doesn't that mean they continued after the whistle was blown? Which would be a violation itself.

Exactly.

I don't know how they will incorporate this change.

the "football move" stuff I finally understand...

but this is just retarded, unless they mean that ALL loose balls will be treated as fumbles and only after the play will the referee rule that he was down by contact, and THEN it can be challenged?

very confusing... it's impossible for them to rule the outcome of a play after the whistle has been blown.

What does change is the fact that a line judge can no longer overturn a fumble based on weither the fumble took place from the ground or not. Now it becomes the responcibility of a coach, based on the review policy or the replay booth in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd or 4th quarters...

The rule change will be just like in College within the last 2 minutes of the half & end of game.

What it eliminates is the ability of a line judge to overrule a fumble - based on the belief that it was caused by the ground.

In other words: ALL FUMBLES ARE FUMBLES!

Unless it is requested by a coach or the booth for review...

the "football move" stuff I finally understand...

but this is just retarded, unless they mean that ALL loose balls will be treated as fumbles and only after the play will the referee rule that he was down by contact, and THEN it can be challenged?

very confusing... it's impossible for them to rule the outcome of a play after the whistle has been blown.

The "football move" stuff is too vague imo.

An extremely loud stadium in a playoff game, the defender wraps up the RB, but rather than tkae him down he starts driving him backwards. The ref blows the whistle but the defender keeps pushing and the ball comes loose, defense recovers. Ref can't hear when the whistle blew in the replay due to stadium noise during the play, rules it a fumble. Players are going to continue hitting long after the whistle and somebody unsuspecting is going to get hurt.

This just puts more pressure on the refs.... guys will continue to hit after the whistle. The refs have to be a little slower with the whistle..... that would solve the problem. If the ball pops out, then let the replay decide, but down by contact has to remain in effect. The whistle HAS to be the END of the play.... period. Just don't be so quick with it.

This just puts more pressure on the refs.... guys will continue to hit after the whistle. The refs have to be a little slower with the whistle..... that would solve the problem. If the ball pops out, then let the replay decide, but down by contact has to remain in effect. The whistle HAS to be the END of the play.... period. Just don't be so quick with it.

Great suggestion Thunder, that's exactly what needs to happen.

They need to stop with the stupid rules and go back to football in the 80s and early 90s. I still think the no contact rule after 5 yards is stupid. And personally, I don't think it's football if you can't knock down WRs at the line on bumps. It's some stupid prissy girly game now. And handchecks. How can a handcheck be illegal? That's how you play defense as a corner damnit.

They discussed this rule the other day on sirius NFL radio and what I took from it was that the rule is being changed because in most cases players tend to fight for fumbles as it is, just that it's not worth it because of when the whistle blows. As the league sees it now, refs will still blow the whistle, guys will still fight for the fumbles, but now whoever rightfully recovers it, keeps it.

if the ref thinks the ground caused the fumble, he's gotta blow the whistle to end the play right then & there. slow whistles are gonna cause too much mayhem.

only 1 more rule needs to be introduced to the nfl...FULL TIME REFS

Archived