The Jets Really Need a Good DT

PeterNorth09

That is the key to the defense next year. Unless we get a big (I mean over 6'3 and 300 lbs) and skilled DT our defense will be a little above average at best. Dewayne Robertson is becoming a part-time player a la John Abraham and we never replaced Jason Ferguson.

You want to switch to 3-4 scheme? Who's going to play Nose? You want to stick with 4-3? We need at least one legit DT to pair up with Robertson who will probably play in only half the games next year anyway. It is essential to our run defense and the pass rush.

That Monsanto guy we signed does not impress me at all and he is smallish for a DT. Kimo is really a defensive end and he's 35.

Only 3 DT's stand out in this draft. Haloti Ngata, Broderick Bunkley and Gabe Watson. We really need to get one of these three players.

Ngata will be available at 4. Bunkley will probably be off the board by 20. Watson is a project who may be available at 29. Ngata and Bunkley are probably ready to start right away.

That is the key to the defense next year. Unless we get a big (I mean over 6'3 and 300 lbs) and skilled DT our defense will be a little above average at best. Dewayne Robertson is becoming a part-time player a la John Abraham and we never replaced Jason Ferguson.

You want to switch to 3-4 scheme? Who's going to play Nose? You want to stick with 4-3? We need at least one legit DT to pair up with Robertson who will probably play in only half the games next year anyway. It is essential to our run defense and the pass rush.

That Monsanto guy we signed does not impress me at all and he is smallish for a DT. Kimo is really a defensive end and he's 35.

Only 3 DT's stand out in this draft. Haloti Ngata, Broderick Bunkley and Gabe Watson. We really need to get one of these three players.

Ngata will be available at 4. Bunkley will probably be off the board by 20. Watson is a project who may be available at 29. Ngata and Bunkley are probably ready to start right away.

Fergy was kind of an enigma that last year with us...it's kind of difficult to gauge a player like that when he's playing for a contract...and he definitely was. Still, I agree, we haven't replaced his play.

I look at this as a two year rebuild..... plenty of both 3-4 and 4-3 this year. They won't have all the parts in place until 2007. I think you will see some Kemo, D-Rob and Pouha at NT, in the 3-4. I also think the FO will look for a tweener DE/OLB, that can line up either way, and keep the opposing offense guessing.

I look at this as a two year rebuild..... plenty of both 3-4 and 4-3 this year. They won't have all the parts in place until 2007. I think you will see some Kemo, D-Rob and Pouha at NT, in the 3-4. I also think the FO will look for a tweener DE/OLB, that can line up either way, and keep the opposing offense guessing.

Drafting Mario will fill that void nicely.

We most likely will draft a DT Day 1 with 5 selections. If not, then I've got to believe we'd draft one in Round 4 with another 2 selections.

Orien Harris from The U is a guy I like a lot if he falls to Round 4.

I have to agree with what I heard Hank Goldberg say down here on the radio a couple of weeks ago-there IS (are?) no rebuilding years anymore in the NFL-every team is in a win-now mode.I think that if you'd ask Mangini he'd tell you he's going for the title THIS year,and you know what this could be another year like 2002 when all the teams are bunched up around .500 and 9-7 in the East-ya never know.

I have to agree with what I heard Hank Goldberg say down here on the radio a couple of weeks ago-there IS (are?) no rebuilding years anymore in the NFL-every team is in a win-now mode.I think that if you'd ask Mangini he'd tell you he's going for the title THIS year,and you know what this could be another year like 2002 when all the teams are bunched up around .500 and 9-7 in the East-ya never know.

I tend to agree with that. A lot of teams recently that had losing

records one year have a winning record the following year and are

competing. I see the afc east with no standout team this year.

Now I wouldn't bet my house that the Jets become contenders this year

but I can see Mangini making them a lot better than we think.

Agree. Tired of hearing about how this is a 2-year, 5-year, 8-year rebuilding plan. Why can't we get better this year? In 1997 Parcells took a 1-15 team and the next year made them 9-7, last year Saban took a horrific Phins team and made them 9-7.

Why should we be content with drafting D'Brick and not taking of the other positions on offense and defense? I've been waiting long enough.

Orien Harris from The U is a guy I like a lot if he falls to Round 4.

Good call on harris. Here's an article from Canes premium (yes I do pay for that one). Although premium articles really shouldnt be copied/posted, its a couple of months old, and i'm sure it's cool.

Big-O Enjoyed the 2005 Season

DT Orien Harris By: Christopher Stock

Date: Dec 28, 2005

Senior defensive tackle Orien Harris was one of the leaders of the team this season. His energy during games and practices will be missed after he plays in his final game on Friday in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl against LSU.

It was clear to see from the beginning of fall practices that Orien Harris had a different attitude. He was one of the guys leading the dancing in stretching before practice.

"I think I put too much pressure on myself last year," Harris said. "I wasn't really enjoying myself."

"I didn't like the way I was playing last year," Harris said. "It is a lot easier now. I had a lot more fun this year than in the past."

Last year, Harris finished the season with 16 unassisted tackles and 1.5 sacks.

This year, Harris has 28 unassisted tackles and three sacks. He is also fourth on the team in total tackles.

"I know by watching film on last year I wasn't showing what kind of player I am," Harris said. "I think I showed a little bit more this year of what I can do. I don't think I fulfilled my talent last year. I just got back to my roots this year of how I used to play."

Following the 2004 season Harris had off-season shoulder surgery which kept him out the majority of spring practices.

"After my surgery I stepped back and looked at what is important and what is not," Harris said.

With Harris as one of the leaders of the defense he had to step up when defensive line coach Greg Mark was fired in October after the 'Canes were 5-1.

"We just had to mature and we got a lot closer with each other," Harris said. "It was a tough situation to go through mid-season. It just showed our maturity as a team and the kind of players we have at the University of Miami."

Although Mark had a good relationship with a number of players, Harris thinks the guys handled the situation very well.

"It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would," Harris said. "We just wanted to flourish as a d-line even more."

Harris will be playing in his final game as a Hurricane, but the future is bright at defensive line.

"I think the '06 defensive line should be better than the '05 group," Harris said. "There is a lot of young talent that should step up. I don't think they should have any problems."

canestime.com

Archived