If the Lions and Texans can become playoff success stories, so can the Jets

McDonald pick is typical JD...zero impact  and mainly invisible.
Ummm ... did 2022 not happen?

"Typical JD" drafted three immediate high impact guys plus a fourth who showed promise in limited action who then developed into a strong starter in Year 2.

1 out of 5 guys doesn't define "typical". 1 out of 6 if we add Tippman to the mix.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

"Typical JD" drafted three immediate high impact guys plus a fourth who showed promise in limited action who then developed into a strong starter in Year 2.

1 out of 5 guys doesn't define "typical". 1 out of 6 if we add Tippman to the mix.

That’s great and those picks, especially Suace and Wilson, were no brainers.   No go through the rest of JD’s drafts.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Short sighted is an understatement of your post. Examine all of JD's drafts and 2022 is the only one that receives a high grade. 2020 being the worst and others close behind. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Short sighted is an understatement of your post. Examine all of JD's drafts and 2022 is the only one that receives a high grade. 2020 being the worst and others close behind. 

I replied to your statement that a "typical" JD draft pick is low impact and invisible.

I'll accept that McDonald in year one, Mims, Zuniga, Morgan, Perine, Nasirildeen, and Marshall were invisible and low impact. 

Davis was a slow starter but has developed somewhat in his time. Clark had a freak injury. Izzy, Barnes, Converse and Kuntz are too early to say.

Whether they worked out or not, Becton, Bryce Hall, Braden Mann, Zach, AVT, Moore, Carter, Sherwood, MCII, Pinnock, Echols, Sauce, Garrett, JJII, Breece, Ruckert, Mitchell, Clemons, Tippman and Warren cannot be described as low impact and invisible.

That's 20 guys if we're counting that were not "invisible and low impact" vs. 7 that were, 4 of which were day three picks.

I think the Texans will have longer success then the Lions. Actually think the Lions will take a step back next year when they lose their OC and potentially DC this off season. With that said, they could win it all THIS year and none of that matters. 

But once you hit on a QB, you're golden. And Texans have that. 

The Lions will have to find someone just as good as Ben Johnson and keep Goff going and then they'll eventually have to find a young QB.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I think the Texans will have longer success then the Lions. Actually think the Lions will take a step back next year when they lose their OC and potentially DC this off season. With that said, they could win it all THIS year and none of that matters. 

But once you hit on a QB, you're golden. And Texans have that. 

The Lions will have to find someone just as good as Ben Johnson and keep Goff going and then they'll eventually have to find a young QB.

With Goff I get more of a sense that when you can keep him upright he's very good ... but when he gets a lot of pressure things can go south.

Stroud looks like the kind of guy who is as good, or possibly better, when under pressure. What will be interesting to see is how he looks in Year 2 now that there's a lot of game tape on him. 

35 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I replied to your statement that a "typical" JD draft pick is low impact and invisible.

I'll accept that McDonald in year one, Mims, Zuniga, Morgan, Perine, Nasirildeen, and Marshall were invisible and low impact. 

Davis was a slow starter but has developed somewhat in his time. Clark had a freak injury. Izzy, Barnes, Converse and Kuntz are too early to say.

Whether they worked out or not, Becton, Bryce Hall, Braden Mann, Zach, AVT, Moore, Carter, Sherwood, MCII, Pinnock, Echols, Sauce, Garrett, JJII, Breece, Ruckert, Mitchell, Clemons, Tippman and Warren cannot be described as low impact and invisible.

That's 20 guys if we're counting that were not "invisible and low impact" vs. 7 that were, 4 of which were day three picks.

Be careful about some of those guys you cite as impactful. Becton, Zach, Ruckert, Moore, who they ran out of here and traded? Morgan, and Zuniga were complete head scratchers on draft day also.

JD's biggest negative is his stubbornness in admitting his mistakes and insistence on forcing playing time and roster spots to such. It will get worse as this regime knows it is on borrowed time and is likely to make desperate and dangerous moves in the near future.  

• Upvote 1

There are so many issues and just flat out horrific luck. 

Jets OC's since Schotty left

Nathaniel Hackett

Hackett is the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets since the 2023 season.

Mike LaFleur

LaFleur was the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets in the 2021-2022 seasons, a total of two years.

Dowell Loggains

Loggains was the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets in the 2019-2020 seasons, a total of two years.

Jeremy Bates

Bates was the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets in the 2018 season. Bates' record as the team's offensive coordinator was 4-12-0, making him the second-least successful offensive coordinator in New York Jets history.

John Morton

Morton was the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets in the 2017 season.

Chan Gailey

Gailey was the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets in the 2015-2016 seasons, a total of two years.

Marty Mornhinweg

Mornhinweg was the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets in the 2013-2014 seasons, a total of two years.

Tony Sparano

Sparano was the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets in the 2012 season.

Nothing more than 2 years. So all these QB's we are wasting high picks on basically are learning at least 2 offenses in their time here. Hard enough for them to just deal with one. Now maybe you fix that by bringing in and offensive guy as the HC but they probably would only last 3 years before getting fired anyway.

The Rams trade for Stafford and they win a Super Bowl.

The Bucs Trade for Brady and they win the Super Bowl.

The Bucs take a flyer on Baker Mayfield who joins his 4th team and they get to the playoffs.

The Lions get Goff ( who alot of folks here would have wanted nothing to do with) and they are playing in the NFC Title game Sunday

The Jets trade for Aaron Rodgers, here blows his achillies 4 plays into the season

Your starting left tackle and starting guard who you spent high draft picks on have basically missed 2 season each.

The stability thing is the thing for me. I like JD I think he has done a good job getting this team better from where it was in 2020. Yes he missed on the QB and his LT and top guard can't stay healthy. He has made good trades (and yes I am not ready to throw in towel on Rodgers just yet. Salah though gives me concern. His flat out refusal to put Sauce on a teams best WR makes me nuts and I don't like his trash talk when things are going well. 

I just think this is who we are. Constantly spinning our wheels, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

6 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Be careful about some of those guys you cite as impactful. Becton, Zach, Ruckert, Moore, who they ran out of here and traded? Morgan, and Zuniga were complete head scratchers on draft day also.

JD's biggest negative is his stubbornness in admitting his mistakes and insistence on forcing playing time and roster spots to such. It will get worse as this regime knows it is on borrowed time and is likely to make desperate and dangerous moves in the near future.  

Impact is a broad term ... if Moore had had zero impact they wouldn't have got rid of him, nor would someone have traded for him. Headcases can still be impact guys. As can injury prone LTs and turnover prone QBs. ;-) 

Looking specifically at WMD, the main complaint about whom was his lack of playing time / production. He played 186 snaps in 2023 and logged 3 sacks. That's 1.6% of his snaps. Huff (his best comparison) had 10 sacks out of 480 - 2.1% of his snaps. I'm not trying to say it's linear, but if WMD had 480 snaps and the same % rate then he'd have had about 7.5 sacks on the year and we'd all be salivating. He may not have been the "obvious need" pick, but he's not been a bust either when on the field. We'll need to see how Year 2 goes and he plays more snaps - does his production keep up?

It's a little unfair of Brian Costello to put the Texans in the Lions' category.  Going into this year, the Lions were probably the worst team in the history of the NFL (SB era). They had 1 playoff win in their entire history and that was 30 years ago.  Maybe the Cardinals were the only comparable prior to 2008 (they'd only had 1 postseason win until that point too) but then they made the SB.  Hopefully the Lions can win today and give their long-suffering fans some much needed relief.  

• Upvote 1