The Broncos almost traded up to take Darnold, but Gettleman cocked it up

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

As someone who was very, very pro-keep-Darnold-and-trade-down at the time, it was a reasonable plan to draft Zach or Fields at 2 because 1. The next year’s QB crop was the miserable Kenny Pickett class and 2. No GM should ever think they’ll get a shot at picking inside the top five twice in their tenure without getting fired for it. Douglas was in the right to take his shot at a QB there

People and teams AWAYS act as if this years crop of WBs is the last ever ad there will be no more good QBs.

Very often crops of great QBS are vastly overrated with 'generational' guys like lawrence being totally over valued.

Every single year one or more guys totally not on the radar the year before rise up to be hot prospects. (Anthiny richardson, jayden daniles zach wilson)

QB is so important you need to get it right so bid your time build the team and then go get your guy.

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They could have just as easily traded darnold for the 2 and the 4 to carolina and brought in a vet for a year or so.

Either or, keep darnold or traded him but the they could have got so much for that #2 pick and actually had a ready built team when they decided to draft their next QB.

And Douglas has repeated the mistake by panicking with the Aaron rodgers move.

The jets convinced themselves the team was built and all they need is a QB.  The team is still not sufficiently bile to win.

You realize 99% of the time a QB goes top-3, they're going to a team that's nowhere near "built", right?  Unless the argument is never take a QB at the top of the draft, but if you do, make sure you're a good team first and then trade up?  And I was someone who wanted to hang onto Darnold, but it had nothing to do with thinking we still had other holes to fill or because I didn't like any of the 2021 QB prospects.  I still believed in Darnold, so I wanted to give him another year.

We were ready to compete in 2022, a year after we took our QB(maybe not win a SB, but we absolutely could have been a playoff team last year with a decent QB).  If we took the right guy, no one would have given a **** about us taking a QB a year early.  Waiting a year would have resulted in...what?  Us drafting Kenny Pickett in 2022 instead of Garrett Wilson?  That 2022 QB class was garbage.  At least the top prospects.  Maybe we would have lucked out with Purdy, but I highly doubt it.  Or do we bring in a stopgap and look to draft a QB in 2023?  With any decent veteran QB we probably would have been a playoff team in 2022-23, so unless you massively trade up(look at what CAR paid and then imagine what the cost would have been from pick 20), we probably would have been looking at Levis.  Not really sure if that would have been the scenario to put us over the top.  

Had we ended up picking #1 in 2021, would we be  having this conversation if we took Trevor Lawrence?  I highly doubt it. 

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

You realize 99% of the time a QB goes top-3, they're going to a team that's nowhere near "built", right?  Unless the argument is never take a QB at the top of the draft, but if you do, make sure you're a good team first and then trade up?  And I was someone who wanted to hang onto Darnold, but it had nothing to do with thinking we still had other holes to fill or because I didn't like any of the 2021 QB prospects.  I still believed in Darnold, so I wanted to give him another year.

We were ready to compete in 2022, a year after we took our QB(maybe not win a SB, but we absolutely could have been a playoff team last year with a decent QB).  If we took the right guy, no one would have given a **** about us taking a QB a year early.  Waiting a year would have resulted in...what?  Us drafting Kenny Pickett in 2022 instead of Garrett Wilson?  That 2022 QB class was garbage.  At least the top prospects.  Maybe we would have lucked out with Purdy, but I highly doubt it.  Or do we bring in a stopgap and look to draft a QB in 2023?  With any decent veteran QB we probably would have been a playoff team in 2022-23, so unless you massively trade up(look at what CAR paid and then imagine what the cost would have been from pick 20), we probably would have been looking at Levis.  Not really sure if that would have been the scenario to put us over the top.  

Had we ended up picking #1 in 2021, would we be  having this conversation if we took Trevor Lawrence?  I highly doubt it. 

If we had #1 that year we have Doug Pederson or someone of his ilk, not Saleh. To me , that’s  even bigger than who the QB is. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Connor Hughes, Cimini, Rosenblatt: HI GUYS TAKING QUESTIONS FOR THE NEXT MAILBAG. ASK ME ANYTHING

Fan: Hey, what happened to Zach Wilson? Haven’t heard from him since he disappeared into the blue medical tent in Miami.

CH/RC/ZR: WHICH FREE AGENT TACKLES SHOULD THE JETS TARGET? I AM GLAD YOU ASKED!

Most protected player in league history. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People and teams AWAYS act as if this years crop of WBs is the last ever ad there will be no more good QBs.

Very often crops of great QBS are vastly overrated with 'generational' guys like lawrence being totally over valued.

Every single year one or more guys totally not on the radar the year before rise up to be hot prospects. (Anthiny richardson, jayden daniles zach wilson)

QB is so important you need to get it right so bid your time build the team and then go get your guy.

Sure, but in this case Douglas was correct because the next class of QBs was horrific.

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Most protected player in league history. 

That group text from Eric Allen must have been terrifying. Probably a screen shot of an unemployed Manish Mehta hosting a Jets-themed Spaces with 12 dudes in it, six of which were bots.

• Haha 1

Didn’t deserve its own thread, but another Gettleman gem—Kadarius Toney—went on Instagram to freak out about the Chiefs shutting him down. Remember, the University of Florida is among the finest and exclusive public colleges in all of Northern Florida. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t deserve its own thread, but another Gettleman gem—Kadarius Toney—went on Instagram to freak out about the Chiefs shutting him down. Remember, the University of Florida is among the finest and exclusive public colleges in all of Northern Florida. 

Addition by subtraction with Toney.

The more I think about this the more I’m like, we have Woody. Here’s what would have happened

1) We would have drafted Rosen

2) Woody can’t let go of his new toys and we would have kept him just as long as we kept Darnold

3) We would have drafted Zach Wilson number 2 overall