AppleTV series "Dynasty": New England Patriots

I had to take a big gulp before I decided to start watching this, but boy, am I glad that I did.

Only 4 episodes have dropped to this date, but I devoured all of them quickly. The story telling and the production is that good. Probably the best scripted football documentary I have witnessed. They are not there to just kiss the ring either.  Sure, ther is the usually heavy petting involved, but they do it in entertaining way with relevant story lines around those.

4 episodes in, and they just finished "spygate", so they are rumbling through. At that pace, it seems they should cover the current divorce. Sit downs with Brady, Belichick, Pioli, Ernie Adams among others.

Again, great story telling value. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

I watched the first two episodes only so far. It is good quality and certainly not a puff piece. The only thing I really forgot was how early in the season Bledsoe recovered from the Mo Lewis hit. I thought Bledsoe didn't recover until the playoffs had already started and the team didn't want to break the success they had all year. But Belichick really decided on Brady before Brady really did anything in any games and even had a horrible game against the Rams and still stuck with him when the whole country was calling him a dope for it.

If that didn't work out for Belichick the way it did, he would have absolutely been fired after 2001. I give him credit for sticking to his guns and believing that Brady was the guy. I don't agree with how Belichick communicated this to Bledsoe and treated him as he was always a good player and teammate but that's the scumbag yin to the genius yang of Belichick. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Glad you're enjoying it, but the 20 years between 2002-2022 were more than enough of brady, belichick, and the bullsh*t ballwashing for me. I can't think of anything on I'd have any less desire to watch. 

Right, and this was produced by Kraft's people. I'm sure it's really objective.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Right, and this was produced by Kraft's people. I'm sure it's really objective.

Didn't the ESPN article basically say it's a PR piece to get Kraft into the Hall of Fame? Maybe that was something else, but I distinctly remember that.

EDIT: Looked it up.

But when Brady saw a thicket of cameras around, more than for any Patriots game in memory, including cameras for an all-access documentary coming out in February -- which in the words of a Kraft confidant "is an infomercial" and "pitch for Robert to get into the Hall of Fame" -- he stopped. He didn't want to be used in that way. Instead they met in the hallways inside the stadium. A camera crew found them, and Brady asked for some space. He didn't want those conversations to be weaponized in any way.

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Didn't the ESPN article basically say it's a PR piece to get Kraft into the Hall of Fame? Maybe that was something else, but I distinctly remember that.

It's a documentary done in a clip and interview type fashion. There is no sound over commentary, like in Hard Knocks.

Geez, you guys watch Jet football on a weekly basis, not sure how a documentary will hurt you.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

It's a documentary done in a clip and interview type fashion. There is no sound over commentary, like in Hard Knocks.

Geez, you guys watch Jet football on a weekly basis, not sure how a documentary will hurt you.

People should spend their time however they see fit. I personally try to avoid spending time on things that actively irritate me. The idea that any Jets fan would want to dedicate like 6-8 hours of their life to a ball-washing documentary about the greatness of the Patriots is staggering to me. I lived through it and I'm glad it's over. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

People should spend their time however they see fit. I personally try to avoid spending time on things that actively irritate me. The idea that any Jets fan would want to dedicate like 6-8 hours of their life to a ball-washing documentary about the greatness of the Patriots is staggering to me. I lived through it and I'm glad it's over. 

Well, I have watched it and Adoni watched it, and we are both telling you it is NOT a puff piece. At least not through the first 4 episodes. They way they leave spygate told, the Patriots cheated, no doubt about that. 

Whatever. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Well, I have watched it and Adoni watched it, and we are both telling you it is NOT a puff piece. At least not through the first 4 episodes. They way they leave spygate told, the Patriots cheated, no doubt about that. 

Whatever. 

But when Brady saw a thicket of cameras around, more than for any Patriots game in memory, including cameras for an all-access documentary coming out in February -- which in the words of a Kraft confidant "is an infomercial" and "pitch for Robert to get into the Hall of Fame" -- he stopped. He didn't want to be used in that way. Instead they met in the hallways inside the stadium. A camera crew found them, and Brady asked for some space. He didn't want those conversations to be weaponized in any way.

Recognizing that they cheated -- which we all know they did -- doesn't really change the calculus for me.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Whatever. 

Additionally, they have multiple Patriots players saying that they knew the Tuck Rule was a fumble and even though it was based on a rule weren't really sure why it was even looked at that way and they were given a gift. 

I also enjoyed how Kraft seemingly doesn't like Belichick at all and really did not like the way he treated Bledsoe. I'm still only two episodes in, but really curious to see Kraft discuss spy gate

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

But when Brady saw a thicket of cameras around, more than for any Patriots game in memory, including cameras for an all-access documentary coming out in February -- which in the words of a Kraft confidant "is an infomercial" and "pitch for Robert to get into the Hall of Fame" -- he stopped. He didn't want to be used in that way. Instead they met in the hallways inside the stadium. A camera crew found them, and Brady asked for some space. He didn't want those conversations to be weaponized in any way.

Recognizing that they cheated -- which we all know they did -- doesn't really change the calculus for me.

AND, the documentary leaves you with the impression they DID cheat. Geez. 

I'd like to watch this but I don't have (nor do I intend to buy) AppleTV.  I find BB to be kind of fascinating, tbh.  I loved listening to him in that NFL 100th anniversary thing.   I root for him to lose and all that (and it was an all-time great moment watching him be as dejected as he was in the 18*-1 post-game SB interview!) but, tbh, I have a lot of respect for that SOB.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd like to watch this but I don't have (nor do I intend to buy) AppleTV.  I find BB to be kind of fascinating, tbh.  I loved listening to him in that NFL 100th anniversary thing.   I root for him to lose and all that (and it was an all-time great moment watching him be as dejected as he was in the 18*-1 post-game SB interview!) but, tbh, I have a lot of respect for that SOB.

They talk about grown men crying and throwing up in the locker room after that loss to the Giants. Majestic.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

They talk about grown men crying and throwing up in the locker room after that loss to the Giants. Majestic.

As the football historian that he is, you know that there was no game in his career he wanted more than that one.  So awesome he lost (and in such a painful way - LMAO!!!!)

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Whatever. 

And Deflategate?

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Like I said, they are only 4 episodes in, so deflategate has not been covered yet. Supposed to go heavily into that, as well the Aaron Hernandez murder. Unknown how they will cover it. 

"We TOLD him not to kill anyone"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

EDIT: Looked it up.

But when Brady saw a thicket of cameras around, more than for any Patriots game in memory, including cameras for an all-access documentary coming out in February -- which in the words of a Kraft confidant "is an infomercial" and "pitch for Robert to get into the Hall of Fame" -- he stopped. He didn't want to be used in that way. Instead they met in the hallways inside the stadium. A camera crew found them, and Brady asked for some space. He didn't want those conversations to be weaponized in any way.

BTW, the quote that you included here, has NOTHING to do with this series. That quote was made in 2021:

IN OCTOBER 2021, BRADY returned to New England as a member of the defending champion Buccaneers. Kraft and Belichick both had decided to let Brady go. No matter how much Kraft tried to distance himself from that decision, he approved it.

"He backed Bill," Brady told a friend at the time.

When Brady entered Gillette Stadium, he got a window into life in New England without him there. Kraft and Belichick coordinated to meet him shortly after he arrived. The field seemed like the best place, because one of Brady's rituals was to walk it before games. But when Brady saw a thicket of cameras around, more than for any Patriots game in memory, including cameras for an all-access documentary coming out in February -- which in the words of a Kraft confidant "is an infomercial" and "pitch for Robert to get into the Hall of Fame" -- he stopped. He didn't want to be used in that way. Instead they met in the hallways inside the stadium. A camera crew found them, and Brady asked for some space. He didn't want those conversations to be weaponized in any way.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

BTW, the quote that you included here, has NOTHING to do with this series. That quote was made in 2021:

IN OCTOBER 2021, BRADY returned to New England as a member of the defending champion Buccaneers. Kraft and Belichick both had decided to let Brady go. No matter how much Kraft tried to distance himself from that decision, he approved it.

"He backed Bill," Brady told a friend at the time.

When Brady entered Gillette Stadium, he got a window into life in New England without him there. Kraft and Belichick coordinated to meet him shortly after he arrived. The field seemed like the best place, because one of Brady's rituals was to walk it before games. But when Brady saw a thicket of cameras around, more than for any Patriots game in memory, including cameras for an all-access documentary coming out in February -- which in the words of a Kraft confidant "is an infomercial" and "pitch for Robert to get into the Hall of Fame" -- he stopped. He didn't want to be used in that way. Instead they met in the hallways inside the stadium. A camera crew found them, and Brady asked for some space. He didn't want those conversations to be weaponized in any way.

This article came out a month ago. You don’t think the “all access documentary” it refers to that comes out “in February” is the one you’re watching? Because it very clearly is.