Will JD mortgage the future in this year's draft?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think it's a slam dunk they are taking a QB next year either. Just that they realize the reality of being year-to-year with Rodgers at this point, and would surely like to keep their powder dry in case he fickly changes his mind, which would ultra-shock nobody (particularly if he - hopefully not - goes on IR early again). 

i hope they dont draft a QB next year or the year after. yeah draft one in the later rds (ex 3-5) but im done with the top QB prospects.

by that time the 2022 class will be on its last year or new contracts. i doubt they want to sign here with a rookie QB. when Rodgers is done just get the best FA QB. we got to stay competitive to keep these guys. we cant roll the dice on anymore 1st rd QBs. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

i hope they dont draft a QB next year or the year after. yeah draft one in the later rds (ex 3-5) but im done with the top QB prospects.

by that time the 2022 class will be on its last year or new contracts. i doubt they want to sign here with a rookie QB. when Rodgers is done just get the best FA QB. we got to stay competitive to keep these guys. we cant roll the dice on anymore 1st rd QBs. 

I don't know if this is the right way forward, but I wouldn't argue it given how long it's been since an average to above average NFL-level starting QB was drafted & developed by the Jets. Last one was Pennington 2000 and before him O'Brien '83? Man, what a sh*tshow. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

even trading next year's 2 is not mortgaging the future.  that would be what carolina did.  

Like I said, that's the most I can see him being allowed to trade.  But "mortgaging the future", no.  No way will they let a GM on the hot seat trade away future draft capital like that.