Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

Let’s say we draft Fuaga. I absolutely could see Warren the next man up if Smith got injured.
1. Warren has been here and knows the system.
2. Warren is a LT
3. Fuaga has never played LT
4. Fuaga has penalty concerns

It is absolutely not a given that if we drafted Fuaga that he’s next man up behind Smith.
At the risk of stating the obvious - next man up would be determined by how the guys show up in camp.

If Fuaga looks like a rookie in over his head, and Warren builds on his experience from last year, it'll be Warren. If Fuaga comes in and looks like he's done this all his life, and Warren struggles, it'll be Fuaga.

Remember how certain we all were last year that Mitchell was "the guy"?

Nothing will be decided until Aug / Sept.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

At the risk of stating the obvious - next man up would be determined by how the guys show up in camp.

If Fuaga looks like a rookie in over his head, and Warren builds on his experience from last year, it'll be Warren. If Fuaga comes in and looks like he's done this all his life, and Warren struggles, it'll be Fuaga.

Remember how certain we all were last year that Mitchell was "the guy"?

Nothing will be decided until Aug / Sept.

Obviously. My point is merely that Fuaga used an example has never played LT. So it’d be optimistic to think he’d beat out Warren at LT backup. For backup RT absolutely I’d give him the leg up on Warren bc that’s his natural position. But isn’t the main point for drafting OT this early even though they’re a backup bc if our alts health concerns?

I feel like a ton haven’t done research on Moses to know he’s arguably the most durable OT in the NFL. So drafting a OT is strictly almost as a backup to Smith

Obviously. My point is merely that Fuaga used an example has never played LT. So it’d be optimistic to think he’d beat out Warren at LT backup. For backup RT absolutely I’d give him the leg up on Warren bc that’s his natural position. But isn’t the main point for drafting OT this early even though they’re a backup bc if our alts health concerns?
I feel like a ton haven’t done research on Moses to know he’s arguably the most durable OT in the NFL. So drafting a OT is strictly almost as a backup to Smith
For the coming year, yes I agree. But I'm not buying that JD is only interested in quick wins and isn't looking ahead. And by next year he will very likely need to replace both OTs (and potentially his #2 WR). So to me, he'll take the best player who can fill one of those two spots, and if there is upside in one player to potentially fill the more valuable spot in year two then that's an added bonus.

9 minutes ago, jamesr said:

For the coming year, yes I agree. But I'm not buying that JD is only interested in quick wins and isn't looking ahead. And by next year he will very likely need to replace both OTs (and potentially his #2 WR). So to me, he'll take the best player who can fill one of those two spots, and if there is upside in one player to potentially fill the more valuable spot in year two then that's an added bonus.

Conklin is up after this year I believe too 😉 

Conklin is up after this year I believe too  
Good point. Whether they reckon Ruckert can step up and be the #1 guy or not will be a factor. Also whether they reckon that position is worthy of a Round 1 pick - even with a generational unicorn available.

17 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Good point. Whether they reckon Ruckert can step up and be the #1 guy or not will be a factor. Also whether they reckon that position is worthy of a Round 1 pick - even with a generational unicorn available. emoji6.png

Didn’t we almost draft Meyer last year? Just thought 15 was too high for him? And he was a shell of the talent Bowers is. So clearly we value the position.

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Didn’t we almost draft Meyer last year? Just thought 15 was too high for him? And he was a shell of the talent Bowers is. So clearly we value the position.

I don't recall if that was "official" or just a rumor.

Only a few more days till we find out how much they do value the position. :-)