Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

On 4/14/2024 at 7:28 PM, jetblue95 said:

again, fine numbers for a TE

not worth the #10 pick in the draft

Who at 10, provided the top WRs are gone is going to push 1,000 yards from a TE, one who also does the usual TE things is going to provide more to this team? 

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:43 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

He’s not known as a very good blocker that’s a fact.  

Actually him not being a very good blocker is nowhere close to being a fact

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who at 10, provided the top WRs are gone is going to push 1,000 yards from a TE, one who also does the usual TE things is going to provide more to this team? 

didn't realize the only options were to draft a TE at #10

and "pushing 1000 yards" means being among the 2 or 3 best TEs in the league, because very few outside of kelce do that regularly

preference would be to draft a WR or trade down.  short of that, probably to take the best available offensive lineman or possibly even a QB depending on how the top 10 shake out.  i can't pretend to know enough about the various lineman to hazard a guess, although good chance his last name starts with an F 😁

and yeah, finding a long-term starting tackle (and probably someone who will start multiple games in 2024) could provide a lot to the team.   even if he doesn't "push 1000 yards"

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

didn't realize the only options were to draft a TE at #10

and "pushing 1000 yards" means being among the 2 or 3 best TEs in the league, because very few outside of kelce do that regularly

preference would be to draft a WR or trade down.  short of that, probably to take the best available offensive lineman or possibly even a QB depending on how the top 10 shake out.  i can't pretend to know enough about the various lineman to hazard a guess, although good chance his last name starts with an F 😁

and yeah, finding a long-term starting tackle (and probably someone who will start multiple games in 2024) could provide a lot to the team.   even if he doesn't "push 1000 yards"

I responded to a post claiming he’d only get 60 yards per game, that’s over 1,000 yards per season, don’t give me the grief for those numbers, I didn’t come up with them, they were given to me.

And no, I didn’t say TE is the only option at 10.  But I also am not the one claiming they’d take Odunze as if he’ll be there along with Bowers.  I clearly asked, who’s giving more return from the 10th pick of the top WRs and top couple of OL are gone?  
Don’t blame me if you can’t come up with an answer to that question.  Also don’t tell me a T who may play a couple of games makes makes a 1,000 yard TE a lousy pick at 10

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Another scenario is Bowers at 10, take a tackle on day  2 or 3 and sign a veteran tackle the day after the draft.

or

Draft Bowers at 10 and use 2024 and 2025 picks to deal for second rounder and use that on a tackle with guard flexibility.

Ugh, I REALLY hate the idea of this regime (JD/Saleh/Rodgers) selling the future for the now, especially given how short-time these three are if 2024 doesn't work out perfectly.

49 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Just went back to check every final mock he had those years.  It's true.  Get ready for Brock unless a team does something unexpected.

Unexpected like maybe Odunze getting picked before Nabers by the Cardinals in Peter Schragers Mock and we go get Nabers at 8, as Nania speculated today... Or....  has Pete guessed right on our pick once again

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ugh, I REALLY hate the idea of this regime (JD/Saleh/Rodgers) selling the future for the now, especially given how short-time these three are if 2024 doesn't work out perfectly.

The short-time is why they'll be planning for now and not the future.

As I just heard former GM Rick Spielman say when asked if they could/should select Bowers "Yeah, this team is all-in with the moves they've made.  There's a lot of risky moves so this team is planning for now and not the future"

This is why I'm so adamant about the pick being Bowers.  Taking any player who you're hoping does not see the field isn't the move when your QB is 41 and you're getting fired if you don't win now.  Especially in a deep class in which you may get a player this year who is as as good as the one you might get with your 1 next season.

Using future picks to get more picks this year would also align with that approach.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Stick to defending zach

It’s cute how you recite this like a parrot whenever you can’t come up with an answer that sounds smart and is on point.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

So bowers is already a 1,000 yard TE?

Again, someone gave me the yardage totals.  Not my prediction

You need to learn how this whole thread thing works.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s cute how you recite that like a parrot whenever you can’t come up with an answer that sounds smart and is on point.

Is there anything this organization can do to make you ever disagree with them?  14 years 0 playoff appearances, 1 season better than .500 and worst record in the entire nfl during that time span what is the 4 dimensional chess Woody is doing that I’m not noticing?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The short-time is why they'll be planning for now and not the future.

As I just heard former GM Rick Spielman say when asked if they could/should select Bowers "Yeah, this team is all-in with the moves they've made.  There's a lot of risky moves so this team is planning for now and not the future"

This is why I'm so adamant about the pick being Bowers.  Taking any player who you're hoping does not see the field isn't the move when your QB is 41 and you're getting fired if you don't win now.  Especially in a deep class in which you may get a player this year who is as as good as the one you might get with your 1 next season.

Using future picks to get more picks this year would also align with that approach.  

That kind of bill always comes due. Sure, we win a Super Bowl, it’s worth it. If not…..

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

Unexpected like maybe Odunze getting picked before Nabers by the Cardinals in Peter Schragers Mock and we go get Nabers at 8, as Nania speculated today... Or....  has Pete guessed right on our pick once again

If the board falls that way, there's a chance Indy will trade up for Bowers.  Rumor is that they want him.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That kind of bill always comes due. Sure, we win a Super Bowl, it’s worth it. If not…..

Which they believe they have 1-2 year window to do.

And if you land a starting OT with the pick you obtain for a future pick then the bill pays for itself.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

When the debate over a Jets top ten pick gets to that “but he’s a pretty good blocker actually” phase.

Dodo Ennui GIF

It feels like we need 4 1st round picks (and to hit on them) every year in order to fill the holes this team has.  We could use 2 OL, a WR and a QB (for the pipeline). 

We could also use another WR and TE (for the pipeline) on top of that.  

• Upvote 1

Douglas likes to take swings with the first pick (high risk high reward) so I could see the possibility of Bowers but JD is not predictable. So the fact that everyone is predicting this one makes me think we go another direction. 

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It feels like we need 4 1st round picks (and to hit on them) every year in order to fill the holes this team has.  We could use 2 OL, a WR and a QB (for the pipeline). 

We could also use another WR and TE (for the pipeline) on top of that.  

The TE room is fine, imo. Between Ruckert and Conklin, you’ll get 800 yards, 6-10 TDs, which is what Bowers would optimistically give us. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

The TE room is fine, imo. Between Ruckert and Conklin, you’ll get 800 yards, 6-10 TDs, which is what Bowers would optimistically give us. 

Isn't Conklin on the last year of his deal?  Ruckert is a terrific blocker but he hasn't done much in the passing game.

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Isn't Conklin on the last year of his deal?  Ruckert is a terrific blocker but he hasn't done much in the passing game.

Ruckert’s also constantly banged up going back to his OSU days.

The Jets could very well be right back to having a giant black hole at TE after this year just like we had for the previous 30+.

Everyone can cry about positional value in 2026 when we’re back to some sh*tbrained goof who can’t throw a football behind center.

For 2024 and 2025 the Jets are the very definition of “all in” and I want as many offensive playmakers as I can get. Regardless of whatever position or label you want to attach to them.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach Wilson. 

GW (95 rec 1042 yds), Conklin (61 rec 621 yds) and Breece (76 rec 591 yds) did just fine.  It's almost as if we had a punt returner as our WR2 and a horrific OL.

Oh, and a moronic CS that had an OC who was rumored to be putting in 18 hour weeks.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

GW (95 rec 1042 yds), Conklin (61 rec 621 yds) and Breece (76 rec 591 yds) did just fine.  It's almost as if we had a punt returner as our WR2 and a horrific OL.

Jets were last in passer rating, TD passes total, third to last in passing yards, second to last in YPA, second to last in completion percentage, second to last in first down percentage. 

Strengths:

- Athletic and versatile tight end that can operate from anywhere on the field. Bowers athleticism allows him to line up in the slot, in the backfield or on the line of scrimmage. 

- Presence on the field will open up opportunities on offense for other playmakers. 

- Explosive athlete in the open field who does a good job of operating in space. 

- Excels at stretching defenses vertically and making defenders account for his every step. 

- Powerful blocker at the point of attack, especially as a run blocker. 

- Shows impressive ball tracking skills, using his frame to win contested catches against physical defensive backs. 

- Understands how to create leverage and play with body control. 

Weaknesses:

- Needs to improve at running his route tree. While Bowers is a solid route runner, this is an area of his game that needs some refinement if he wants to take another step forward. 

- Considering he spent so much time in the slot, Bowers may need to adjust to having his hand in the dirt at the next level. This, of course, does depends on where he gets drafted and how his offensive coordinator decides to use him. 

- Hand size will be an issue for teams. At the scouting combine, Bowers hands measured out at 9 3/4’’, coming in smaller than Kyle Pitts and Sam LaPorta. While this will not impact his draft stock in any significant fashion, it is still noteworthy because he is often grouped with both players when mentioning top tight ends drafted dating back to 2021.