Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

Brock-Bowers-II.jpg

We’ll know exactly what the New York Jets plan on doing with the tenth overall pick in the NFL draft two weeks from today, but as of now it seems the forecasters and prognosticators have a favorite pairing in Georgia tight end Brock Bowers.

In their latest mock drafts, Mel Kiper of ESPN and Shrine Bowl director Eric Galko both project Bowers to the Jets at 10.  In addition to Kiper and Galko, former Vikings GM Rick Spielman lists Bowers as his top tight end in this class and says his ideal fit would be to the Jets with pick number ten.

In the above episode of JetNation Live we discuss the Bowers projections and some possible day 3 or undrafted options at QB.

The post Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Brock Bowers is the best athlete in this class.

JetNation can't handle this because of the "TE" before his name and because he's 3/4 inch shorter than other players who have "TE" before their names.

Agree with the "TE" designation being a major issue. If he was designated a "WR", people might view him differently.

• Upvote 3

I would very much like Bowers as the 10th overall pick for the Jets.  They have not had a great TE since Mickey Shuler.  I respect the argument that 1st round TE's don't traditionally generate as much production as 1st round WR's, but Bowers appears to be "special".  We also know that JD loves to draft prospects that he describes as "freaks".  Bowers seems to fit the "freak" category.  

Also need to point out.  Those that are saying that Bowers is an H back and he cant block have not watched any of his tape/film.  He can block and is very good at it.  Not just chip.  He can hang with premium edge rushers.  His technique is very good and he is massively strong.  

He gets lots of yardage after the catch and he can be used ANYWHERE on the field.  Just outside of the OT, slot, seem, in a bunch and even on the flank.  He would also be ideal if they want to run any RPO stuff.  

Added bonus is intangibles.  Full on competitor, character guy and plenty of football smarts.  

Jets would be lucky to have him.

Before the draft even shaped up with all the late risers and BS talk, I had him rated as the third best overall talent/prospect in the draft and I still do. 

Alt

MHJ

Bowers

Those guys are all special.  

I want Bowers over Nabers or Odunze

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Most WRs catch more than 52% of their passes beyond the LOS. Most TEs, too, quite frankly. 

This only matters if it was all he's capable of doing.  Just because Georgia used him a certain way doesn't mean he can't be used in other ways.  And if you watch enough of him you'll see that he can work down the field.

Also important to note that Aaron Rodgers throws roughly 60 percent of his pass at or around the line of scrimmage.  Rodgers and Bowers are actually a perfect pairing given their respective skill sets.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

This only matters if it was all he's capable of doing.  Just because Georgia used him a certain way doesn't mean he can't be used in other ways.  And if you watch enough of him you'll see that he can work down the field.

Also important to note that Aaron Rodgers throws roughly 60 percent of his pass at or around the line of scrimmage.  Rodgers and Bowers are actually a perfect pairing given their respective skill sets.

And yet they felt the best way to use him nearly half the time was to get the ball to him uncontested behind the LOS. I don’t think Bowers will be dominating the screen game in the pros, but I do think that Breece Hall can and will. Why draft a player to take opportunities away from a better alternative? Bowers was used the least in the 0-9 yards from scrimmage area, which is exactly where your TE/big slot should be not only effective but dominant. 

Again, I’ll be surprised if he’s the pick. I think he’s gonna wind up going a bit lower than he’s generally projected. NFL GMs care about positional value even if the fans don’t. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slats said:

And yet they felt the best way to use him nearly half the time was to get the ball to him uncontested behind the LOS. I don’t think Bowers will be dominating the screen game in the pros, but I do think that Breece Hall can and will. Why draft a player to take opportunities away from a better alternative? Bowers was used the least in the 0-9 yards from scrimmage area, which is exactly where your TE/big slot should be not only effective but dominant. 

Again, I’ll be surprised if he’s the pick. I think he’s gonna wind up going a bit lower than he’s generally projected. NFL GMs care about positional value even if the fans don’t. 

Who's lining up at running back if you're moving Breece to WR 60 percent of the time?

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Who's lining up at running back if you're moving Breece to WR 60 percent of the time?

I’m not moving him, but he’ll be top three in targets on this team from the RB position - whether he slides out once in a while or not. 

Edit: Breece’s 591 receiving yards last year would’ve been good enough to be the 15th leading receiving TE in the league last year between Goedert and Jonnu Smith, a couple spots back from Tyler Conklin. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not moving him, but he’ll be top three in targets on this team from the RB position - whether he slides out once in a while or not. 

If Breece is on the field with Garrett, Brock and Williams and a healthy Rodgers, this is an unstoppable offense.

If you pass on Brock to draft a backup OT and move Breece outside for whoever RB2 ends up being, it's not nearly as desirable.

JMO...can't wait for this draft to get here and get over with.

• Upvote 4

Just now, slats said:

Yeah -talk about can’t wait!- I can’t wait for this narrative to be done. If the Jets take an OL at #10 overall, there’s very little reason to believe he wouldn’t be able to overtake Moses at RT or Simpson at LG in training camp, especially given that Moses probably won’t even be ready for camp. 

But my preference would be Odunze, who’d be far more frightening to opposing defenses on the field with Wilson, Williams, and Breece than Bowers could ever be. I could almost get on board if Bowers was a full-sized Gronk-like TE who just dominates inside physically. This is a player whose college teams purposely felt the need to keep out of that underneath area where dominant TEs tend to thrive. 

I think douglas may have been more inclined to take a guy like bowers if he wasn’t where he is in his jet career.  Taking an OT in round 1/wr round 3 is far better than the reverse.  They can even possibly trade up for a wr they like in late 2 for not that much draft capital.  Funny that all this debate for when they ultimately take a guy like fuaga and some wr in round 3 who is just decent.  

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Serious question....if Bowers is this unbelievable player, top 5 in this draft, why in the heck does anyone think he will be there at 10?

Despite what many execs say publicly, need also plays a role in draft day decisions.  Lots of QB's will likely push Bowers down along with MHJ and Malik Nabers.

Had a shot to go fifth until the Chargers dumped their top two WR's.  They've also made it clear that their goal is to run the ball a lot more which means a mauler at OT makes more sense for them

11 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I want the best football player, not the best athlete.

He was deployed mostly on screens and quick hitters in college where he never had to face press coverage or really “win” on routes.

He was left wide open most of the time.

On plays where he was actually manned up against somebody halfway decent and having to run an actual route, I see him losing.

I watched every touch and target from his 2023 season and on contested balls, he loses more than he wins.

Bowers’ brilliance in college was mostly after the catch.

He’s a faster version of Aaron Hernandez IMO but not as sturdily built.

This is an interesting analysis, but I am not 100% sure that it doesn't support the Jets taking him.   Who are the "halfway decent" guys manning him up?  Presumably these are corners or cover safeties.  To the extent the Jets can get more of those guys on the field I assume that it will help Breece Hall.  I don't think that most teams are sporting a TE that requires quality press man coverage.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He was deployed mostly on screens and quick hitters in college where he never had to face press coverage or really “win” on routes.

On plays where he was actually manned up against somebody halfway decent and having to run an actual route, I see him losing.

I watched every touch and target from his 2023 season and on contested balls, he loses more than he wins.

you may not love him but he's legit, he wins from everywhere, there's plenty of throws on you tube where he's run a nice route and catches the ball 11-20 yrs downfield.  and even though he's considered undersized for a typical TE he's still large and a matchup problem for cbs and lbs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is an interesting analysis, but I am not 100% sure that it doesn't support the Jets taking him.   Who are the "halfway decent" guys manning him up?  Presumably these are corners or cover safeties.  To the extent the Jets can get more of those guys on the field I assume that it will help Breece Hall.  I don't think that most teams are sporting at TE that requires quality press man coverage.   

IDK, IDK names of the defenders who were able to successfully cover him off the top of my head.

But I did watch every target and touch from 2023 and pretty much everything is a screen or quick hitter or wheel route.

You see the occasional in breaking route or other stuff downfield where there’s a defensive breakdown and he’s completely unaccounted for.

IDK, I  have no reason to be biased against Bowers.  

Just reacting honestly based on what I see.

He looks dynamic after the catch but I think it’s a stretch to assume he can step in and dominate lining up as a WR.

The big-3 WRs are real WRs.

• Upvote 4

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

IDK, IDK names of the defenders who were able to successfully cover him off the top of my head.

But I did watch every target and touch from 2023 and pretty much everything is a screen or quick hitter or wheel route.

You see the occasional in breaking route or other stuff downfield where there’s a defensive breakdown and he’s completely unaccounted for.

IDK, I  have no reason to be biased against Bowers.  

Just reacting honestly based on what I see.

He looks dynamic after the catch but I think it’s a stretch to assume he can step in and dominate lining up as a WR.

The big-3 WRs are real WRs.

That's fair.  @slats posted up some usage stats that would be cause for concern.  I like what I have read about the big 3 WRs better.  I think those guys will be gone.  At that point you are talking about Thomas, Franklin, Worthy and Mitchell.  Those guys give me more concern. 

Bowers is a nice prospect and I'm sure he will be a good player but it's not the direction the Jets should go....

Kittle (5th round), Kelce (3rd round), (LaPorta 2nd round), (Andrews 3rd round), (Hockenson 1st round 8th Pick). You can find a good TE later in the draft, you don't need to spend a premium top 10 pick. Give me the OT or WR, both are more valued positions than TE. Conklin is a good enough TE who had a career year last year despite poor QB play, hopefully Joe D upgrades another area of the roster.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, GangGreeninBetween said:

Bowers is a nice prospect and I'm sure he will be a good player but it's not the direction the Jets should go....

Kittle (5th round), Kelce (3rd round), (LaPorta 2nd round), (Andrews 3rd round), (Hockenson 1st round 8th Pick). You can find a good TE later in the draft, you don't need to spend a premium top 10 pick. Give me the OT or WR, both are more valued positions than TE. Conklin is a good enough TE who had a career year last year despite poor QB play, hopefully Joe D upgrades another area of the roster.

We can find examples of busts and late round players having success at every single position.  Why treat it as if Bowers is the exception?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I find it more likely that you read Michael Nania's article on Jets X-Factor than it is that you've watched every snap of 2023, but who the knows, maybe you did. Anyway - the good news for you is this: not only is Bowers the best athlete in this draft, he's also the best football player in the draft and has three years of production in the SEC to prove it.

Bowers was deployed mostly on screens and quick hitters because it was clear to everyone in the state of Georgia (including their coaches) that Brock Bowers was the best player on the planet and that getting the football into his hands (HOWEVER POSSIBLE) was a pretty brilliant game plan and an easy way to win on offense. 

There are three seasons' worth of plays he made down the field, but you're only interested in the % of plays that were downfield? That's beyond silly. You want college coaches having Bowers' running zig routes hoping that their offensive line can protect the QB who then has to complete a pass down the field -- for what exactly?

To prove to the faux NFL scouts of Bowers' ability to make plays down the field?  

It's much easier for coaches to toss Bowers the ball and let him run through defenders than it is to draw up downfield passes 75% of the time. Football should never be more complicated than it has to be. Kudos to the coaches at Georgia for understanding this and for finding easy and creative ways to get the ball in Bowers' hands. And kudos to Bowers' for carrying that offense. 

The only people who don't seem to understand this are a few NFL scouts and fans who consistently sound like they don't know understand what they're watching when talking about Bowers.

And to your commentary:

"Bowers briliance in college was mostly after the catch."
"He's a faster version of Aaron Hernandez"

What exactly are these comments, because it sure as hell doesn't sound like criticism....right?

I can only imagine what your criticisms of Derrick Henry or Tyreek Hill would be? For Henry, it'd be something like, "He's not nimble and isn't going to be a threat down the field as a pass catcher" and for Tyreek it'd be "can't win on slants and is one-trick pony who won't help in the run game."

What in god's name are we doing?

Bowers' has a skill-set that is rare in the NFL. For the 100000000th time, he is not a traditional tight end who is going to run down the field 80% of the time. So please stop comparing him to other tight ends. It's lazy and stupid. He's a playmaker on offense and the game plan when he's on the field is pretty f*cking simple: GET HIM THE BALL HOWEVER POSSIBLE.

Who cares how or where Bowers' plays on the field, so long as he gets you yards and TDs efficiently? Everyone is making this more complicated than it has to be.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

If Breece is on the field with Garrett, Brock and Williams and a healthy Rodgers, this is an unstoppable offense.

If you pass on Brock to draft a backup OT and move Breece outside for whoever RB2 ends up being, it's not nearly as desirable.

JMO...can't wait for this draft to get here and get over with.

not if Rodgers is on his back most of the time.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd be fine with taking Bowers but like you've said I do worry about Hackett not using him well. 

Tyler Conklin caught 61 passes in this offense with arena league QBs. 

• Upvote 3