Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets were last in passer rating, TD passes total, third to last in passing yards, second to last in YPA, second to last in completion percentage, second to last in first down percentage. 

We had a bottom tier OL and a bottom tier group of WRs behind GW.  And a bottom tier OC.

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

How many TDs does Tyler Conklin have for his 6 year career?

4 years of were with Minn.

7. Kittle averages a little over five TDs per season. Hockenson averages less than four. Kyle Pitts had six in three years. Tight ends are complementary players, particularly in the red zone. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I responded to a post claiming he’d only get 60 yards per game, that’s over 1,000 yards per season, don’t give me the grief for those numbers, I didn’t come up with them, they were given to me.

And no, I didn’t say TE is the only option at 10.  But I also am not the one claiming they’d take Odunze as if he’ll be there along with Bowers.  I clearly asked, who’s giving more return from the 10th pick of the top WRs and top couple of OL are gone?  
Don’t blame me if you can’t come up with an answer to that question.  Also don’t tell me a T who may play a couple of games makes makes a 1,000 yard TE a lousy pick at 10

again, assuming a TE gets 1,000 yards a year is a big expectation.  that makes them one of the 2 or 3 best TEs in the league.  last year only 1 TE cleared 1,000 yards.  the year before, only 1 TE cleared 1,000 yards.  the year before, 2 TEs got over 1,000 yards.  the year before, 2 did it.  and one of those TEs is a future 1st ballot hall of famer in kelce.

i'm not exactly sure what the question you are asking.  i don't buy the theory that bowers is an automatic 1,000 a year TE, so not sure i accept the premise.  my preference is to take a WR or trade down if possible.  depending on how the draft falls, i would consider one of the top 4 QBs if one is there at 10 (not likely).  at that point, i'd probably look to a tackle, but i can't say i'm in any position to pick which one.  i think a tackle is a better long-term investment at 10 than a TE, and there very well could be a need for a tackle this year given the age/injury status of the veteran OTs brought in.  not sure how you measure a "return" on a tackle vs. yardage or some other statistical measure that a WR or TE would put up.  

• WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

7. Kittle averages a little over five TDs per season. Hockenson averages less than four. Kyle Pitts had six in three years. Tight ends are complementary players, particularly in the red zone. 

So if Conklin only has 7 TDs for his career, why do you expect the duo of Conklin and Ruckert to give this team 6-8 TDs next year? 

As I written before, Conklin is average at best.

Just now, Claymation said:

So if Conklin only has 7 TDs for his career, why do you expect the duo of Conklin and Ruckert to give this team 6-8 TDs next year? 

As I written before, Conklin is average at best.

Exponentially improved QB play, better WR2, Conklin gets four TDs and Ruckert gets two or three. Conklin is average for sure, but even an average TE posted 600 yards in a league-worst passing game. Overall point is that what we’d want Bowers to do over what Conklin and Ruckert could give would have to be an historic TE season. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Which they believe they have 1-2 year window to do.

And if you land a starting OT with the pick you obtain for a future pick then the bill pays for itself.

It's so simple, and cost free it seems, one wonder why everyone doesn't go "all in" this way every year.

Never mind, rhetorical question.

I can’t go tight end at 10. Not this one at least. He’s a big slot who needs to be schemed open within 5 yards of the LOS it looks like. How is Bowers getting this much hype? What is this is. And he didnt test at all?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I can’t go tight end at 10. Not this one at least. He’s a big slot who needs to be schemed open within 5 yards of the LOS it looks like. How is Bowers getting this much hype? What is this is. And he didnt test at all?

Been nursing an injury for five months. He’ll fit right in. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

The Jets cant afford to F this pick up.

Play it safe and trade up for 1 of the top 3 wide receivers. Period. 

There’s practically no chance Tucker, Moses and Smith all stay healthy so I think you stay boring and go tackle unless Odunze is there. Brian Thomas would be the sleeper I guess. I also think McCafrey is going to be a top 5 receiver in the class. Not sure if he gets to round 3 though. 

• Upvote 1

Ahhh yes Brock Bowers paired with the offensive ingenuity and creativity of Nathaniel Hackett?? Pass. Our OL is talented but also entirely made of glass and they play on the worst surface in the league. When 1 of them inevitably misses time the current backup options are Mitchell/Warren and Schweitzer…. All of which are unacceptable in this type of season. We’ve had a sexy off-season it’s time to be boring, draft an OL at 10 and be done with it 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Barton said:

The Jets cant afford to F this pick up.

Play it safe and trade up for 1 of the top 3 wide receivers. Period. 

If Atlanta puts the 8 pick up for sale and Douglas sits on his hands, he better hope it’s the Raiders or Denver coming up for a QB. But if the Colts beat him to Odunze or Nabers, he should start packing his bags

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 2

19 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Ahhh yes Brock Bowers paired with the offensive ingenuity and creativity of Nathaniel Hackett?? Pass. Our OL is talented but also entirely made of glass and they play on the worst surface in the league. When 1 of them inevitably misses time the current backup options are Mitchell/Warren and Schweitzer…. All of which are unacceptable in this type of season. We’ve had a sexy off-season it’s time to be boring, draft an OL at 10 and be done with it 

Bowers' idiot-proofs this offense the same way Breece Hall does. Just get the ball in his hands and get out of the way. Even Hackett can't f*ck that up.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Is there anything this organization can do to make you ever disagree with them?  14 years 0 playoff appearances, 1 season better than .500 and worst record in the entire nfl during that time span what is the 4 dimensional chess Woody is doing that I’m not noticing?

Cute, you’re doubling down.  

Whatever I am, I’m not a troll like you with multiple trashed accounts.  
You don’t like the way I post, put me on ignore and stop responding.  
Not like youre answering anything on point.  Twice I had to ask you to recognize that I was responding to someone else who predicted 1,000 yards for BB but you’re not capable of thought and would rather somehow call me a homer.  I answer someone’s post, you can’t keep up and then complain.  🤡

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Bowers' idiot-proofs this offense the same way Breece Hall does. Just get the ball in his hands and get out of the way. Even Hackett can't f*ck that up.

Yet he did. He had no idea breece could catch until week 15. 

Idiot proof? I think you underestimate our idiot in charge, sir.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's so simple, and cost free it seems, one wonder why everyone doesn't go "all in" this way every year.

Never mind, rhetorical question.

Do you really not understand the situation?  It's not very complex.  I know Spielman is a former GM with over 30 years of experience but I'm just a dopey blogger and I've been saying the same thing for a couple of months now.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

This is all smoke so someone can jump ahead and take Bowers. Pushing a WR down to us. Masterclass. 

My speculative bullsh*t-o-rama on it: Chargers, Arizona, Atlanta and maybe the Pats are all comfortable with/looking to trade down, and dropping to ten or 11 (Minnesota) still allows them to get a premium prospect. Douglas at least has to pretend to be happy to take Bowers at ten in order to maintain an iota of leverage. 

Like Harrison, Bowers participated in the basics at the combine but stopped short of running a 40, testing or working out. One week later, he weighed in once more at the Georgia pro day but didn’t participate because of what the Falcons’ staffer directing the event noted was an “injured right hamstring.”

On April 10, about four weeks after his injury, Bowers got on the scale at the start of a three-player workout for assembled scouts. Then he performed positional drills but again refused the 40, the jumps and the shuttles.

“I think he’s hiding,” said one personnel man. “Now the people that love him will go, ‘Oh, no, it’s OK.’ I don’t think he would have worked out well. I don’t think he can run. I think he’d run 4.8.”

His estimation was at one end of the spectrum among the six scouts that offered their educated guesses on Bowers’ time. Others said 4.65, 4.53, “low to mid 4.6s,” 4.55 and 4.64.

“They (Georgia officials) claim he’ll run in the 4.4s but it wouldn’t shock me … if he only ran 4.5,” an AFC executive said. “I think people would be a little underwhelmed even though that’s still really good for what he is. I think he’s just trying to avoid the letdown and just keep his perfect resume he’s put on tape.”

BROCK BOWERS, Georgia (6-3, 241, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. “Thing that’s interesting about him is this is not a Rob Gronkowski (6-6, 260, 4.67), Travis Kelce (6-5, 257, 4.63) body,” said one scout. “This is almost like a fullback body. If you draft him and play him just as a pure tight end, you’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to go hammer those 260-pound defensive end and outside backers in the run game. And it’s not like he’s going to go out-jump some of these defensive backs for the ball. He really didn’t make a ton of plays like that. Most of his plays are run after catch. He’s excellent with the ball in his hand. That whole offense ran through Bowers. Outside, inside, motion, slot, backfield. They schemed him up and they’d get the ball to him quickly in the flat. He’d turn up, break the tackle and go for 18 more yards. (Fit) will be a real key to his success.” A second scout equated Bowers’ work after the catch to Harrison’s. “If he catches it on the run, he’s a mother------,” he said. “If the dude from Iowa (Sam LaPorta) can do what he did this year there’s no reason Brock can’t do that or even more. Now is that worth a top-10 pick? He might end up falling because he’s not a three-down player. You’ve got to limit his reps and use him as a true ‘U.’ Keep him on the back side to come across in motion and whack guys. He’s not a point-of-attack player. He’s not as athletic as (Kyle) Pitts getting in and out of breaks. He doesn’t have that basketball uniqueness. But he’s got length (32 ¾-inch arms) and rare ball skills.” Finished with 175 catches for 2,538 (14.5) and 26 TDs. “He’s just a quiet guy,” a third scout said. “Keeps to himself. Does the right thing. Always on time.” From Napa, Calif.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Exponentially improved QB play, better WR2, Conklin gets four TDs and Ruckert gets two or three. Conklin is average for sure, but even an average TE posted 600 yards in a league-worst passing game. Overall point is that what we’d want Bowers to do over what Conklin and Ruckert could give would have to be an historic TE season. 

Conklin played with Cousins. You can make the argument he is a top 10 QB. So…

image.gif.6f527e0d5c7ee085ace93d89babdff6e.gif

Bowers put up staggering numbers with Zachesque type of play out of the QB position in Georgia. Nabers had Daniels and Odunze had Penix I wonder what their production would have been if they had Beck or McCord throwinh them the ball.

Imagine what Bowers could do with Aaron tossing the ball to him. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Conklin played with Cousins. You can make the argument he is a top 10 QB. So…

image.gif.6f527e0d5c7ee085ace93d89babdff6e.gif

Bowers put up staggering numbers with Zachesque type of play out of the QB position in Georgia. Nabers had Daniels and Odunze had Penix I wonder what their production would have been if they had Beck or McCord throwinh them the ball.

Imagine what Bowers could do with Aaron tossing the ball to him. 

Also how about how Conklin's last year stats might be inflated bc Lazard busted and he was our top receiving option besides GW and Hall out of the backfield. And being a team that played from behind quite a bit. We did have to throw a decent amount. I doubt with a healthy Rodgers and GW and MW on the field Conklin would be used as much as his stats would appear last year. He's not exactly a guy you're trying to for sure get the ball in his hands 5-10 times a game.

Bowers would be that. He likely would not only be getting a good chunk of traditional TE targets but also slot WR touched being he'd be our 3rd most talented receiving option.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

Bowers put up staggering numbers with Zachesque type of play out of the QB position in Georg

Carson Beck will be a top ten pick next year and Stetson Bennett was a Heisman finalist! Zach Wilson isn’t the best QB in the Zach Wilson household!

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

amount. I doubt with a healthy Rodgers and GW and MW on the field Conklin would be used as much as his stats would appear last year. He's not exactly a guy you're trying to for sure get the ball in his hands 5-10 times a game.

Whaaaat if they’re going to be giving the TE slot fewer targets, then why spend #10 on a tight end, particularly if the plan is play him as a Y TE? He’ll get killed as a traditional inline guy. He’s prematurely balding. There’s not much left in that tank. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Carson Beck will be a top ten pick next year and Stetson Bennett was a Heisman finalist! Zach Wilson isn’t the best QB in the Zach Wilson household!

The Bulldogs likely “protected” Beck early in the season for a multitude of reasons. For starters, Beck had never made a collegiate start before the 2023 season and had little game experience in college football games. Another reason for the “protection” of Beck in 2022 was the Bulldogs’ extremely forgiving schedule to start the season. In the first four weeks of the season, the Dawgs played their first four games in Athens and faced just one singular power-5 opponent. 

Where did we read this before.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Whaaaat if they’re going to be giving the TE slot fewer targets, then why spend #10 on a tight end, particularly if the plan is play him as a Y TE? He’ll get killed as a traditional inline guy. He’s prematurely balding. There’s not much left in that tank. 

You know who’s not prematurely balding? Me. And I have the testosterone level of a scented candle.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This whole thing is about him being bald, right? 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wasn't Tim Tebow a Heisman winner?

• Upvote 1