Players always seem to drop to us in draft

2 things that I've heard from former GMs in the past 24 hours that really helps explain why we took McDonald last year despite not being a popular pick or a perceived area of need for 2023:

Pat Kirwan - when drafting, you have to know (and be mindful of) what the contract situation is of players the following year. In the Jets case it was probably their ability to re-sign Huff and whether or not they would be keeping Lawson (coming off another injury).

Mark Dominik - when you are considering who to draft, you have to be thinking about prospects in the next year as well. How good is that class and how do they compare to the the prospects in the current draft? Ask your scouts that. It's obvious that this is a weak DL/edge draft class based on the # of offensive players that are projected 1st rounders.

Knowing it was going to be a strong WR class may also explain why we didn't take JSN or Flowers last year

• Upvote 3

On 4/24/2024 at 11:08 AM, slats said:

Don’t believe the Jets we’re ever in on Broderick Jones, but I’d love another team to jump ahead of them this year and take an OT at #9 leaving one or two of those juicy WRs on the board for us. 

lol you think we’ll take those overrated WRs over the supremely talented DLmen? You know we are going DL right?

On 4/24/2024 at 12:08 PM, slats said:

Don’t believe the Jets we’re ever in on Broderick Jones, but I’d love another team to jump ahead of them this year and take an OT at #9 leaving one or two of those juicy WRs on the board for us. 

Or jump up to take Bowers

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes, the Jets have unbelievable luck like when Dan Marino or Warren Sapp dropped into their laps.

Franchise changing guys....for other franchises. lol

I could have phrased it, “we always seem to have unexpected options available to us when its our turn to pick”

But i didnt, 🤷🏻‍♂️

16 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I could have phrased it, “we always seem to have unexpected options available to us when its our turn to pick”

But i didnt, 🤷🏻‍♂️

I remember my dad saying to me many years ago, "I'm not sure who will be available when the Jets pick but I'm pretty sure they'll pick the wrong guy."  My dad's been right 77% of the time unfortunately. lol

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well we just don’t agree that Broderick Jones would be the most important player on the 2024 Jets’ OL except that they wouldn’t have upgraded to Smith. Certainly hasn’t shown himself to be so thus far.

He may be more reliable in terms of the number of snaps as Smith, but on those snaps where they’re both playing he’s not half the dominant HOF level player Smith is. 

Don’t forget the “smart” pick was Ekwonu or Neal instead of Sauce. Both were better prospects than Jones and neither is a good, QB-saving LT. Maybe they will be, but as young players neither is anything special - or even obviously good - as blindside pass protectors, and so far neither is Jones.

This isn’t the one to cry over imo (or anyway, not yet). Smith is a major, major upgrade. 

The issue is not Broderick jones. The issue is Joe Douglas failure at the OL. Yes injuries happen to every team. Difference is jets OL is 1 of the worst in NFL year in year out. That on Joe D, not “ injuries .” His priority obviously was catering to Saleh and his need for extra extra DL depth, not fixing 30th ranked O/ OL. Lot of OLs aren’t great right out of the gate. But after these 1 yr deals on the OL, Will likely be back at square 1 trying to patch up the OL. I have no doubt the O or OL would have been so so bad past few years had we A ) not had a D guru as HC . b ) did not have a gm who catered so much to the D guru HC.