With a draft class set to provide little contribution in '24, the NY Jets need to turn to the '23 draft class to find success this season

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Wasn’t really a fan of this draft and only people who seem to be fans are the usual homers and people looking for clicks. At best it was an average draft. 

I think JD and Saleh were always way too incredibly comfortable. I thought this year I see more urgency from the way they talk and act. I guess in FA JD did make some moves but once again older guys who we don’t know what will happen. 

JDs fate was always tied to Zach I said, he somehow someway survived that like a teflon don. Now I think if McDonald doesn’t turn out to be really good he’s a walking dead man. We have 17 games to find out…

I like this draft much better than last year.  This league is about offense and the mcdonald pick wasn’t helping last year and may or may not this year.  But taking a true LT pass protector and physical wrs and rbs are ok by me.  Keep beefing up the offense.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I like this draft much better than last year.  This league is about offense and the mcdonald pick wasn’t helping last year and may or may not this year.  But taking a true LT pass protector and physical wrs and rbs are ok by me.  Keep beefing up the offense.  

If Corley turns out to be a true weapon then all the credit the world. Every jet fan tho knows to be weary of 2nd/3rd round WR picks tho. 2 RBs in the 5th trading out the 4th in many minds was just plain stupid. 

Lots to see. We had high hopes for Becton at 11 and  we saw what happened. We got a red shirt qb. Maybe that will pan out or maybe it will be captain Morgan all over again. To early to tell. 

On 4/29/2024 at 11:25 AM, JustInFudge said:

I know all the talk right now is about this class and understood, it's fresh but either way you slice it, even if you disagree it was underwhelming, the truth is this draft class will have a very limited impact on the success of the '24 season.  And while JD went hog wild in FA, we all know that never works out, so temper you expectations for an often injured FA class.  So where do the Jets get a lift?  They'll get the biggest lift this season, from the '23 draft class, who many bemoaned because it wasnt a good enough in a "win now" season, but somehow are comfortable w/ this class but I digress.   Lets look at how the '23 class are going to help the '24 Jets.

The Jets need Will McDonald to have a JJ like offseason and come into this season ready to be a dominant pass rusher.  I'm extremely confident in Will McDonald's ability and think he will live up to expectations, but it's almost a mandatory must happen for this team since it will be replacing not just Jefferson and Huff but also now, JFM.  That is a lot of QB hurries and sacks off this team and while Reddick is obviously a huge add, he's just one dude.  The Jets absolutely need Will McDonald to have a break out season.

The other major factor from that draft who is a Jets fan favorite because he quite possibly has the greatest hairdo of all time, is a man some call Joe, his parents call him Joseph but us die hard Jets fans affectionally know him as, Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!.  Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! had a very promising rookie season, after not playing the first 2 games on offense at all, he was basically a permanent starter the rest of the season only missing a few games due to injury.  He did leave week 18 due to an ankle injury, not sure how bad it was/is but the Jets need a healthy Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! to start the season and to play as many as snaps as possible since the Jets are razor thin at depth in IOL.  Very curious not take some of freaky RAS IOL guys and instead grab 2 RB's when they drafted Izzy last season, but I digress.   Maybe then can go offer to bring back Connor McGovern on a 1 year deal for some depth but either way, the Jets need Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! to step up big and really help anchor the offensive line.  The Jets have a proud history of talented Centers, here is to hoping Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! can follow suit!

I know JD is super duper happy w/ his decision to draft 2 RB's because the RB room is super cool now but I have no earthly idea what his line of thinking is when it comes to the RB position.  The RB room, was super duper cool last season w/ Hall, Carter, Izzy and Bam, there was no need for that worthless turd, Dalvin Cook.  Instead of sticking w/ a very solid RB room, he tore it apart, cutting Bam for Cook, trading MC for some stupid reason and then using 2 draft picks on RB's.  Izzy, a home run threat, was an ascending player in college and looking to really find his rhythm.  The one game he got to tot it a bit, he looked fine but what does JD do?  He goes trades all his 4th round picks for a single RB, who say what you will about, is a kid that has been a descending player since his freshman season, over necessary depth at IOL over even help and depth at S.  Taking another one was just bonkers.  I dont know what to make of this situation, but it feels like the Jets need Izzy to be a legit #2 as these rookies find there way in the NFL, especially if the worst case scenario happens and the Jets are w/out Hall for any amount of time.

Carter Warren.  Really impressed toward the end of last season when the line was playing it's best.  I know the Fashanu pick pushes Warren down the depth chart, which is fine but when you sign often injured T's, you need guys who can step in and play w/out concern.  You may think the Fashanu is the greatest pick ever and a 15 year starter in the NFL and that's great!  Good for you!  But there is difference between and hope and knowledge.  We have knowledge that Warren can play in the NFL.  We will find out if that's the case w/ Fashanu.

Barnes, JCB and Kuntz, whatever, cant rely on 6th and 7th round picks for anything so whatever but hopefully the Jets can find some depth w/ these 3.  

IMO the Jets approached this draft like a team that thinks they're really good.  Not sure why but it is what it is but in order for this team to live up to those lofty expectations, they will need key contributions from their '23 draft class.  The only place I could see someone from this class really pushing anyone is maybe Corley pushes Lazard for some playing time but I got a feeling Rodgers favorite teammate of all time, will get his head out of his ass and bounce back w/ his boo at the helm.  That said, on paper, Corley possess a skill that Lazard lacks, which could be where the Jets see lift from the '24 class.  Fun to keep an eye on but what you really need to keep an eye on is how that '23 draft class develops and provides contributions to this team.

1)  Will McDonald: I think McDonald will (see what I did there) make a jump.  That is a lot of pressures lost, yes.  But we did bring in other people.  I think with Clark back and Davis/Adams, we might get that split second that guys can get home.  We shall see.  But yes, we have to hope the 2023 draft class makes the jump on this one. 

2) Joe TIPPEMAN:  We could have found another great centre.  I think 'Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!' will take that position and make it his.  I bet McGovern is resigned because we need depth.  I like the first RB drafted.  Good player, so I don't think he is 'descending.'  BUT, I do not get drafting a second RB when there were depth/developmental guards and centres.  So...... We shall see.

3) BARNES/JCB/KUNTZ:  I get it.  6th and 7th round picks not named Brady or Purdy take time to develop.  If we don't need JCB, great.  But I think he will be, at the very least, good depth.  Kuntz, who knows.  Who cares.  Barnes played well when called upon.  If he isn't needed, great!  

4) FASHANU:  I get what you are saying.  But the last two years we have seen about 30 different OL line variations.  The best we could hope for is Fashanu never sees the field because Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses are healthy all year.  I hope he has ZERO impact for the team this year.  Given the reality, he might possibly make the most impact this entire season if he can come in, take over for Tyron Smith (one of the greatest LT this past 15 years) and not miss a beat.  That would be a HUGE impact.  

5) CARTER WARREN:  See Fashanu above.  Same thing.  We now have solid depth behind our starters just in case.  Warren has already shown he can do it.  

5) CORLEY:  I think he will push Lazard down the depth chart.  Do I know this?  No.  But I REALLY like that pick.  The kind of player we need going over the middle and getting us a few extra tough yards. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Lots to see. We had high hopes for Becton at 11 and  we saw what happened. We got a red shirt qb. Maybe that will pan out or maybe it will be captain Morgan all over again. To early to tell. 

Fashanu is not in the same class as Becton.  Becton was always either a complete bust or a perennial pro-bowler.  Fashanu at the very least will be a serviceable LT for years. 

Yup, Travis could be Morgan.  But you HAVE to keep taking project QB's in the hopes you find one.  Does it burn draft capital every year?  Yup.  But it has to be done until you find one.