Most of the Media are Absolute Idiots

55 minutes ago, Claymation said:

A measuring stick is a tool with a straight edge and markings at regular intervals that's used for measuring lengths. But that's not important now.

Jenkins Martins GIFJenkins Martins GIF

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 1:25 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

We won 7 games with Stink Wilson and guys JD signed hoping they would be even worse.  We should be able to win 10 games with even Tyrod Taylor 

Each win is exponentially more difficult statistically after 5 or so. 

On 7/25/2024 at 2:46 PM, Warfish said:

An unnecessary Self-inflicted wound. 

Take up your concern with the guy who caused the story in the first place, not the guys finally getting a chance to ask about it.

Sports media is still media, and Rodgers melodrama sells more papers and site hits than a deep dive into new groin stretching methodologies.

This is exactly wrong. I’ve worked in the media for 35 years, and when I entered the business THE most important rule was what was referred to as “separation of church and state.” That means the editorial side of a news organization is intentionally and strictly separate from the business side — there was a wall between the two. The gradual but at this point dramatic dissolution of that wall is THE number one reason for the sad state of the media today. And the indifference to this dissolution — the “it is what it is, welcome to the real world” attitude — of us, the consumers, is a big reason why they get away with it.

And yes, I realize that sports journalism is a bit of different beast. But it’s not that different — and the journalists should not be basing their questions and stories on what is going to “sell newspapers.” They should be going after stories that inform their audience about the subject — in this case, that’s the New York Jets and their prospects for the upcoming season. And changes in coaching, philosophy, personnel, etc matter just as much as any lingering tension or locker room drama around AR’s trip to Egypt at this point.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

And yes, I realize that sports journalism is a bit of different beast. But it’s not that different — and the journalists should not be basing their questions and stories on what is going to “sell newspapers.” 

Great post and I agree 100%.

But like it or not “Entertainment Media” is different and does act differently. I may not like it, but as you note with the broader media, what we think “should be” isn’t what is is in fact today.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Great post and I agree 100%.

But like it or not “Entertainment Media” is different and does act differently. I may not like it, but as you note with the broader media, what we think “should be” isn’t what is is in fact today.

Fair enough. Frankly, i kind of figured you’d get it. I respect that you said as much rather than getting defensive. I’d like to say my post was entirely about the principle, and not in response to the poster — but I have to admit, I like challenging you on some of your stances when I see it the other way. On this one, I think we see it the same way, however.

• Upvote 1