Fast start for Quincy, Sherwood & Adams ..

These guys deserve a special call-out at a time when Quinnen and Sauce have started slow AND injuries have slowed or stopped Reed | Carter II | JJ | Mosley.  Then of course there is Reddick sitting at home.

7 of our best defensive players underperforming or not performing at all.  

It's also noteworthy that while the above were mostly first round picks (Reed & Carter aside), Quincy was a waiver wire pick-up, Sherwood was a 5th round pick, and Adams was an undrafted free agent.

We'd be screwed without them stepping up.

1. While I had my doubts of a repeat, Quincy looks every bit as good as he did last year.  I think he has a brother on the team.

2. Sherwood should be given a much larger role, even when Mosley returns.  There should be an opportunity for more 3 LB sets given our weakness stopping the run & the poor play of Safeties Clark & Davis.  He should also be viewed as a legit contender to remain as a top Jets starting LB starter in 2025.  Sorry Mosley, I never liked the 2 year restructured deal you got.  Throw out sentimentality when trying to win.  

3. My boy Adams is on track to be a very good starter for years to come.  LOVE his upside.

Is this a good game or 2, or are we going to look back at these 3 as among our top 5 Defensive Players this entire season?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

and the idea of trading for two first-round picks...

I do believe it’s fair to question how ‘dominant’ he is as a player or at least how relatively valuable he is as a player in the Jets system that doesn’t even use him as a lockdown man cornerback.

I’m not basing this on one bad game (all players have them).  I’d personally like to see more interceptions and big plays.  Better run support.

I love Sauce but he needs to take another step up on his game year 3 for truly to be worth what many of us think he’s worth.  

• Upvote 1

No question Sherwood produced well in CJ's absence.

Mosely has been averaging between 9 and 10.5 tackle per game, every game, for the past three seasons, in the role of side-to-side ranging clean-up MLB in the Saleh system.  The role doesn't get a lot of sacks, but usually gets a few opportunities for INT's over the course of a year.  Mosely, despite his many critics and pay-haters here on JN, has still widely been considered one of the best MLB's in the NFL over this period. 

Sherwood on Sunday in relief had 12 tackles playing (partially) the Mosely role (of not the position. which seemingly QW stepped into), which is pretty darn impressive.

As other have noted, and I've agreed with, Mosely looked slow even prior to his injury in week 1, lacking the usual range and tackling surety he's generally known for, which made me wonder if he was hurt prior to the official toe injury that sidelined him, or if he's just flat out last a step or two over time and has begun to quickly start breaking down.  TBD at this point, we'll see how long he's out for.

In the interim, we can hope Sherwood can continue his torrid tackling/clean-up pace set vs. the Titans, which would be great.  LB depth has been a concern, QW seems to have become a real star, but the depth behind the top two has been uncertain.  If Sherwood can prove he's the man, that'll be a huge help for the Jets this year.  

• Upvote 1