John Simpson - the forgotten man on the O-Line.

22 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just rewatched the game on NFL Replay (condensed version) and was paying attention to the O-Line in particular. The difference in Line Play from the last few years to Thursday Night in particular is insane. Yeah, they got beat up Week 1, but primarily in the Run Game... and the surprise was the guy that stood out the most for kicking ass in a phone booth was LG John Simpson. Dude is aggressive in the run game and an anchor in Pass Pro. He got one solid, perfect pancake vs the Pats on Thursday night, and while I would normally downgrade someone for a 15 Yard personal foul penalty, in Simpsons case, I shall allow it... that was just 2 plays after Uche hit Rodgers late and he was sending a message. Combined with him protecting I believe it was Hall after a hit where he got up in the Pats defenders face, He brings an attitude the Jets O-Line has lacked since... probably Mawae. 

Dude is far better than advertised so far and was probably our best O-Lineman on Thursday night. Tippman had an excellent game as well tbh and Fashanu was solid but not asked to do much considering when he came in. With Smith and Moses being the higher profile signings, and AVT and Tippman's history with the team, it's like Simpson is the "forgotten man" on the O Line, but dude has been really, really good so far. 

So far so good. 

He was definitely a solid signing that sort of flew under the radar.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the o-line has been much more assertive in sending a message these year. love that they do it.

I have to be honest, though... and yeah I'll get sh*t for this "take" 🙄 but Tyron Smith has been... solid. Not the dominator I was expecting at LT. Hes very businesslike and almost machine like in his games to this point. Hes healthy so far, he had plenty of rest, and the guy next to him is playing well, I was just expecting more, I guess. Hes been beat on the edge a couple of times and doesnt play with the same energy as the rest of the guys in my observation.  

I'm not "complaining", because he's been better than the dreck we've gotten for the past 5+ years at LT (Bectons rookie year is overblown and completely overrated around here imo), but for the hype, the players history, and the $$$ I expected more. 

Expectations are the death of joy... 😆 

• Upvote 1

I saw that personal foul penalty and thought hell yeah, payback for the roughing call 2 plays earlier. 

It's great to see a guy like that on the team, it'll make defensive players think twice about dirty hits if Simpson is not gonna get mad but get even

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Kind of reminds me a bit of Faneca with regards to nasty, no BS.  Hope his attitude helps with AVT, Tippman, Olu like Faneca did for Brick and Mangold...

I love how mild mannered he seems off the field... reminds of Quinnen a bit in that regard. 

John Simpson assesses his first training camp with the Jets & what it's like playing with Aaron Rodgers | Watch (msn.com)

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have to be honest, though... and yeah I'll get sh*t for this "take" 🙄 but Tyron Smith has been... solid. Not the dominator I was expecting at LT. Hes very businesslike and almost machine like in his games to this point. Hes healthy so far, he had plenty of rest, and the guy next to him is playing well, I was just expecting more, I guess. Hes been beat on the edge a couple of times and doesnt play with the same energy as the rest of the guys in my observation.  

I'm not "complaining", because he's been better than the dreck we've gotten for the past 5+ years at LT (Bectons rookie year is overblown and completely overrated around here imo), but for the hype, the players history, and the $$$ I expected more. 

Expectations are the death of joy... 😆 

The extra benefit that I am looking for with the TS signing is Olu soaking up this man’s dedication at working to be the best. Drafted #9 in 2010, there are a lot of similarities. Smiths dedication in the weight room would help Olu greatly.

• Upvote 1