SALEH FIRED

nj meadowlands

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

yes, usually the head coach hires all of his assistants. And since Saleh wanted Rodgers, I'm assuming he reached out to Hackett in very much the same way he reached out to everyone else he hired?

Even if I grant you that Hackett was "forced" on him (again, I doubt that. I think the Jets made an organizational decision to go after Rodgers and Saleh was very happy to bring in a guy he had high regard for to make that happen), who else was forced on him?  Not Keith Carter, so who else? This whole narrative goes nowhere and absolves Saleh of nothing. 

Did he choose Zach Wilson and did he choose to fire Mike LaFleur. Start there. We know Woody meddles. We know Douglas interjects into the running of the team. Saleh did not sit at his desk and connive a path toward seducing Rodgers to the Jets by himself. The Jets defense—which is Saleh’s defense—has given up one TD total over the last three games. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did he choose Zach Wilson and did he choose to fire Mike LaFleur. Start there. We know Woody meddles. We know Douglas interjects into the running of the team. Saleh did not sit at his desk and connive a path toward seducing Rodgers to the Jets by himself. The Jets defense—which is Saleh’s defense—has given up one TD total over the last three games. 

Please stop the nonsense. He 100% wanted Wilson. I remember vividly seeing Saleh giggle like a school girl during the pro day. Not to mention shanahan traded three first round picks to jump into the top 3 knowing they’d take Wilson if he was there.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did he choose Zach Wilson and did he choose to fire Mike LaFleur. Start there. We know Woody meddles. We know Douglas interjects into the running of the team. Saleh did not sit at his desk and connive a path toward seducing Rodgers to the Jets by himself

No sh*t. None of these decisions were made by one person. The coach, GM, and owner sit in a room together and talk about it. I'm saying Saleh was on board (and enthusiastic) about getting Aaron Rodgers and nothing more. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets defense—which is Saleh’s defense—has given up one TD total over the last three games. 

That's great - I'd offer him the DC job tonight. The head coach doesn't get paid to field a good defense, he gets paid to win games. 

7 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Please stop the nonsense. He 100% wanted Wilson. I remember vividly seeing Saleh giggle like a school girl during the pro day. Not to mention shanahan traded three first round picks to jump into the top 3 knowing they’d take Wilson if he was there.

That's the thing. A bunch of teams wanted Wilson. The Jets weren't alone on that one. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

No idea what your point even is anymore. You just said Saleh didn't make the decision by himself and I agreed with you. 

I don’t think Saleh made a lot of decisions by himself, including Hackett, possibly Downing, etc. My overarching point is that if Woody’s concern was to fix the team’s problems this week, firing Saleh doesn’t make much sense when it’s clearly the offense ******* the team. How does putting Ulbrich in charge of Hackett fix anything? 

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Saleh made a lot of decisions by himself, including Hackett, possibly Downing, etc. My overarching point is that if Woody’s concern was to fix the team’s problems this week, firing Saleh doesn’t make much sense when it’s clearly the offense ******* the team. How does putting Ulbrich in charge of Hackett fix anything? 

You'll see! :D 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My overarching point is that if Woody’s concern was to fix the team’s problems this week, firing Saleh doesn’t make much sense when it’s clearly the offense ******* the team. How does putting Ulbrich in charge of Hackett fix anything? 

Well, first, it's not clear what Ulbrich is going to do with Hackett and what Hackett's precise role will be going forward. It sounds like Downing will be calling plays on Monday night. Beyond that, it's not clear what Hackett's role will be. 

Either way, they didn't have a great way to fix the offense, on paper. Anyone who took over for Saleh was getting promoted from the current staff because it's week 6. Any play-caller who takes over for Hackett is coming from the current staff because it's week 6. There's no slam dunks on this staff. This is the consequence of not replacing Saleh back in January, when he 100% should have been replaced. 

The Jets organization is supposedly high on Ulbrich. This is a Hail Mary. If they are right about Ulbrich (unlikely but not impossible) and Downing is a materially better offensive coach/play-caller than Hackett (also unlikely) than maybe they can eek out a season. If not, everyone is gone at the end of the year. But, with Saleh, that was 100% happening anyway. Saleh was never going 8-4 in the remaining 12 games. He's barely ever gotten the team to play well 2 weeks in a row. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The entire braintrust went out to Utah to watch Wilson run around a high school field and throw. They all wanted it to be so. It was wishful thinking plus groupthink. 2 decisions have killed this franchise last decade; Adams over Mahomes(epic BAD) , and then compounding that  bad  by taking Wilson over Parsons or Sewell and keeping Darnold. There's an argument that Darnold can be servicable, may be not a superstar but I guy you can win with. Right now, Darnold is in that muddled middle of QBs like Burrow and Lawrence. 

Simply not sure how anyone could watch like Zach Wilson for 10 minutes on college film and see anything more than a backup or a CFL running type QB. And Saleh was right there in Utah. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

tbh maybe nothing, but Saleh wasn't going to fire anyone under him, and being such a mushy mush as a HC he was in no position to find fault with anyone else anyway. Like even with the offense being this awful, the two most likely or main culprits who deserve to get fired themselves - Hackett & Carter - would look at him like, Lmao what is it you even do here? You ignore half the team and don't call the plays on the other half. Sniff my sweaty nuts, baldy. 

Anyway Saleh isn't going to fire any coach himself. I guess there's a possibility Ulbrich might, if things don't change for the better, but even if he doesn't it probably speaks to the other issue: who is there to hire right now anyway? I mean, what offensive coach of any merit would sign on to this team right now?

Make a change and hope it lights a spark. Even if it's just getting them more disciplined to cut down on the penalties, drops, miscommunications, and just mental errors in general. That, and hearing Hackett call a stupid play he'll now be in a position to say, "Whoa, are you sh**ting me? You know how easy/obvious that is to defend? Call something else," -- even in the absence of making that new/better play call himself fingers crossed maybe he stops a few tragically stupid ones from happening.

Saleh deserved it. Plus yeah I guess they also see a dozen games of whether Ulbrich is worth keeping, since he'd get tossed with Saleh after the season anyway. Is he worth promoting as HC or was he just Saleh's errand boy as a DC? They get to see without yet making a multi-year commitment to him. That alone makes it worth doing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Think he like everyone including us hoped a guy even this late in a Hall of Fame career could make things way better. You can fault the move, but you also can understand the logic. 

I don't have a problem with the firing. Heck, all for it. Saleh didn't add anything. Johnson is no genius but they  had to change some variable and apply the paddles. You can't allow them to start playing out the string with a dozen games left here. Can't cut 53 players but you can fire 1 guy. Though strongly suspect Johnson did this largely because Saleh's contract is up at the end of the season and he won't pay anybody not to coach ever again. They've done that so often. 

actually i read Saleh has a 5th year and he said he plans on not coaching next year.