Brick: arguably #1 overall value

bitonti

I've been browsing Texans sites to see what these fans think of their first round pick - and to a man they all say they can understand why not Bush but what they don't understand is why Mario instead of Brick - most sites had these guys about equally amazing - from a football standpoint the team was desperate for a franchise LT - that it would be the pick that protected Carr and allowed the team to get better. It would have been the pick that helped them win - even more than Bush or Mario would help them.

We are talking about a player that would have been top 5 had he come out as a 20 year old junior - only got bigger and stronger and more impressive as a senior - had a great Senior Bowl, dominating everyone he faced in practices.

We are talking about a player that for 6 months held the #1 overall spot on the Draft Daddy big board (displaced by the Prez when he declared)

It's not a stretch to say a legitimate franchise LT is worth #1 overall value - maybe not in this stacked draft with 290 pounders running 4.6 and the Preisdent taking it to the house every time he touches the ball... but definatley in a weaker class Brick would have been the cream of the crop.

I'm gonna say it - the Jets got #1 overall value with their #4 pick. Had the Texans been thinking differently Brick could have been the surprise guy instead of Mario.

Right now it looks like the Jets got a franchise LT. They also added the best center in the draft. What a day. During the ESPN pre-draft show on the radio they said you could make a case for the top 5 guys all being # 1 if they were in last years draft class.

I kind of feel bad for the Texans. Obviously Mario was their guy but it sucked for them they couldn't trade down a spot or two and select him. Everybody likes Reggie but the concerns about his durability remain.

Williams physically is awesome. But when you look at his stats, sorry to say, this pick reminds me a lot of Robertson, even if they play different positions. When you look at the stats of what Williams actually did in some games in college, he's much less impressive.

Mario Williams' Division I-AA Foes

Opponent Season Tackles Assists Sacks

Western Carolina 2003 5 1 0

Richmond 2004 3 0 0

Eastern Kentucky 2005 0 1 0

Let's assume he was a young guy in 2003. If he can only manage 3 tackles against the Richmond Spiders in 2004 and an assist against the Eastern Kentucky Hilltoppers last fall, what is he going to do in an a NFL game? May be these were blowouts and he was our early. Still-in those first few series against guys who are now working on Wall Street or selling insurance(and posting on message baords while at said jobs), that's all he could do?

I have heard Kubiak was firm in that in his system the back is less important than the plan, and the Broncos' results bear that out. But I'm not sure you can justify passing on a talented guy like Bush for someone that apparently dissappears in games.

Right now it looks like the Jets got a franchise LT. They also added the best center in the draft. What a day. During the ESPN pre-draft show on the radio they said you could make a case for the top 5 guys all being # 1 if they were in last years draft class.

I kind of feel bad for the Texans. Obviously Mario was their guy but it sucked for them they couldn't trade down a spot or two and select him. Everybody likes Reggie but the concerns about his durability remain.

i felt bad for MARIO when the crowd BOO'd him...

mario = abe,,,

i have seen him for years down here,,,

he is HORRIBLE vs run,,,,,,

he takes outside speed rushes on 3rd and 1,,that all he thinks about,,,,

I am not readt to put Ferguson in the Hall Of Fame but he was a solid pick in a big area of need for the Jets. Good character to me is important- I will take a less talented individual with good work ethic over a egomaniac anyday

Texans did the right thing by waiting til the later rounds to draft O-line. Eric Winston and Max Jean-Gilles are both going to be good linemen. I don't like Mario Williams as much as everyone else does, too inconsistent in college to be #1 overall, but they could have done worse.

Texans did the right thing by waiting til the later rounds to draft O-line. Eric Winston and Max Jean-Gilles are both going to be good linemen. I don't like Mario Williams as much as everyone else does, too inconsistent in college to be #1 overall, but they could have done worse.

gilles dropped cause he CANNOT pull,, Jets system dictates a pulling OL

How can you feel bad for a dude making 26 mil in guaranteed $$?

tellin u verde,, abe the 2nd,,

cant play the run,,,

but he can sure get after the qb,,

beans and i have seen this dude for 3 years now,, i bet beans is in agreement on the lack of run stoppage

What I don't understand is why teams with the #1 pick hold out for exhorbitant trade value. IF you know that Bush is not going to be your pick and you know you can get Ferg, Williams,Hawk or whoever why not force a trade with another team by asking for LESS than the perceived trade value. For example, assuming the Jets want to trade up from #4 why not do it for their #4 and #29. It's a trade value bargain for the Jets, but the Texans still would get Williams or Ferg and still have an extra #29 pick. They would also pay less for their player. Baffling.

Archived