Cowher moving closer to retirement

faba

'I'm just taking it year to year'

Friday, June 09, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

blank.gif[url=http://www.post-gazette.com/popup.asp?img=http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060609pd_Cowher_450.jpg]blank.gif

There is a growing feeling inside the Steelers organization that Bill Cowher may coach one more season or, at most two, and then retire to the $2.5 million home he and his wife bought in Raleigh, N.C., this year.

That sentiment was underscored yesterday with Cowher's answer to a question about whether this might be his final season coaching the Steelers.

"I'm just taking it year to year," he said, reiterating words he first spoke at the NFL meetings in March.

His brief comment came during a press conference yesterday to mark the end of the Steelers' spring workouts. Cowher declined, through a spokesman, to speak further about his future.

That answer conflicts with one he gave two years ago in March just before negotiations began that extended his contract through the 2007 season.

"I have a seventh-grader," he said then, "and I know for at least the next five years, if not longer, I plan on coaching."

His youngest daughter, Lindsay, reportedly left Fox Chapel High School to enroll as a sophomore in the fall in a school near Raleigh, where she will play basketball.

Talks between Cowher's agent, Phil de Picciotto, and Steelers President Art Rooney II have been ongoing to extend the coach's contract, something that has always been accomplished when he has had two seasons left on his deal. It's possible no deal will be struck before the regular season begins and if not, Rooney said talks would then stop until the season ends.

"There's always a chance," Rooney said yesterday. "As you know, he has two years left on his contract. No one's sitting here saying we have to absolutely have something done this year. We can always continue the conversation next year."

Rooney declined to reveal the progress of talks.

"The only thing I can say is we've had some conversations and I expect to have more. The important thing is that Bill's focus is entirely on the challenge of the 2006 football season and that's where it should be."

Asked if he thought this might be Cowher's final season coaching the Steelers, Rooney paused before saying he did not.

"I hate to speculate about things like that, but I would say I would be surprised if this were his last year. I'm sure he's given it some thought at some point about how long he wants to coach. He's at the 15-year mark and that's a long time in this league."

Some members of the organization believe Cowher's decision could hinge on how the 2006 season turns out, but he expressed his desire to possibly retire to at least one person last fall.

Cowher, 49, told an associate not connected with the team last October that he was growing tired of the grind of coaching professional football and might soon retire. It was about the time that he and Mrs. Cowher picked out their new home in North Raleigh, near where his wife grew up. When news of their purchase of the 7,400-square foot home broke in March, it stunned most in the organization. The Cowhers also own a summer home on Bald Head Island, N.C., and the first home they bought when the Steelers hired him in 1992, in Fox Chapel.

There was at least one television report that Mrs. Cowher and Lindsay would move to Raleigh and that Cowher would "commute" when he could, a difficult task for an NFL coach during a season that includes seven-day work weeks from late July to, in the Steelers' case this year when they won the Super Bowl, early February. Cowher's eldest daughter Meagan will be a sophomore at Princeton University and his middle daughter Lauren is enrolled there as a freshman and will play basketball. Before the Steelers won the Super Bo

I live a few streets away in North Raleigh where he just bought (his house is below). The house is very nice and his kid is going to school here in August.

Everyone in area is saying he will be here for good in no more than 2 years.

If Amato gets fired, he may even coach his alma mater, NC State.

But bottom line is there will be a opening at HC in Pitt in 1 to 2 years.

DK153016.jpg

From what I've heard Cowher is a real *******. My uncle who used to live in NC said Cowher was a real prick to everyone around him.

But, whatever, still one hell of a football coach and somebody I wouldn't mind coaching the Jets ever.

From what I've heard Cowher is a real *******. My uncle who used to live in NC said Cowher was a real prick to everyone around him.

would you be in a good mood if you had a chin like that...

But, whatever, still one hell of a football coach and somebody I wouldn't mind coaching the Jets ever.

That is the just the impression one person got of him i'm sure.

people rub everyone the wrong way at one point or another. I'm sure there are plenty of people who thought Namath was a prick when he played.

BTW you guys are nuts if you think he'll retire within the next 2 years. Carolina my foot! Billy was born and raised around the 'Burgh. He's a Pittsburgher through and through. Not to mention that football is in his blood. I think it's pretty safe to say that he won't retire for at least another 5 years or so. And thats even pushing it.

BTW you guys are nuts if you think he'll retire within the next 2 years. Carolina my foot! Billy was born and raised around the 'Burgh. He's a Pittsburgher through and through. Not to mention that football is in his blood. I think it's pretty safe to say that he won't retire for at least another 5 years or so. And thats even pushing it.

sorry man,, i respect u as a poster so i wont BS you,,ask Heelz, Beans etc,,,

this is a slam dunk, ,he will coach ONE, maybe two more years at MOST,,,

and he is retiring in NC,,,Fulltime,,

wife from here and he fell in love with area when he went to school here,,

he is gonna be in raleigh during winter and bald head during summer,,,

this is a LOCK...

daughter already enrolled in high school THIS COMING AUGUST.. Mrs. Cowher has moved already and living here,,,

sorry man,, i respect u as a poster so i wont BS you,,ask Heelz, Beans etc,,,

this is a slam dunk, ,he will coach ONE, maybe two more years at MOST,,,

and he is retiring in NC,,,Fulltime,,

wife from here and he fell in love with area when he went to school here,,

he is gonna be in raleigh during winter and bald head during summer,,,

this is a LOCK...

daughter already enrolled in high school THIS COMING AUGUST.. Mrs. Cowher has moved already and living here,,,

I respect the hell out of u guys too. Your opinion is valid. I just think that coaching is in his blood. And coaching the Steelers is the only job he ever wanted all along. He grew up there. To my knowledge, his home in NC is strictly a vacation type deal. But should he retire within the next couple of years, my hope is that Ken Whisenhunt stays on as the heir apparent. He did turn down the Raider job recently, so who knows what may be in the works.

Cowher has drawn a hell of alot of criticism over the years for playoff and AFCC failures. But his record within our division is downright awesome. I'll forever be grateful for that.

But it would not bother me at all to see Kenny W become the next HC. I just hope that Bill lets him know before he takes on a HC job with another team.

I respect the hell out of u guys too. Your opinion is valid. I just think that coaching is in his blood. And coaching the Steelers is the only job he ever wanted all along. He grew up there. To my knowledge, his home in NC is strictly a vacation type deal. But should he retire within the next couple of years, my hope is that Ken Whisenhunt stays on as the heir apparent. He did turn down the Raider job recently, so who knows what may be in the works.

Cowher has drawn a hell of alot of criticism over the years for playoff and AFCC failures. But his record within our division is downright awesome. I'll forever be grateful for that.

But it would not bother me at all to see Kenny W become the next HC. I just hope that Bill lets him know before he takes on a HC job with another team.

Stiller,, you are 1/2 right,, his home on Bald Head Island, NC is his vacation home. He has had that for years, and STILL has it. This is the NEW home he just purchased for permanent residence. His kid is enrolled in High school in Raleigh and his wife is living here in Raleigh now. He has been in press down here saying he will be in Bald Head in summer and Raleigh REST of year when he retires. But obvioulsy with kid and wife moving from Pa. to NC that is happening faster then originally thought.

With Bill's stress level going through the roof this week, would you care to revise your estimate?

:P

With Bill's stress level going through the roof this week, would you care to revise your estimate?

:P

lol Smartass.

I will say this. Ben certainly has a penchant for getting under Bill's skin. The funny thing to me was when Ben told him "Now lets coach to win, not coach not to lose" before the SB. lol

In a wierd way, i think Bill actually likes that Ben speaks his mind to him.

But yea, this incedent had to give Bill a hell of an ulcer.

lol Smartass.

I will say this. Ben certainly has a penchant for getting under Bill's skin. The funny thing to me was when Ben told him "Now lets coach to win, not coach not to lose" before the SB. lol

In a wierd way, i think Bill actually likes that Ben speaks his mind to him.

But yea, this incedent had to give Bill a hell of an ulcer.

Well Bill had a knack for losing the big game before Big Ben came to town. So he will get a pretty long leash!

drove by his house today-- looks like he's getting pretty southern stiller, rooney better get herm on the phone ASAP...

cowher.gif

Archived