Open Competition: The Corners from Jets Blog

SoFlaJets

by Bassett at 08:00AM (EDT) on July 3, 2006

With a month until training camp, and an open competition for most every job, who do you think will be the starters for this team come Opening Weekend? Or will we see some sort of situational and game by game rotations? All the same, who are the "go-to" guys for the Jets?

Losses: Ty Law (Unsigned)

Acquisitions: Andre Dyson (Seahawks), Ray Mickens (Browns), Rayshun Reed (Niners),

Rookies: Drew Coleman (TCU), Jamie Thompson (OSU), Omowale Dada (Washington State)

Right Corner: David Barrett, Andre Dyson, Ray Mickens, Derrien Johnson, Dada Omowale

Left Corner: Justin Miller, Derrick Strait, Drew Coleman, Rayshun Reed

After Donnie Abraham retired last year, the signing of Ty Law enabled the Jets to play the rest of their corners at their true positions, Barrett slid to the #2 while Strait continued his role in nickel coverage. With Law in the lineup, the Jets starting corners combine for a tie of the most interceptions in the league with 15. Law played well in his year with the Jets, but played opportunistically and caused grief for coordinator Donnie Henderson by not totally "buying in" to the scheme.

With Law now gone, the Jets have used the cap savings to find more decent players to compete, but this is a situation much like the Jets wideouts currently face. There is no one great option at receiver that anchors the rest of the players to their proper roles. Between David Barrett, Andre Dyson and Justin Miller, at the present it seems to be a battle of the #2s.

Barrett works best when he has help over the top, but in general, his play is inconsistent and when he is burned, it's usually the "charred beyond recognition" variety. Dyson works well in man coverage, and risen his game over the past few years, but is prone to injuries. Miller struggled last year, but did show improvement toward the end of the season, as he logged more time on the field. Miller could have the potential to become a solid corner, but he just lacks experience at this stage. Hopefully under Mangini's can help bring him along.

While the beat writers had a chance to see the players in action a few weeks ago, rookie Drew Coleman turned some heads with some excellent play. Bringing back Ray Mickens was an interesting move for the Jets to add depth at the nickel and one can only wonder what it signals for the roster battles.

My personal take on the Mickens acquisition is that it signals that the Jets want some veteran help for spot work, and that they are looking to shore up the middle-depth players by cutting some "dead weight." Just my opinion, but I foresee the Jets dumping Derrick Strait and playing a starting rotation with Dyson & Miller seeing the majority of time, and Barrett moonlighting and playing nickel/dime with Mickens.

For some reason I think Barrett would be a good safety but not sure if he will ever move there. I like Strait just wish he would stay healthy. As for Mickens he can still play nickel very well and will be great for the young guys. So I guess my answer will be Barrett and Dyson at corner on opening day

1. Dyson

2. Miller

Nickel = Mickens / Barrett

#1 back-up = Barrett

5. Coleman / Johnson / Reed / Strait will compete, one of those will end up on the PS.

This is how it should pan out. Problem is I just see the CS leaving Miller as a back-up for another season. Hopefully not though, and hopefully Barrett is gone after 2006.

How soon before rajensen sees this thread and responds with a link that says the ronald mcdonald house rated the top defensive players from last season and justin miller was ranked as the worst starting corner in the league...........

How soon before rajensen sees this thread and responds with a link that says the ronald mcdonald house rated the top defensive players from last season and justin miller was ranked as the worst starting corner in the league...........

Barton, why did you give yourself "Dooshey of the Day"?

Barton, why did you give yourself "Dooshey of the Day"?

I dunno what happened I think max raided my user cp and changed my sig and somehow i cant change it back. I pmed the bastard and he keeps sending me pics of the dirty cats he feeds every morning in the alley by the dunkin donuts.

I dunno what happened I think max raided my user cp and changed my sig and somehow i cant change it back. I pmed the bastard and he keeps sending me pics of the dirty cats he feeds every morning in the alley by the dunkin donuts.

That's pretty funny.:cheers:

If we are indeed tryingto copy the Pats in every way possible then there is a chance Strait will become a star.

He was the classic Bradway pick,square peg for the circular hole.Draft a zone coverage player when we're playing man coverage.If we switch to the cover 4 then Strait would probably be a better fit than Miller.They were a lot of good things said about Strait when he was drafted,it seems he was always going to be a system player but now he might be in the right system.

The same might go for Barrett,they always said he was a better zone player than man.

1. Dyson

2. Miller

Nickel = Mickens / Barrett

#1 back-up = Barrett

5. Coleman / Johnson / Reed will compete, one of those will end up on the PS.

This is how it should pan out. Problem is I just see the CS leaving Miller as a back-up for another season. Hopefully not though, and hopefully Barrett is gone after 2006.

And what about Strait?

And what about Strait?

I actually have forgotton all about DStrait after liking him a lot his rookie season he's been a dissapointment to everyone. I just put him though as a candidate for the #5 slot.

Archived