Broncos' Sauerbrun to appeal alleged ephedra violation

JetNation

Sauerbrun to appeal alleged ephedra violation

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

espn-146x46-0032.gif

Denver Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun has apprised team management that he will appeal his pending four-game suspension for an alleged violation of the NFL's banned substances policy and is in the process of filing the pertinent paperwork with league officials.

Todd Sauerbruns3156.jpgPunter

Denver Broncos

Profile2005 SEASON STATISTICSPuntsAvgIn 20In 10BlkLong7243.8248166

Sauerbrun reportedly tested positive recently for ephedra, the stimulant added to the banned substance list following the training camp death of Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer in 2001. Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement and the NFL policy on steroids and related substances, the 11-year veteran cannot be suspended until the appeals process is completed.

The policy stipulates that a player must inform the commissioner in writing of his intention to appeal within five days after receiving written notification from the league of his pending suspension. He must stipulate, as well, if he is requesting a hearing, over which the commissioner or his designee would preside.

If a hearing is sought, the NFL schedules it, either in person or via conference call, within 20 calendar days of the request. The NFL then provides the player and his counsel with a laboratory documentation package, verifying the test results and the chain-of-custody procedures. The player has two days after receipt of the documentation package to inform league officials, in writing, of the grounds for his appeal.

When the appeal is completed, the NFL then has five working days to apprise the player of its decision. According to the league policy on steroids and related substances, the NFL "will endeavor to conduct and conclude these procedures expeditiously."

Given the timeframes established by the steroid policy, it appears there is more than sufficient time for the Sauerbrun appeal to be resolved well in advance of the start of the regular season. The Broncos open the season at St. Louis on Sept. 10.

Because the NFL does not officially announce suspensions until after an appeal has been decided -- league officials have, citing confidentiality guidelines, steadfastly declined to comment on the Sauerbrun case -- there is no way of knowing how many appeals have been successful. The consensus around the league, however, is that successful appeals are rare in such cases.

If he is suspended, Sauerbrun will be permitted to practice in training camp and participate in preseason games, but could not practice with the Broncos once the sanctions were in place for the regular season. He would forfeit $328,235, or four-seventeenths of his scheduled base salary of $1.395 million for 2006.

Denver officials have declined comment on the pending suspension, which, given the timing, likely would be for the first four games of the season.

"We'll deal with that after the appeal goes through, and at that time, I'll address it," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said on Friday.

The loss of Sauerbrun, a three-time Pro Bowl performer and widely regarded as one of the NFL's premier punters, would be a difficult one for the Broncos to absorb, even for four games.

"Todd's a Pro Bowl punter," said special teams coach Ronnie Bradford. "So I don't know if you can sustain. If we get something near that level, I think we'll be OK. But Todd played well for us last year."

In his first season in Denver, after being acquired from Carolina in a trade last spring, Sauerbrun averaged 43.8 yards gross and 38.0 yards net on 72 punts.

There are four candidates on the current roster and Denver officials could also seek a veteran punter still available in the free agent market. Broncos kicker Jason Elam was a punter in college. Paul Ernster, a seventh-round choice in the 2005 draft who split his rookie campaign between the Denver practice squad and injured reserve, led the nation in punting at Northern Arizona in 2004 with a 47.8-yard average, but is rehabilitating from a torn anterior cruciate ligament. The roster also includes undrafted free agents Tyler Fredrickson of the University of California and Jeff Williams of Adams State.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Ephedrine is in just about half of the over the counter weight loss supplements and sports energizers. You can still buy it online LEGALLY.

Yeah Jason Ferguson sat out 4 games under Parcells. He tried the whole I bought it at GNC thing. The league doesn't care.

One question, why does a punter need to take steroids?:confused:

Its not a steroid. But a punter shouldnt need ephedrine either. Ephedrine is in most over the counter cold medicine. I used to take it to supress my hunger and give me a boost for the gym or before a game. But if your in the NFL and you cant get up for the game, you need to quit right away.

I believe the only way to test for growth hormone is a spinal tap.

"For now, there is no test to detect HGH in a person's urine. WADA has developed a blood test that it used during the 2004 and 2006 Olympics, but no athletes have tested "positive" for excessively high levels of HGH. "

They don't want to order blood tests because it's considered "excessively intrusive." Still, ephedra? What's the big deal? It's like they are trying to catch the Swedish Bikini Team. Was he cutting weight for some reason?

Archived