Trade for Michael Mayer

With the Raiduhs drafting another move TE in Bowers, Mayer is redundant for them.

Offer the 3rd rounder they just got from the Lions (#125).

They also have Harrison Bryant, a decent #2 TE who is now a #3.

Mayer for free > burning 10th overall on Bowers

Mayer is under team control for 2M per through 2026

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

With the Raiduhs drafting another move TE in Bowers, Mayer is redundant for them.

I assume the Raiders want both TEs but if they were willing to trade Mayer, I'd hope JD would be all in on that.  I'd trade a 2nd rounder for him.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Two tight end sets are very smart for teams, something the jets should have done way more last year.

Bully those small nickel backs and small safety linebacker hybrids and have a better chance at max protect if you can.

You need actual tight ends in order to run 2 te sets. 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Two tight end sets are very smart for teams, something the jets should have done way more last year.

Bully those small nickel backs and small safety linebacker hybrids and have a better chance at max protect if you can.

Those small S/LB hybrids exist to counter small TE/WR hybrids. 

• Upvote 1

The 2025 3rd will be replacing the pick we spent on Reddick. It's exactly why I love the move, I wasn't a fan that we invested a future resource in that trade but JD was essentially able to replace it "for free", given we got a 4th just for moving back to 11.

I like Mayer, but I don't know that he's an immediate significant upgrade over Conklin. I'd love to acquire him next off season (maybe even cheaper) if we aren't looking like bringing Conklin back, but for a day 2 pick I'd personally not trade for him at this time. Not a major blocking upgrade on Ruckert or receiving upgrade on Conklin.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

The 2025 3rd will be replacing the pick we spent on Reddick. It's exactly why I love the move, I wasn't a fan that we invested a future resource in that trade but JD was essentially able to replace it "for free", given we got a 4th just for moving back to 11.

I like Mayer, but I don't know that he's an immediate significant upgrade over Conklin. I'd love to acquire him next off season (maybe even cheaper) if we aren't looking like bringing Conklin back, but for a day 2 pick I'd personally not trade for him at this time. Not a major blocking upgrade on Ruckert or receiving upgrade on Conklin.

I'd trade for him now if he was available.  I wouldn't want to risk his value increasing next offseason.  I still don't think the Raiders are going to have any interest in trading him though.  I get the feeling they're trying out an entirely new model.  I'm fascinated to see how it works out.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If they wanted to trade Mayer, they would have done it during the draft.

Mayer is not on the trading block.

This too. Even if Mayer isn't TE1 anymore, he's still a fantastic TE2 on a cheap rookie contract. No incentive to move him unless we make an offer that knocks their socks off (which we shouldn't). If he gets unsettled and we can get a discount, I'm here for it.

Edit: @TuscanyTile2 agreed, if he were made available it'd be a different story. I'm just assuming he won't be available, unless his role decreases to the point where he gets upset. The "upgrade quality vs trade value" chart isn't very enticing otherwise. It'd probably take a first or second round pick, at that point let's just draft a top TE ourselves 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Conklin is all pro and rucket is 2nd team pro bowl but just has not been given snaps, or so i have been told

Ironically, if you go look at Ruckert’s pre-draft profile from a few years ago, he’d grade out at the top of this class behind Bowers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I really think that is what Lazzard’s role is going to be this year. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Would you offer them Fashanou?

Colin Jost GIF by PBS NewsHour

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

No he’s not .  They are total different .   Ones a traditional Te who can block Des , and can catch.      Bower isn’t’t capable of blocking Des, more of a move blocker.   Raiders are going to play a lot of two Te’s ( sometimes even three ) Luke Getsky loves utilizing the Tes in his offense.  Even the rb Dylan Laube they drafted out of New Hampshire will be big part of their passing game. ( will see him or bowers occasional lining up  in the slot .

Michael Mayer will turn 23 in July, and B Bowers is 21 .   God willing that will be there yes for next 10 years .

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I assume the Raiders want both TEs but if they were willing to trade Mayer, I'd hope JD would be all in on that.  I'd trade a 2nd rounder for him.

So you don't have any belief in futures for Ruckert or Kuntz at all then.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you don't have any belief in futures for Ruckert or Kuntz at all then.

I know this wasn't @ me , but I'm curious. What's your own expectation for those 2? I think it would be naive of the Jets not to keep bringing in more TEs and trying to find their own LaPorta or Kincaid.

Kuntz hasn't played an NFL snap, and Ruckert is looking like his ceiling is somewhere between "career TE2" and "average NFL TE". It'd be no shame on Ruckert if he was our long term TE2 with his quality blocking and reliable hands, but the upside feels a little limited, no?

14 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Ruckert is looking like his ceiling is somewhere between "career TE2" and "average NFL TE". It'd be no shame on Ruckert if he was our long term TE2 with his quality blocking and reliable hands, but the upside feels a little limited, no?

A TE who is a quality blocker and has reliable hands is a #2 type with limited upside?  
All of this off of a limited # of snaps?

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

A TE who is a quality blocker and has reliable hands is a #2 type with limited upside?  
All of this off of a limited # of snaps?

... yes? Good blocking and hands are the bare minimum for an NFL TE1. And I did say he still looks like he could be a league average starter. 

Look, I WANT Ruckert to be a home grown superstar tight end, and I realize TEs often develop slower. But in a league where LaPorta, Kincaid, and Pitts got used right away for their receiving upside, wouldn't the Jets be giving ruckert more play time if he was already showing that kind of potential? Ruckert has 159 receiving yards in 2 years. You can chalk it up to lack of use, but if he was that good he could jump Conklin and (formerly) Uzomah on the depth chart. 

I think it's more realistic than pessimistic to guess the Jets will be looking for a more dynamic receiving tight end in the future. Let's hope I'm wrong dude 

Mayer in 2023 - 27 catches, 304 yards, 11.3 avg, 2 TDs

Ruckert in 2023 - 16 catches, 151 yards, 9.4 avg, 0 TDs

Hard to say that one is head and shoulders better than the other IMHO.

I know it's not all about stats as they don't cover run blocking ability, or account for celing, but I'd far rather we work with the guy we drafted and increase his targets where we can. We drafted him for a reason - just like the Raiders drafted Mayers, and Bowers, for a reason.

Enough with the Madden-style roster building. 

• Upvote 1