PFF- A

Objectively it was a very good draft. The Jets are finally in a position where drafting a day one starter is not a necessity. The roster is built from top to bottom to allow depth picks while also fortifying future starters. 

I loved this draft class. Not flashy but big time pickups. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

The range on grades seems to be A to B

if you figure in they have the Lions 3rd next year and Rodgers for a second, it’s probably an A

Rodgers is 40 and has played 4 snaps and has cost us 2 seconds and a trade down in the first, plus  a huge #1 QB contract.

Trading for a 3 next year seems nice but the lions will be good so it will be a late 3 and i thought we were in 'win now' mode.  We traded 126 for probably around 95 next year.  Picks in trades are usually valued about a full round lower if you have to wait a year for them.  This was no great bargain for the jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers is 40 and has played 4 snaps and has cost us 2 seconds and a trade down in the first, plus  a huge #1 QB contract.

Trading for a 3 next year seems nice but the lions will be good so it will be a late 3 and i thought we were in 'win now' mode.  We traded 126 for probably around 95 next year.  Picks in trades are usually valued about a full round lower if you have to wait a year for them.  This was no great bargain for the jets.

It was a pretty good bargain. Think of it this way - that pick pays for Hasaan Reddick, and then some. And THAT move was to win now.

I'm meh on this draft class, but the trade back a year was a solid move. JDs round 4 was confusing but that was the most sensible move of the bunch (given that we took another RB later)

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

It was a pretty good bargain. Think of it this way - that pick pays for Hasaan Reddick, and then some. And THAT move was to win now.

I'm meh on this draft class, but the trade back a year was a solid move. JDs round 4 was confusing but that was the most sensible move of the bunch (given that we took another RB later)

You can go a long long long ways back to justify trades if you are using reddick as the reason the trade was good.  We will gain about 30 spots in the draft at the price of waiting a full year.   That kind of move is made by teams that are built, have won or made the playoffs and are solid all around.  There were a lot of good players on the board in positions still of need.

It is what it is but that is a 'we are good' move and I do not think the jets are 'we are good'

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You can go a long long long ways back to justify trades if you are using reddick as the reason the trade was good.  We will gain about 30 spots in the draft at the price of waiting a full year.   That kind of move is made by teams that are built, have won or made the playoffs and are solid all around.  There were a lot of good players on the board in positions still of need.

It is what it is but that is a 'we are good' move and I do not think the jets are 'we are good'

Can't argue with that. I certainly wouldn't have been upset if we just used the pick.

I will say, I'm not sure there was any players out there who'd help us "win now" by round 4. Especially considering we got the RB we needed anyway (though i did want Jalen Wright). I'd hear an argument for WR but at the same time, that'd be the 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart.

A 3rd next year will seem a hell of a lot sexier when everyone is glad we still have 2 picks on day 2, unlike this year where missing the 2nd kinda hurt. I understand being bitter about the trade but personally I think it was wise. 

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

While I don't endorse this view (and I'm not saying you do, either) - consider this too. If you REALLLLLY hated JD and his admittedly subpar drafting skills, at least you could take solace in the fact that it might be another GM taking this pick haha. I doubt it, but who knows?

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I’m looking forward to seeing all these fourth round studs he passed on in this draft to get a top 100 pick next year. I get that trashing JD is your thing, but all the analytics dudes will tell you that there’s no better move in the draft than trading for future picks. I also don’t see all these needs. Honestly, didn’t see a ton of roster spots. That’s a killer move in the late fourth round. 

Even if there was a big need, you’re not likely to fill many starting roles (outside of maybe RB) with a fourth round pick. I’d’ve been really happy with an IOL late, for instance, but that’s a role they can fill with a cheap vet. 

Reddick has nothing to do with it for me. Jets get their third rounder next year but don’t owe one to the Eagles until 2026. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m looking forward to seeing Reddick has nothing to do with it for me. Jets get their third rounder next year but don’t owe one to the Eagles until 2026. 

This is definitely fair, I just like thinking of it that way. We got a "free" fourth and fifth rounder moving back to 11, and turned one into the equivalent value for Reddick, and the other helped us move up for Corley.

Also, I was a bit disappointed JD sacrificed a pick in the potential post-Rodgers era, so it was a bit of karmic balance to me. Obviously the two trades aren't directly linked, but I'm glad management is looking at both now and the future. 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m looking forward to seeing all these fourth round studs he passed on in this draft to get a top 100 pick next year. I get that trashing JD is your thing, but all the analytics dudes will tell you that there’s no better move in the draft than trading for future picks. I also don’t see all these needs. Honestly, didn’t see a ton of roster spots. That’s a killer move in the late fourth round. 

Even if there was a big need, you’re not likely to fill many starting roles (outside of maybe RB) with a fourth round pick. I’d’ve been really happy with an IOL late, for instance, but that’s a role they can fill with a cheap vet. 

Reddick has nothing to do with it for me. Jets get their third rounder next year but don’t owe one to the Eagles until 2026. 

People also seem to totally discount that the 3rd rounder next year could be used as a bargaining chip before the trade deadline.

Getting the future 3rd was great.

The only questionable trade was giving up one of the 4th’s for two 5th round comp picks.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This is definitely fair, I just like thinking of it that way. We got a "free" fourth and fifth rounder moving back to 11, and turned one into the equivalent value for Reddick, and the other helped us move up for Corley.

Also, I was a bit disappointed JD sacrificed a pick in the potential post-Rodgers era, so it was a bit of karmic balance to me. Obviously the two trades aren't directly linked, but I'm glad management is looking at both now and the future. 

Rosen accepted that pick because a 2026 third rounder is far more likely to be an asset over the long haul than a 2025 fourth rounder or fifth rounder this year - picks that were considered equal in value, trade-wise, before the draft. Conversely, trading a fourth rounder this year for a third next year will be far more likely to be a more valuable player over the long haul. Unless you had some can’t miss player in your sights in the fourth round this year (please, tell me who!), it’s a good bet that the Jets should be able to get a better player in the third next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The only questionable trade was giving up one of the 4th’s for two 5th round comp picks.

I liked that one better than trading down beyond the chart value for a sixth. At least that one matched the value. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Rosen accepted that pick because a 2026 third rounder is far more likely to be an asset over the long haul than a 2025 fourth rounder or fifth rounder this year - picks that were considered equal in value, trade-wise, before the draft. Conversely, trading a fourth rounder this year for a third next year will be far more likely to be a more valuable player over the long haul. Unless you had some can’t miss player in your sights in the fourth round this year (please, tell me who!), it’s a good bet that the Jets should be able to get a better player in the third next year. 

Agreed. I don't fully subscribe to the "next year's picks are worth a round less" theory either, especially going down even more rounds in further future years. 

I think it's more of a way for GMs to remind themselves that trading bonanzas of picks for future years is less perfect than it sounds on paper. And that trading players now for future picks may not yield the payoff you'd imagine due to the emphasis on succeeding NOW in every NFL year (and the unintended negative impacts of losing, such as less free agency pullor ability to re sign players). But in isolated cases, moving one way or the other (future or past) is pretty equivalent to me. Always take value if it's there. But I'm just an armchair gm

Stiggers has really good size for the position and spent a year playing against good competition on a larger field in the CFL. I think he looks like an excellent find who can possibly replace DJ Reed and allow us to save money or take over as the slot if MC becomes too expensive.

The real wildcard is Jordan Travis.  I really dont care about his injury or his age.  If he sits for 2 years, he would be a 26 year old starter which is fine.  Everyone knows how good a runner he is, but he also has excellent mechanics and protected the ball well in his last 2 seasons.  The negatives are arm strength (overrated trait), the injury, propensity to take sacks and sometimes force the ball.  While I dont have much faith in Hackett to develop anyone, Rogers should be able to have a good influence on him and maybe allow Travis to out-play his projection and actually become a starter.  If not, we could have a solid backup who can run. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Let’s hope not.
We’re actually hoping to win more than 7 games this year.

Winning seasons here are like what hole in ones are like in your world. Few, far between and now  Im not even sure they exist. 

• Haha 1

Bad news guys.  Cynthia Frelund and Bucky brooks graded the AFCE and the jets got the highest grade , B+.  

I don’t know how you guys are going to be able to handle the mental challenges of seeing the Jets receiving praise and success and winning. It’s going to be tough but I believe in you.  

In  the first too early mock draft it looks like the Jets are not expected to suck.   

what do you figure is a good budget for 4 to go to a playoff game with a hotel room? 3k ? 

IMG_8925.png

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Who?

• jetsons changed the title to PFF's Breakdown of Jets 2024 Draft ...