Cimini on JMac

Maxman

McCareins caught in Jet shuffle

Could lose job to Cotchery

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

564-mccareins_justin.JPGJustin McCareins is unsure of Jet role. Justin McCareins began training camp in Eric Mangini's doghouse, the penalty for not passing the Jets' pre-camp conditioning test. It wasn't the best way to get started under a new coach, but at least he knew where he stood.

Now, who knows?

McCareins, who started every game the last two seasons, appears to be in danger of losing his starting job. This week, he has been practicing with the second-string offense, working behind Laveranues Coles at split end - a new spot for McCareins. Ordinarily, he's the flanker.

That change, combined with the strong camp of Jerricho Cotchery (this week's No.1 flanker), has prompted speculation about McCareins' future. Clearly, McCareins is perplexed by the developments. Consider his response yesterday when asked if he's concerned about losing his job.

"Let me think about what I'm going to say right here," he said, trying to give an honest reply without upsetting the Jets' thought police.

Pause.

Finally, McCareins' answer:

"I'm doing what I'm told. Honestly. If that's what they want to do....Jerricho has been playing well and Tim (Dwight) has been playing well. It's on them with what they want to do with me. I'm going day by day and trying to be the best I can be."

Give him credit for restraint.

Mangini downplayed McCareins' status on the second team, claiming it's just part of a rotation. That may be true, but it's interesting to note that Coles, their best receiver, isn't part of any such shuffling. Truth is, he's one of the few players on the team who has the same role every day.

The rookie coach is trying to create versatility, and that could be his motivation for moving McCareins to split end. That's McCareins' hunch, anyway. He never got an explanation from the coaches. Didn't ask for one, either.

"Maybe there's something else to it, but honestly, you'd have to ask them," McCareins said. "I haven't taken it upon myself to see what it means."

The Jets paid a lot for McCareins in 2004, trading a second-round pick to the Titans and signing him to a seven-year, $28 million contract, but he hasn't delivered the anticipated production. In twoyears, he has 99 receptions and only six touchdowns, although his 16.6 yards-per-catch average last season was the fifth-best in the league since 2001.

Then came the conditioning test on the eve of camp.

McCareins reportedly cramped up and couldn't complete the test, but Mangini showed no sympathy. Perhaps trying to send a message to the rest of the team, he flunked McCareins and placed him on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the first day of camp. McCareins was banished to the sideline, but still was required to be in full pads - which had to be humiliating.

"Obviously, not the way you want to start training camp, but I'm trying to look forward," said McCareins, who accepted the punishment without complaint.

Now the rumor mill is churning, with conspiracy theorists speculating that he could be traded for a much-needed running back. If that happens, the Jets would take a sizable salary-cap hit. Currently, McCareins counts $3.2 million on the cap, but they'd get stuck with $4 million in "dead" money if they trade him - the remaining pro-rated portion of his $6 million signing bonus. "He's made some nice strides over the past couple of weeks," Mangini said. As a reward, McCareins gets to play with the backups.

I think alot of this is to motivate JMac to play harder..it has been reported in the past that even though the coaches were hard on him in Tenn that is when he played best

That's very true. 'dinger was a tough SOB when he was with Fisher in Tennessee.

Interesting about trading him and just absorbing the hit. That is a testament to Cotch. Dwight has looked good to as long as some kids. No Chas Gessner's in this camp.

Jetcane mentioned a Carolina guy (Wallace Wright) was looking good in TC, as is Newhouse. Maybe we end up with Coles, Cotchery, Dwight, Smith, Newhouse, Wright and McCareins ends up in Denver, Atlanta, or San Francisco?

Jetcane mentioned a Carolina guy (Wallace Wright) was looking good in TC, as is Newhouse. Maybe we end up with Coles, Cotchery, Dwight, Smith, Newhouse, Wright and McCareins ends up in Denver, Atlanta, or San Francisco?

True Beans. But WW may get caught in a numbers game, and another problem he is facing is that he and Newhouse are almost clones and are competing for the same spot.

Currently, McCareins counts $3.2 million on the cap, but they'd get stuck with $4 million in "dead" money if they trade him

This is a BIG problem.

Interesting about trading him and just absorbing the hit. That is a testament to Cotch. Dwight has looked good to as long as some kids. No Chas Gessner's in this camp.

Not true.

Reggie Newhouse is improving everyday and has been impressing the coaching staff. The team likes a 1-5 WR set of:

1. Coles

2. Cotchery

3. Dwight

4. B.Smith

5. Newhouse

McCareins has been a disappointment- we needed a receiver to step up to help out the offense and he came up short on clutch grabs last year especially.

there are not many clutch grabs to be had in a 4-12 season. we had no qb, you have to go back a year for any meaningful pass-related stats.

True Beans. But WW may get caught in a numbers game, and another problem he is facing is that he and Newhouse are almost clones and are competing for the same spot.

This is a BIG problem.

Wright is a nice player - I live in NC (actually, I work at UNC) and have watched the kid play some. He'd be nice to keep around if possible. I don't think the cap hit on JMac is a show stopper - there is roomn to cut some dead-wood (although I don't tink JMac qualifies as such).

Not true.

Reggie Newhouse is improving everyday and has been impressing the coaching staff. The team likes a 1-5 WR set of:

1. Coles

2. Cotchery

3. Dwight

4. B.Smith

5. Newhouse

i agree here....BYE BYE J-MAC

As much as I'm not a fan of JMac & think he may get outright released (his contract is too expensive for anyone to want to trade for him), I don't think he should be released. If we get an injury to Coles or Cotchery, then who starts?

This year's cap # is irrelevant since we aren't 8 bucks under the cap. Next year it'll cost $1M more to keep him than cut him (on what will be a $110M cap that's pretty insignificant). I think barring a remarkable turnaround for better or for worse, he "should" get cut after the '07 season is over. Since there's so little (if any) cap relief that we'd need for other players, you telling me he's useless even as a #5 WR?

This is really Justin's moment of truth. I'm glad as hell Mangini is making an example of him. In his case the mental toughness has to precede physical toughness and Mangini and company doing what they're doing with him is just what the doctor ordered. We've all had the kind of coach that would be in your f'n face screaming at you half the time - but at the end of the day - you knew they appreciated you and would go to the wall for you.

That's not how this is being played and I think it's perfect for the situation.

There's no way J-Mac shows up for camp out of shape. That isn't what he's about and when he cramped up and couldn't finish the test it was a perfect entree for him to become exibit A. It's not a kotex thing with him either, he's not afraid to make a hit and actually knocked himself out cold with a hit on a linebacker in the 03 Titans playoff game. He just needs to be a lot tougher going for the ball and unless he gets that together - he can become the highest paid special teamer around till we find a taker for him.

Dwight will be really good if he is the 4th receiver. Run a couple of plays for him a game. 3rd is stretching it for him.

I liked what I saw from Dwight as the 3 out of the slot last week. I don't think it's something that he can't handle / can't excell at.

I may have misunderstood. Sperm's full quote was:

"I don't think he should be released. If we get an injury to Coles or Cotchery, then who starts?"

So, I said Dwight assuming 81 is not here. If he's here, he would prolly be the 3rd and 17 would be the 4th.

Archived