JETS NEWS for 8/30

NIGHT STALKER

BUT CURTIS IS OUT AT LEAST

SIX WEEKS

By DAN MARTIN

August 30, 2006 -- Curtis Martin will start the year on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. Now, the question is when - or if - he will suit up for the Jets again.

"I spoke with Curtis and the doctors and we've done everything we could, but he's not ready," Eric Mangini said yesterday.

The move means Martin, whose recovery from knee surgery in December has not gone as hoped, is out for at least the first six weeks of the season, after which he can be re-evaluated for the next 21 days.

After that, he will have to be activated or be placed on injured reserve, which would end his season and perhaps his career.

Martin said that despite the unwelcome news, he expects to be back.

"Life is about overcoming odds," Martin said. "I don't plan on quitting now."

Yet he obviously was frustrated by the development.

"I wasn't expecting when I had the surgery that we'd still be talking about this now," said Martin, whose season was cut short by injury a year ago, limiting him to 735 rushing yards in 12 games. "It was a situation where I didn't know [what would happen]."

Martin's absence means likely either Derrick Blaylock or Kevan Barlow will be the starting running back when the season starts in two weeks.

"It will be different, but I trust the guys behind him," QB Chad Pennington said. "You never replace a Hall of Fame-type running back, but they can be very effective."

Although Martin, 33, hasn't received much good news in the last year, he said he thinks he can return at some point.

"Retirement is one of those things," Martin said. "It happens, and whenever that happens, it happens. My mind is just not there. Whenever I allow myself to think that way, then I'll think about it and we'll talk about it."

Mangini said, "He's a unique person. He's made progress, just like anyone who works makes progress."

The fact Martin wouldn't play the season opener didn't faze him all that much.

"The hardest thing for me was not going out the first day of camp," Martin said. "That prepared me for not playing my first game. That was a total perspective shift."

For Blaylock, Barlow and Cedric Houston, Martin's status means they will get more playing time.

"I don't think it puts added pressure on us," Blaylock said.

Despite Barlow's inauspicious first week as a Jet, with controversial comments then a fumble against the Giants, Martin still thinks Barlow is capable of filling in ably.

"Kevan I've known since college," said Martin, who, like Barlow, went to Pitt. "I've tried to coach him to be a good professional. He has amazing ability."

NT Tui Alailefaleula (leg) was placed on injured reserve yesterday; C Trey Teague was taken off PUP and put on the active roster.

Martin goes on shelf

Out till mid-Oct.

BY PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Knee problem will keep Curtis Martin on Jet sideline until at least Week 6. Star running back may be finished.

Chad Pennington will be back behind center when the season opens a week from Sunday, but he won't be handing off to Curtis Martin anytime soon.

The other foregone conclusion among the double-whammy of announcements made by Jets coach Eric Mangini yesterday was that Martin won't be suiting up in green and white until at least Week 7.

The NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher will remain on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list to start the season with a lingering knee injury that required surgery last December, putting his stellar career in jeopardy.

"The hardest thing for me this year was not going out there the first day of camp. That prepared me in case I wasn't able to go out there for the first game," Martin said yesterday at Hofstra. "That blow was like a total perspective shift....It's just coming to grips with what the truth is. It's like winter is coming, and if I don't want it to snow, it's still going to snow."

Starting the season on the PUP list means Martin cannot practice with the team until after Week 6. However, he can work out at the Jets' facilities and attend meetings during that time.

NFL rules dictate that Martin will be permitted to begin practicing with the Jets without counting against their roster anytime after Week 6 (beginning Oct. 17) and after Week 9 (Nov. 7). He can be activated at anytime once he resumes practicing.

Whenever that clock is started, the Jets will have no more than a 21-day window before they must determine whether to place Martin, 33, on the injured list or to activate him.

"There's quite a bit of time," Mangini said, "between Week 6 and Week 12 to make the decision."

While Mangini stressed "odds don't really apply with Curtis," the acknowledgment by the organization that Martin's surgically repaired knee isn't ready only further raises questions about whether he'll be back at all for a 12th NFL season.

"Retirement is another one of those things; whenever that happens, it happens. My mind's just not there yet," said Martin, who tellingly accepted a paycut earlier this month to $810,000, the NFL veteran minimum.

JETS

Sad but inevitable move

Martin's on PUP list, and end could be near

BY BOB HERZOG

Newsday Staff Writer

August 30, 2006

The fourth-leading rusher in NFL history always has been forthcoming. First and foremost, Curtis Martin is a realist. So yesterday's announcement by coach Eric Mangini that Martin would begin the season on the "physically unable to perform" list was hardly shocking.

"If winter is coming up and I don't want it to snow, it's still going to snow," Martin said. "I've always been good at accepting what is. There's nothing I can do about that. Over the years, regardless of what's wrong, I'm pushing the envelope until I just can't, until circumstances tell me otherwise. Then you just come to grips with what the truth is."

But sometimes the truth hurts, and that's been the case for Martin this summer. He was distressed when he reported to training camp last month and was immediately put on the PUP list because he had not recovered from surgery on his right knee in December. That development did what tacklers couldn't do for the past 11 seasons: shut down the dogged running back who has gained 14,101 yards.

"The hardest thing for me this year was not going out there the first day of camp. That was like a total perspective shift," Martin said. "That's never happened to me, but that prepared me in case I wasn't able to go out for the first game. The way I work, I kind of deal with things initially and then I'm OK with them."

So despite his obvious frustration at not being able to practice or play with the team he has been with since 1998, Martin continues to work hard at rehabilitation and on being able to contribute to the Jets in any way he can.

"He studies [the playbook] as hard as anybody. Whether he is playing or not, I can ask him a question about the game plan and he is going to get it right," Mangini said.

"He is a role model. He is a role model for the younger players and in the way he approaches everything. He is a great source to me for insight. He is a guy I bounce questions off of and I learn from. He is an outstanding person and an outstanding player. He has worked as hard as he can possibly work and we have worked as hard as we could to hopefully get him ready for opening day. It just became clear that is not going to be an option."

In the meantime, Kevan Barlow, Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston will share the running back load. Is it reasonable to expect Martin to return after missing all this time?

"I think with Curtis, odds don't really apply," Mangini said. "He's always defied odds in everything he had done."

Martin, 33, refused to disclose details about his knee, as per Mangini's team-wide policy of not discussing injuries, and he wouldn't confirm reports that he has the dreaded bone-on-bone condition. He also refused to be pessimistic about his prospects of playing for the Jets again.

"You expect the best, and that's the way I approach everything," he said. "I've been confident a long time."

Has he considered that his long career might be over?

"Retirement is one of those things. It happens when it happens," Martin said. "My mind is just not there. What keeps me going more than anything is the commitment that I have to the team. I don't know a plainer way to say that."

PUP list options

Under NFL rules, Curtis Martin cannot participate in team practices or be activated until after Week 6. Then there is a 21-day window through Week 9, during which a decision can be reached about adding him to the roster. There is a similar 21-day window after Week 9. Translation: He can be activated between Week 6 and Week 12.

More | Subscribe | 14-Day Archives (Free) | Long-Term Archives (Paid)

Injured Martin will miss first 6 games -- and may never return

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

BY COLIN STEPHENSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The decision was hardly a shock. But Eric Mangini's announcement yesterday that Curtis Martin will begin the season on the NFL's physically unable to perform list was still pretty jarring.

"He's worked as hard as you can work to get ready for the start of the season, and we've had a really good program in place," the head coach said at the Jets' complex at Hofstra University. "He's just not going to be ready for the start of the season."

What Mangini would not say, but seems painfully logical, is that, with 11 seasons and 14,101 yards on Martin's odometer, the announcement could well signal the end of his career.

"With Curtis, odds don't really apply," Mangini said when asked what the likelihood is that Martin has played his last NFL game. "He's always defied odds in everything that he's done."

The decision to keep Martin on the PUP list means he cannot play -- or practice with the team -- for at least the first six weeks of the regular season.

The move is one more blow for a Jets offense already led by an injury-prone quarterback and a running game that, for now, amounts to a committee. The front-runner to replace Martin is Derrick Blaylock, but the Jets already have made two trades so far this preseason to bring in other running backs.

For fans, the latest news is especially frustrating because the Jets let Martin's heir apparent, Lamont Jordan, sign a free-agent contract with the Raiders before last season. Jordan ran for 1,025 yards in his initial season in Oakland.

Martin, 33, seemed to take yesterday's announcement in stride.

"I like to think I've always been good at accepting what it is, and this is what it is," he said. "Some things are out of your control and some things you control. And that's why it's important that we do what's within my control to get out there (and play) as soon as possible."

Martin said he is confident he will play this season, but he didn't sound that upbeat. He admitted he "wasn't quite expecting that (this long after) the surgery I would still be talking about this."

The Jets' all-time leading rusher with 10,302 yards in eight seasons after signing with the team as a restricted free agent from New England in 1998, Martin is the fourth-leading rusher in NFL history and no doubt has a date for induction to Pro Football Hall of Fame not long after he becomes eligible. He led the NFL in rushing in 2004 (at 31, he was the oldest man ever to do so) and that year became just the second running back, after Barry Sanders, to run for 1,000 or more yards in each of his first 10 seasons.

But Martin finished last season on the injured reserve list, missing the final three games with what the team described as a sprained right knee. He failed to gain 1,000 yards for the first time in his career (he had 735) and had arthroscopic surgery in mid-December. The surgery was thought to be routine, but it was the second surgery on the same knee in consecutive years. And when training camp began last month, Martin still wasn't healthy and he was placed on the preseason PUP list.

Several weeks ago, a Jets team official told The Star-Ledger that there was no cartilage in Martin's knee and the knee was "bone on bone."

The same official said Martin had been so concerned about the slowness of his recovery, that in the spring he told the organization's braintrust to select a running back high in the NFL Draft. The Jets drafted Florida State's Leon Washington in the fourth round.

Chiefs coach Herman Edwards, who coached Martin the past five seasons with the Jets, said yesterday that the running back's play was often overlooked.

"When Curtis Martin stepped on the field you knew one thing -- whatever he had in his heart or in his body he was going to give," Edwards said. "You're talking about a great player, you're not talking about just a guy. This guy was a great football player, and he'll probably never get the credit for that."

Chad Pennington, who Mangini finally officially named the starting quarterback yesterday, said he enjoyed playing with Martin the past six years.

"I've been fortunate to play with a true professional at the running back position," Pennington said. "(Martin)'s been great to me, he's been a great friend and a mentor to me. It will be different ... you never replace a Hall of Fame-type running back, but at the same time (the other running backs) can come in and be very effective and help us win."

Martin, though, is still trying to give himself every chance to play this season. Last week, he renegotiated his contract, taking a pay cut from $2.5 million to the veteran's minimum of $810,000, which will save the Jets $1.7 million on their salary cap. If Martin ends up not playing at all, he will earn $475,000.

Someone yesterday asked Martin if he has found himself thinking about retirement more in the past few weeks than he was before training camp. He said no.

"Retirement is another one of those things -- it happens," Martin said. "And whenever that happens, it happens. Whenever my mind's just not there. And so whenever I allow myself to think that way, then I'll think about it. And I'm sure we'll talk about it."

Ones who got away

Before the draft in April, Jets running back Curtis Martin told general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini that they might want to consider taking a potential replacement for him with one of their first picks. Instead, they waited until Round 4 to select Leon Washington, an undersized role player.

Here's a quick look at the backs some people contend should have become draft-day Jets:

--Reggie Bush: The Heisman Trophy winner was taken second overall by the Saints, but not before Tannenbaum called them to see what it would take to trade for the choice. New Orleans never got back to him, so forget any notion that Bush could have been had.

--Joseph Addai: The Jets took C Nick Mangold 29th in Round 1, leaving Addai to the Colts with the next pick. He has good size and speed. If he becomes another Edgerrin James in Indy, that'll hurt.

--LenDale White: The Jets could have had the former USC star with the 29th pick or their original choice in Round 2, but they opted to trade down from third to 17th in the round. They then took QB Kellen Clemens four spots after White went to the Titans.

--PAUL NEEDELL

Tackled for a loss

BY VINCENT VELASQUEZ

Star-Ledger Staff

The sequence of events leading to the Jets' decision yesterday to keep Curtis Martin on the physically unable to perform list:

September 18, 2005: Martin suffers what the Jets called a knee sprain. He goes on to start 10 more games.

October 16: Martin rushes for a season-best 148 yards in a 27-17 loss in Buffalo.

December 11: Martin misses his first game since 1998 (119 regular-season starts and 126 starts counting the playoffs). He also missed out on a chance to become the first player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards in each of his first 11 seasons.

December 14: Martin undergoes season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

December 15: Martin says "I just can't wait to get back," a day after his surgery.

June 16, 2006: Martin talks about resting during the off-season at Jets' veterans minicamp. "The one thing I did different was I was forced to take some rest," he said. "I think that worked out good for me. It's the most rest I've had. My legs feel springy again. I feel sort of rejuvenated."

July 27: Jets place Martin on physically unable to perform list for camp.

July 28: The Star-Ledger reports that a team official said, "Martin's injury isn't serious. The Jets just want to buy some time. He'll be back."

August 7: The Star-Ledger reports that a team official said that Martin met with the Jets and told them they should strongly consider selecting a running back high in the draft because of his concern about his ability to play this season.

August 9: Martin doesn't dismiss reports but declines to talk about them.

August 14: Jets deal for Cleveland Brown RB Lee Suggs adding to speculation that Martin wouldn't be ready to play this season. The Jets voided the trade two days later after Suggs failed his physical.

August 20: Jets acquire running back Kevan Barlow from the San Francisco 49ers for a undisclosed draft pick in 2007.

August 22: Reports surface that the Jets and Martin renegotiated his contract.

Yesterday: Martin remains on the physically unable to perform list.

Jets: What's this PUP-py all about?

Okay, so the Jets are keeping future Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin on the NFL's reserve/physically unable to perform list -- better known as PUP -- to start the season.

What exactly does this mean?

Don't be embarrassed if you don't know. Heck, even some bigwigs in the league office still have to go scurrying to get it straight. Here's a four-step guide to understanding the rule:

A player who reports to training camp and can't pass his team's physical goes on the PUP and does not count against the roster limit. He also can't practice with the team.

If the player is not activated during the preseason, he can remain on the PUP to begin the season. That's what is happening with Martin.

Once on the PUP, the player is ineligible to play or practice with his team for the first six weeks of the season. He may attend team meetings, however.

The player may return to practice at any time during weeks seven through nine. At that point, teams have 21 days to put the player on the active roster -- which allows him to play in games. If they do not, they must put him on injured reserve, which ends his season.

Got that? Not so hard to understand after all.

-- PAUL NEEDELL

Pennington Back as No. 1, but Martin Has Far to Go

Curtis Martin, who will remain on the physically unable to perform list through the first six weeks of the season, may be forced to retire.

By KAREN CROUSE

Published: August 30, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Aug. 29

CHAD STARTING OVER

FOR JETS

PENNINGTON GETS HIS OLD JOB BACK

By DAN MARTIN

August 30, 2006 -- Less than a year after undergoing surgery to repair his rotator cuff for the second time, Chad Pennington is again the Jets' starting quarterback.

Eric Mangini finally ended the debate yesterday, making the announcement that Pennington would be under center for the season-opener in Tennessee on Sept. 10.

"I thought quite a bit about this and it became clear to me that he's distinguished himself, especially in the last couple of weeks," said Mangini, who had set up a four-QB rotation in an unusual competition for the top spot. "His presence, his ability to move the team, his leadership, all of the things I've been looking for. He's done an outstanding job."

Pennington hasn't played in a regular-season game since re-injuring his shoulder in Week 3 last season against Jacksonville. Many feared he wouldn't play again after rushing back from his first shoulder surgery.

"I don't know what the statistics are," Pennington said of recovering from this injury. "But the bottom line is performance."

Which, to this point, apparently has been good enough.

"I believed in the plan we had," said Pennington, thought to be the first QB ever to come back from two surgeries like this. "I wasn't surprised with how everything went, but I am relieved. I didn't know what to expect."

Though Pennington has been efficient and better than his competitors (Patrick Ramsey, rookie Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger), he hasn't been spectacular. The Jets have yet to score a point during the preseason with Pennington on the field. And with Curtis Martin on the shelf at least until Week 6, the rest of the offense hasn't instilled confidence in anyone.

Despite the lack of production, Mangini said he saw in practice Monday what he needed to see from 30-year-old Pennington to give him his job back.

"About five different situations came up and he made smart, heady decisions," Mangini said. "It's clear at this point that he's the guy."

Mangini's decision ends a months-long competition that went on longer than nearly anyone could have predicted. The coach said that despite opting for the most-established candidate, he had not made up his mind until now.

"I didn't come in with any set roster, set depth chart, set ideas with who was going to be where," Mangini said. "Everybody had a chance to win a job."

Mangini saw enough this week.

"Once someone really distinguished himself away from the group," Mangini said of his timeframe. "If that had happened, this announcement would have come a lot sooner. It was a legitimate competition."

Pennington said his place at the top of the depth chart won't alter what he is doing during practice.

"Nothing really changes," Pennington said.

But Laveraneus Coles said it took "the pressure off" of his teammate.

"Me and Chad have the same vision," Coles said. "I know what he's thinking."

The remaining QBs will play Friday in the preseason finale against the Eagles; Pennington will not. Yesterday, Mangini stood behind his plan of holding an open audition.

"The competition has been good for everybody," Mangini said.

Now that it's over, the Jets have an offense to build.

"With the system we're putting in and all the changes, the focus is on individual effort," Pennington said. "Over the next week-and-a-half we'll definitely be making an emphasis on getting some timing and more chemistry down with my receivers."

Chad is Mangini's man

QB gets call despite pointless preseason

BY PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Chad Pennington hasn't led the Jets to a win - or even a scoring drive - during the preseason, but he officially has scored his most important victory this summer.

Nearly 11 months after undergoing his second rotator-cuff surgery, Pennington was tabbed yesterday by Eric Mangini as the winner of an underwhelming four-man race to be the Jets' starting quarterback in their season opener Sept. 10 in Tennessee.

"It's become really clear to me he's distinguished himself in the way I was looking for," Mangini said in an atypically revealing press conference, which also included the official announcement that running back Curtis Martin (knee) won't be ready to start the season. "Chad's made great progress in the preseason, especially the last couple weeks.

"That consistency I've been looking for has been there. His presence, his ability to move the team, his leadership, all of those things I've been looking for. He's done an outstanding job.

"It's clear to me he should be the starter. And he will be."

Pennington was knocked out of the Jets' Week 3 game last season against Jacksonville and he underwent reconstructive shoulder surgery on Oct. 6, 2005.

The former first-round pick hasn't always looked sharp or strong-armed in his bid to regain his starting job throughout camp, with just a 60.8 rating and two turnovers in two preseason games. (He missed the Jets' lone win, against Washington, to be with his ill father).

Pennington also has been one of three quarterbacks during the preseason to play at least 10 offensive possessions without leading his team to any points, joining Washington's Mark Brunell and Philadelphia's Koy Detmer.

Still, Pennington lasted 2-1/2 quarters last Friday against the Giants, and felt better about his timing and his ability to throw the ball downfield, especially on a 40-yard completion to Justin McCareins. Mangini also cited Pennington's "heady" reads and throws in recent practices as another determining factor.

"Coach made a decision today, but I'm as focused as I've always been," said Pennington, who threw for 125yards (11-for-20) against the Giants. "Nothing's changed as far as my focus and preparation.

"I believed in the plan we had, and think the organization did a great job in looking at all the expertise and advice...to do the right things to get me back to playing at a high level. I wasn't surprised how everything went, just more or less relieved, because I didn't know what to expect."

Pennington won't dress for Friday's preseason finale against Philadelphia, leaving a competition among Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger and rookie Kellen Clemens for the final two QB spots. Clemens, the Jets' second-round pick out of Oregon, appears to be the most likely to make the 53-man squad. Mangini used him first off the bench to replace Pennington against the Giants.

That leaves a battle between Bollinger, who made nine 2005 starts in place of Pennington and then-backup Jay Fiedler, and Ramsey, the former Redskin who's been used for barely 20 plays in the preseason.

"(Mangini's) had a long time to evaluate all of us, in practice and games, and Chad's done a real good job," Ramsey said. "We've all had opportunities to impress them in different situations....I just want to do well this week and let everything else take care of itself."

Originally published on August 30, 2006

AS EXPECTED, CHAD'S NO. 1

Pennington smarts,

BY BOB HERZOG

Newsday Staff Writer

August 30, 2006

It may have been an open competition at the start of camp, but for some time now, it's been case closed. So, after several days of double-talk by Eric Mangini about the identity of his starting quarterback for 2006, there were no double takes after yesterday's pronouncement that Chad Pennington had won the job.

"I thought quite a bit about this and it has become clear to me that he has distinguished himself in the way that I was looking for and he has made great progress throughout the preseason, especially over the last couple of weeks," Mangini said.

"That consistency that I look for has been there. His presence and his ability to move the team, his leadership; all those things I have been looking for, he has done an outstanding job with."

Based on a preseason in which Pennington has shown that he regained all of his arm strength after a second surgery on his right shoulder, it's been a matter of when, not if, the 30-year-old in his seventh season would reclaim his starting job.

"I wasn't surprised how well everything went, but I was more or less relieved because I didn't know what to expect," Pennington said about his surgery and rehab. "The organization did a great job looking at all the advice and expertise on shoulders to do the right things to get me playing back at a high level."

Mangini, who could have waited until right before the season opener at Tennessee Sept. 10 to name Pennington, explained why he moved up his timetable.

"As I was watching practice [Monday], there were about five different situations that came up where he made really smart, heady, good decisions," Mangini said. "It was clear at that point that this was the way to go."

Pennington didn't stifle a yawn when approached by reporters in the locker room, but he did smile and say, several times, "Nothing has changed."

"When I've prepared, when I've studied, no matter if I'm in there with whatever string is playing, I approach everything like I'm the starter," Pennington said. "I approach everything to make myself better. I learned a lot from being under Vinny [Testaverde]. He always stayed on an even keel; he never went too high or too low."

Pennington downplayed Mangini's praise, saying, "Every practice you think there are things that went well and some things that I can continue to work on," he said. "I've tried to home in on the details of this offense so that we can make it perform well, be explosive and score points."

Although the Jets hardly appear explosive, Mangini clearly trusts Pennington more than he does Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger.

Official at last: It's Pennington

BY COLIN STEPHENSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Coach Eric Mangini, deciding he didn't need to prolong the quarterback battle anymore, announced that Chad Pennington will be the starter for the season opener in Tennessee Sept. 10.

"It has become really clear to me that (Pennington) has distinguished himself in the way that I was looking for," Mangini said. "And he's made great progress this preseason -- especially over the last couple weeks. ... His presence, his ability to move the team, his ability to -- leadership, all those things that I've been looking for, he's done an outstanding job with. And it's clear to me that he should be the starter."

Pennington will not play in Friday's final preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles, but the other three quarterbacks on the roster -- Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger and rookie Kellen Clemens -- will be battling it out to see which of them will be the backup to Pennington.

Asked why he chose to name Pennington yesterday (a team official had told The Star-Ledger four weeks ago that Mangini already had settled on Pennington as the starter) Mangini said Pennington had a particularly impressive practice Monday that sealed the deal.

"I was watching practice yesterday, and there was about five different situations that came up where he just made really smart, heady, good decisions," the coach said. "It was just clear at that point that this was the way to go."

Pennington, who apparently has recovered enough from two surgeries on the rotator cuff of his right (throwing) shoulder, said the announcement wouldn't change his approach to practicing.

"Nothing really changes, to be honest," he said. "When I've prepared, when I've studied, no matter if I'm in there with whatever string is in there playing, I approach everything like I'm the starter. I approach everything to get better and to make myself better. That's the way I've always looked at. I learned a lot from being under Vinny (Testaverde). That's the way he always did things. He always stayed on an even keel, he never went too high or too low."

Despite an uneven training camp, Ramsey, who came over from Washington in the off-season, is considered the front-runner to earn the No. 2 job, with Clemens the likely No. 3. That appears to leave Bollinger -- who started nine games last season after Pennington and backup Jay Fiedler both suffered season-ending injuries -- as the odd man out. He could be traded or released before the team cuts down to the 53-man roster on Saturday.

"Obviously, everybody wants to play, but at this point, I step into whatever my role is on this football team and try to make the most of it and help us win," Ramsey said.

Curtis Martin is the only player on the PUP list. C Trey Teague (ankle) was activated and placed on the 75-man roster.... DT Tui Alailefaleula, a rookie free agent out of Washington, was placed on injured reserve with a leg injury....

DL Kimo von Oelhoffen, the former Steeler whose hit on Cincinnati QB Carson Palmer in a first-round playoff game in January was the one that caused Palmer to tear the ACL in his left knee, said he did not watch Palmer make his return to action in Monday's preseason game against Green Bay. "I'm very happy for the kid," von Oelhoffen said when informed Palmer had three TD passes in his return.

THE JETS' BEST

CHANCE TO WIN

August 30, 2006 -- STRONG move on the part of Eric Mangini, naming Chad Pennington the Jets' starting quarterback yesterday.

OK, so we all knew Pennington was going to be Mangini's man behind center. Though it hasn't exactly looked artistic, and Pennington has yet to produce any points in preseason games, he outperformed his competition all summer.

This never has been about when Mangini should let the media know who his starting quarterback was going to be. It's been about letting the team know.

That's the most important thing to come out of yesterday's announcement by Mangini that Pennington is his man: To let the players around Pennington know who their leader is going into a season that already is riddled with uncertainties because of the new coaching staff, system and player turnover.

"I know it takes the pressure off of Chad," Laveranues Coles said. "It's good to have him as the leader of this team again; not that he had lost his leadership role (during the competition). Me and Chad have the same vision. We know what the other one is thinking."

That can and might be the team's best offensive weapon.

Pennington is, simply, a better quarterback than Patrick Ramsey, the veteran the Jets brought in to compete for the starting job. Pennington is more experienced, more poised, and a better, quicker decision-maker than Ramsey is.

The only thing Ramsey tantalized you with was a stronger arm, but that isn't enough. That's like boasting that your third baseman has a gun for an arm, but the only problem is he throws the ball over the first baseman's head and into the stands every time he gets it.

Pennington always has been better than gritty Brooks Bollinger and, for now, he's better than rookie draft pick Kellen Clemens, who might be the Jets' future.

By announcing this decision, Mangini already has made his team better today than it was yesterday, because he's solidified the most important position on the team. The team knows who its leader is now and can move forward in its preparation for the season opener, Sept. 10 at Tennessee.

Pennington, who won't play in Friday night's preseason finale against the Eagles, can now focus his attention on the Titans. Ramsey and Bollinger will fight it out against Philadelphia for the third QB roster spot, because Clemens has made the team.

"Nothing has changed with my preparation," Pennington said. "I'm excited to help my team win. I've believed in the plan we had. I wasn't surprised with how everything went, but I am relieved."

Mangini has been spoofed for being so cloak-and-dagger about this quarterback competition all summer. Today he should be praised for putting any questions his players have about who their leader is to rest.

"I thought quite a bit about this and it became clear to me that he's distinguished himself, especially in the last couple of weeks," Mangini said yesterday. "His presence, his ability to move the team, his leadership, all of the things I've been looking for (have stood out). He's done an outstanding job.

"It's clear at this point. He's clearly the guy. It has to be the guy who gives us the best chance to win."

That is what Pennington represents to the Jets: their best chance to win.

And that's what this coaching thing is all about, isn't it?

QBs bid for backup jobs

BY BOB HERZOG

Newsday Staff Writer

August 30, 2006

With the starting quarterback position officially settled, the race for the remaining two spots enters the home stretch.

Patrick Ramsey, the five-year veteran with starting experience in Washington who was given a contract extension when signed by the Jets; Kellen Clemens, the highly regarded second-round draft choice, and Brooks Bollinger, the mobile four-year veteran, will share the snaps in Friday's preseason finale against the Eagles, while Chad Pennington watches.

Eric Mangini yesterday said, "I don't think it's going to come down to just that game. I think it's going to come down to the same way with Chad, the game, the practices, the consistency, the things we are looking for on a daily basis. The presence in the huddle, all those aspects go into the quarterback position."

Ramsey said he has a good relationship with Pennington and believed it was a fair competition. "My thinking was that I was going to compete for a starting job, just as I was told," he said. "We competed all offseason and throughout training camp."

Kimo glad Palmer's OK

DL Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit on Carson Palmer in the Steelers-Bengals playoff game caused major damage to the Bengals quarterback's left knee. Von Oelhoffen said he was pleased to learn that Palmer played well against the Packers in his first game back Monday night.

"I'm very happy to see him back. He's a great guy," von Oelhoffen said. "Injuries are part of the game, but you never want to see anybody get hurt bad."

Extra points

Offensive lineman Trey Teague, an eight-year veteran who spent the last four seasons with Buffalo, was removed from the PUP list and placed on the active roster ... Rookie Tui Alailefaleula was placed on injured reserve, the third nose tackle the Jets have lost to injury this summer.

QBs bid for backup jobs

BY BOB HERZOG

Newsday Staff Writer

August 30, 2006

With the starting quarterback position officially settled, the race for the remaining two spots enters the home stretch.

Patrick Ramsey, the five-year veteran with starting experience in Washington who was given a contract extension when signed by the Jets; Kellen Clemens, the highly regarded second-round draft choice, and Brooks Bollinger, the mobile four-year veteran, will share the snaps in Friday's preseason finale against the Eagles, while Chad Pennington watches.

Eric Mangini yesterday said, "I don't think it's going to come down to just that game. I think it's going to come down to the same way with Chad, the game, the practices, the consistency, the things we are looking for on a daily basis. The presence in the huddle, all those aspects go into the quarterback position."

Ramsey said he has a good relationship with Pennington and believed it was a fair competition. "My thinking was that I was going to compete for a starting job, just as I was told," he said. "We competed all offseason and throughout training camp."

Kimo glad Palmer's OK

DL Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit on Carson Palmer in the Steelers-Bengals playoff game caused major damage to the Bengals quarterback's left knee. Von Oelhoffen said he was pleased to learn that Palmer played well against the Packers in his first game back Monday night.

"I'm very happy to see him back. He's a great guy," von Oelhoffen said. "Injuries are part of the game, but you never want to see anybody get hurt bad."

Extra points

Offensive lineman Trey Teague, an eight-year veteran who spent the last four seasons with Buffalo, was removed from the PUP list and placed on the active roster ... Rookie Tui Alailefaleula was placed on injured reserve, the third nose tackle the Jets have lost to injury this summer.

Rookie Tui Alailefaleula was placed on injured reserve, the third nose tackle the Jets have lost to injury this summer.

One of our weakest areaa - this is 3-4 experiment is not working out too well.

The latest rumor has the Bears talking with the New York Jets about Justin McCareins, a former Naperville North and Northern Illinois star. McCareins' name was thrown around in talks with the Atlanta Falcons when the Jets were trying to get running back T.J. Duckett, who eventually wound up with the Washington Redskins in a three-team trade that sent Lelie to the Falcons. McCareins has played in 68 NFL games, starting 44, and has 168 receptions for 2,685 yards.

Rookie Tui Alailefaleula was placed on injured reserve, the third nose tackle the Jets have lost to injury this summer.

One of our weakest areaa - this is 3-4 experiment is not working out too well.

here's what's positive about the 3-4

we really don't need a whole lot more in terms of DT

yes I am aware there isn't much behind Dewayne Robertson

but let's not forget the essense of the 3-4 which is you have 3 pluggers and a bunch of speedy guys to make the play

this is not as dire a situation as if the team were primarily 4-3 and they needed to start two quality DTs for most of the snaps

we are desperate for depth but are actually doing ok with starters

ELLIS

D_ROB

VAN_O

is a nice front 3

with

D BALL (as a nickel rusher)

T ADAMS

and maybe a FA to be named later

rotating in won't the end of the world

people have to remember these guys on the bench will not get in the game as much as when the Jets had a 4 man DT rotation

the defense will be fine regardless of who the 10 play per game fellow is that rotates in for DT - what we should be worried about is the offense scoring points

the defense will be fine regardless of who the 10 play per game fellow is that rotates in for DT - what we should be worried about is the offense scoring points

And, based on what has been shown so far this pre-season, that worry is not going away so fast.:character42:

Archived