The 124 F LaMont Jordan Stat Of The Week

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So SoFla, when is a good time during the game to cough up a fumble?

what game was I watching a Sunday night or a Monday night game a few weeks back when Jordan was having a conniption fit after effin up on a late in the game trying to tie it up drive?

A 4th quarter trying to tie it up or win it fumble is always worse than a 1st half cough up-no one can deny that

See my above post.

Gabriel's fumble changed the entire game, especially after the Jets took that turnover and put 7 points on the board. That was probably a 14 point swing in that game.

So you are saying Gabriel's fumble last week against the Jets was not critical because it didn't come in the 4th quarter?

no it was critical, just giving an example....but i thought you were arguing that fumbles werent more critical at any time:confused:

A 4th quarter trying to tie it up or win it fumble is always worse than a 1st half cough up-no one can deny that

Yes, but just as often the 1st half cough up is the reason that you are not going for the tie or win the 4th quarter. Tx is right (for a change) Gabriel spitting that ball up is the reason that game was a nice beating. If he didn't the Pats would have kept their momentum, but that sucked the life right out of them.

So SoFla, when is a good time during the game to cough up a fumble?

any fumble lost that negates a scoring opportunity is always worse than say one at midfield-a red zone cough up is a killer especially in a hard fought close game-there are a bunch of instances I can come up with-which from what I remember is when Jordan usually chose to do it when he was here...

So you are saying Gabriel's fumble last week against the Jets was not critical because it didn't come in the 4th quarter?

yea but the Pats weren't about to score and the Jets could have had a 3 and out-but say if Maroney fumbles at the one and the Jets recover...that's a minus 7 right there-

and SE-it's not the number of fumbles he has compared to say, a Barlow,it's more about WHEN he always seems to do it-in the worst possible and most critical points in a game...

Suggesting Martin, for all his sure-handedness, was immune to that is selective memory at its finest, bro:

How about on the goal-line against Miami last year when the game was still close. Was that a good time?

The 2004 San Diego game must have been a good time. They almost mounted a comeback from the dead.

Fumbled in the 2003 Dallas game - we went on to lose 17-6. Good time to fumble?

Fumbled in the Giants game that same year - we went on to lose 31-28. Was that a good time to fumble?

He fumbled in the last game of the year in 2001 in Oakland, in a win-and-we're-in/lose-and-the-season's-over game. But for John Hall somehow nailing that 53-yarder or whatever it was, Curtis' "timely" fumble would've ended our season.

Or the good time he fumbled when we lost Vinny for the year when we were one of the top 2-3 teams (if not the top team) favored to win the SB that year. A good time like that? If Martin holds onto the ball, Vinny doesn't rupture his achilles & the season isn't pissed away. We went on to win 8 games that season with Rick Mirer & a practice-squad WR at QB. (And still only lost by 2 pts in the opener we lost Vinny vs NE, when Tom Tupa was our QB for half the game). Imagine if we had a veteran, pro-bowl QB instead for that whole game & the 15 others. Martin blew the whole, VERY promising, 1999 season with that fumble - they don't get more costly than that.

I think he also fumbled in the AFC Championship game in '98, but I can't remember for sure.

Martin was not a big fumbler at all. But it goes hand-in-hand with someone who went down on first contact so easily. Jordan isn't a big fumbler either. Big fumblers were an earlier Tiki Barber. Ahman Green used to fumble a lot. Guys like that. Jordan had a few back in 2002 (I think while he had a hand injury) and since then some are convinced he therefore has incurable butterfingers. On 300 touches last year I think he had 1 fumble, and you'd be hard-pressed to parlay that into "always" fumbling at the wrong time.

yea but the Pats weren't about to score and the Jets could have had a 3 and out-but say if Maroney fumbles at the one and the Jets recover...that's a minus 7 right there-

The fumble happened at the Jets 14-yard line.

And the Jets didn't go 3 and out, they went down the field and scored a TD.

any fumble lost that negates a scoring opportunity is always worse than say one at midfield-a red zone cough up is a killer especially in a hard fought close game-there are a bunch of instances I can come up with-which from what I remember is when Jordan usually chose to do it when he was here...

What winnable game did we lose when Jordan fumbled for the Jets? According to NFL.com, he had 5 fumbles in 4 years (4 of them coming in 2002). In 2005 we retained possession (it wasn't a turnover). In 2002, two of the fumbles were lost in a game we lost. Both came in the same game: the 28-3 blowout vs Jacksonville, which we weren't winning no matter what. I doubt the fumbles didn't help much, but Vinny couldn't complete a forward pass that game anyway, then got hurt, then Chad came in and - though he looked far better than Vinny - turned the ball over himself. But the game was long out of hand by then. The other two fumbles came in games we won.

So which winnable game(s) did we lose b/c of a Jordan fumble in the 4 years he was here?

Jordan has fumbled 8 times from 2002-9 games in 2006

Jordan's final 2006 #'s:

9 games, 8 starts

114 attempts, 434 yards, 3.8 ypc average, 2 TD's

10 receptions, 74 yards, 1 fumble - recovered by Denver

;)

My prediction of Jordan not rushing for 1,000 this year will stand and was on pace to stand anyways if he were healthy.:yahoo:

But, honestly, here's to a quick recovery for Justin Fargas' back-up.

Jordan has fumbled 8 times from 2002-9 games in 2006

Jordan's final 2006 #'s:

9 games, 8 starts

114 attempts, 434 yards, 3.8 ypc average, 2 TD's

10 receptions, 74 yards, 1 fumble - recovered by Denver

;)

My prediction of Jordan not rushing for 1,000 this year will stand and was on pace to stand anyways if he were healthy.:yahoo:

But, honestly, here's to a quick recovery for Justin Fargas' back-up.

• I noticed you conspicuously left out 2001 when he had no fumbles, but included 2002 when he had 4.
  • His numbers for 2002 are about as valid today as Pennington's. Coming in cold off the bench like he did in 2002 is not the same as starting & getting into a rhythm. Even you'd agree to that.
  • 2003 he had 0
  • 2004 he had 1
  • 2005 he had 2
  • 2006 he had 1
  • So he had a bad year in 2002. Since then, 631 total touches (rushes/receptions). Are you suggesting that is a bad ratio? 1 fumble every 158 touches?

Since you feel we were better off keeping Martin instead of Jordan, remind me how Martin stacks up to Jordan, since we let him go to Oakland, in the following categories:

• rushing yards
  • receiving yards
  • total yards from scrimmage
  • rushing touchdowns
  • receiving touchdowns
  • total touchdowns
  • touches per fumble (since you like this one)
  • yards per rushing attempt
  • yards per reception
  • 20-yard rushes
  • 20-yard receptions
  • total 20-yard plays

Also, Jordan had an extra 56-yd touchdown called back for holding away from the play on the other side of the field in week 2 last year. Not that any team owned by Al Davis doesn't deserve phantom penalties on a weekly basis, but I'm just saying.

They are also tied in serious knee injuries with 1 apiece.

Archived