Reggie Wayne's Brother Dies in Auto Accident

The Troll

Brother of Wayne killed in traffic accident

NFL.com wire reports

KENNER, La. (Sept. 24, 2006) -- The brother of Indianapolis Colts receiver Reggie Wayne was killed when the delivery truck he was driving crashed into a highway guardrail.

Rashad Wayne was pronounced dead at the scene, said James Gallagher, a spokesman for the Kenner Police Department.

Police responded to a call at 10:15 a.m. about a wreck on westbound Interstate 10. Officers found a Capital City Produce Company truck stopped in the highway's right lane and found the 32-year-old Wayne in the cab with a severe head injury.

A preliminary investigation determined that the truck was traveling in the left lane on the upramp of the interstate bridge, but crossed three lanes as it started fishtailing and then hit the right retaining wall, Gallagher said.

"It slid along the top of the wall on its side a short distance before landing back on its wheels across the lanes leading to Interstate 310," he said.

Rashad Wayne is from Baker, a bedroom community north of Baton Rouge. An autopsy will be performed later to determine the exact cause of his death.

His brother, Reggie Wayne, a New Orleans native, is in his sixth year with the NFL. The Colts played in Indianapolis, but the team did not address the accident and told The Associated Press after the game that a statement was pending.

I don't mean to be critical of Reggie here, and im very sorry for his loss. However, he has pocketed over $20,000,000 from the Colts since 2001, including $13,500,000 as a signing bonus this year. If that were me, my brother would not be driving a delivery truck. Sorry but it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

I don't mean to be critical of Reggie here, and im very sorry for his loss. However, he has pocketed over $20,000,000 from the Colts since 2001, including $13,500,000 as a signing bonus this year. If that were me, my brother would not be driving a delivery truck. Sorry but it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

I seriously thought the same thing.

Can't help it, that is just the way my brain works.

are you and Troll serious?? Do you know anything about his family? Were they close, do you have a clue? Do you have brothers? How can you even try to imply you know anything about why his brother drove a delivery truck, while you sit online and judge. Thats sad.

are you and Troll serious?? Do you know anything about his family? Were they close, do you have a clue? Do you have brothers? How can you even try to imply you know anything about why his brother drove a delivery truck, while you sit online and judge. Thats sad.

easy cowboy, you don't know the facts either..

Some people like to work believe it or not. It may have been something to keep him busy rather then to pay the bills ..In any case, very sad.

Colts rally around Wayne after brother's death

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis' victory celebration turned somber Monday.

The usually boisterous locker room noise was replaced by emotional, thoughtful reflection as Colts players offered support to their grieving receiver, Reggie Wayne.

Wayne's older brother, Rashad, was killed in an automobile accident Sunday -- something Colts players didn't learn until well after Sunday's game ended. After hearing the news, Wayne flew back to his home state of Louisiana so he could help the family make funeral arrangements.

"I was at dinner and I was in a big state of shock, I almost started crying," said Aaron Moorehead, another Indy receiver and one of Wayne's closest friends. "I'm really almost in tears right now. He said he wanted us to pray for him and that's what we're going to do."

Sunday's 21-14 victory over Jacksonville gave Indy the early edge in its quest to win a fourth consecutive AFC South title. But almost before the Colts could savor their 11th straight win over a division foe came word about Wayne's brother.

Rashad Wayne, 32, was killed when the delivery truck he was driving crashed into a highway guardrail in Kenner, La. James Gallagher, a spokesman for the Kenner police department, said Rashad Wayne was pronounced dead at the scene.

The news instantly changed the Colts' perspective.

"That put a damper on a big win for us," coach Tony Dungy said. "Reggie called me right after the game and said he didn't know what happened but that he had to go home. Obviously, that's not a call you want to get."

It's not the first time tragedy has struck the Colts (3-0).

In December, Dungy's oldest son, 18-year-old James, committed suicide in a Florida apartment. In the week leading up to the 2003 AFC championship game, receiver Brandon Stokley missed most of the team's practices when his infant son was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.

Linebacker Gary Brackett, whose mother, father and brother all died in a 16-month span beginning in 2003, acknowledged he understood what Wayne was now dealing with and offered to help the 27-year-old receiver however he could.

"I'm definitely here for him when he gets back here because I personally know what he's going through," Brackett said. "There's a lot of memories and good times you have with a loved one. Knowing they're gone, I think the best way you can honor the dead is by the way you live."

Dungy said the team was still awaiting details about Rashad Wayne's funeral, and that the Colts hoped to send team members to Louisiana for the service.

Reggie Wayne played well in Sunday's 21-14 victory over Jacksonville, catching four passes for 82 yards despite having a spectacular diving 51-yard catch ruled incomplete after Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio challenged the call.

It wasn't until after the game that he -- and his teammates -- knew of the accident.

At Monday's light workout, it was clear his teammates were thinking about him.

"The guys in this locker room, we're like brothers," Stokley said. "We're all playing for Reggie and we're keeping him in our prayers."

When Wayne might return isn't clear.

Indy makes its second trip to The Meadowlands on Sunday, where it faces the New York Jets. The Colts beat the Giants 26-21 in the same venue Sept. 10 in the highly anticipated Manning Bowl.

Wayne is second on the team behind Marvin Harrison with 14 catches for 284 yards. In 2005, Wayne dethroned Harrison as the club's receiving leader by catching a career-high 83 passes for 1,055 yards and five touchdowns.

In 2004, he was part of the NFL's first receiving trio to each have 1,000-yard seasons and at least 10 TD catches and was rewarded during the offseason with a six-year, $39 million contract.

Although Wayne has become a key to the Colts' high-scoring offense, Dungy will not rush him back.

"I know everybody on this team and in this organization will rally around his family like they did for my family, and we'll make arrangements to get as much of our organization as we can down there," Dungy said. "Reggie will be back when he can."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Do you know anything about his family? Were they close, do you have a clue? Do you have brothers? How can you even try to imply you know anything about why his brother drove a delivery truck, while you sit online and judge. Thats sad.

No I don't know anything about his family, so that is why the thought was brought forward.

You should go back and read my post, I don't remember trying to 'imply' why he was driving the truck. Also, I never judged him. I simply said what I would do in that situation.

I do have siblings, and if it were me, I would have a hard time enjoying $20M while they were out working a 9-5 everyday.

Anyway, I'll always say what's on my mind whether it's good or bad, it's just a discussion no need to take it personally dude.

Archived