Tiger fans- Ordonez on Disabled list

faba

Tigers Ordonez out with hernia surgery

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer

April 15, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Outfielder Magglio Ordonez, who signed a five-year, $75 million contract with the Detroit Tigers in the offseason, will undergo hernia surgery and miss at least 4-6 weeks.

Ordonez, who missed all but 52 games with the Chicago White last season because of a knee injury, has been ailing most of the spring.

Manager Alan Trammell had said on Thursday he did not think Ordonez would need to go on the disabled list. But general manager Dave Dombrowski said Friday he was informed by doctors that they had discovered the hernia.

``I'm glad they found it,'' Dombrowski said. ``It's been a situation where he's been quite ill. It's very unusual for somebody who's a very healthy, hardworking 31-year-old person who's had the misfortune he's had. He's had the flu, he's had some infections. There's been a variety of things.''

well, they'll now get the option to void the contract. So he better have a huge season when he comes back or I wouldn't be surprised if DD exercised it.

I was afraid this s*** was going to happen. Very smart to include the DL clause in the deal.

Archived