For all you BJ Askew haters...

lawngnome o-line

It is on routes that position players like FB's and TE's run that is one thing we are lacking. Those two positions are maybe getting 2 receptions a game, and is a part of the jets offense that can be expanded. If defenses have to pull a safety in to help with a TE over the middle or a LB has to go cover the FB in the flat, it leaves gaps for the WR's to run free.

There is no luxury for FB's that can run out for a pass and carry the ball if they can't block. That is the case with Askew. The guy is probably a decent receiver and RB, though he'd never be on the top of anyone's depth chart. But the fact is he can't block, and all FB's must be a solid blocker first before their playmaking skills come into the mix. TE is a different monster. If you have an OL that is sufficient in handling the rush, then you can get away with the luxury of a TE who doesn't block well but is a solid receiver. But if the Ol is shaky then the TE's blocking abilities are far more important than his receiving abilities.

Askew will never get significant playing time as a FB for any team until he learns to be an effective blocker for his RB.

There is no luxury for FB's that can run out for a pass and carry the ball if they can't block. That is the case with Askew. The guy is probably a decent receiver and RB, though he'd never be on the top of anyone's depth chart. But the fact is he can't block, and all FB's must be a solid blocker first before their playmaking skills come into the mix. TE is a different monster. If you have an OL that is sufficient in handling the rush, then you can get away with the luxury of a TE who doesn't block well but is a solid receiver. But if the Ol is shaky then the TE's blocking abilities are far more important than his receiving abilities.

Askew will never get significant playing time as a FB for any team until he learns to be an effective blocker for his RB.

yeah good post booz. I haven't keyed on watching bj block like I have baker. Baker is a solid blocker

i'm surprised to read bj is a lousy blocker

Archived